• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best holiday destinations

Crete was absolutely lovely when I went there last week (aside from Heraklion airport which is crap ha!). Not sure what it’s like in that time of year.

Me and my girlfriend are going to Morocco in December, apparently is still nice enough around then too.

Crete was absolutely lovely when I went there last week (aside from Heraklion airport which is crap ha!). Not sure what it’s like in that time of year.

Me and my girlfriend are going to Morocco in December, apparently is still nice enough around then too.
Rabat is lovely if you go, the Kazbah there is great as is the market, harbour, beach and the food. And yes it's fairly warm in the winter, I went in February and it was mid 20's.

Anyone been to Japan or China?

Booked a trip that has several pre-arranged stops at various towns and cities in both countries but we fly into Tokyo and out from Hong Kong, so are looking to tag a few days on each end to independently explore those in particular. Someone I know who lived in HK years ago said it’s a painful shadow of its former self now under strict Chinese rule and am half tempted just to abort that bit and head back, but Tokyo looks amazing so certainly want to capitalise on that opportunity.

Given the language/culture etc any tips, places to visit, do’s and don’ts would be appreciated.

Went to both last year, for work admittedly, loved Japan - bizarrely very foreign despite them wearing western clothes. Osaka and Fuji (city and mount) both worth a visit.

Hated China, total police state but perhaps different if you visit a tourist part rather than a random city near the North Korean border.

Last edited:
Went to Beijing 20 odd years ago to do some football coaching. Don't remember a great deal apart from the smog, it is huuuuge and food and drink was really cheap

The parks were amazing though and food outstanding.

Language a huge barrier for me and i am pretty sure the taxi driver who I flagged down to take me to the airport ,got back and won money from his mates for getting a foreign type to act the dick. Had to stand on the pavement and do the Steve Bull hat trick celebration before he grasped where I wanted to go.

I've been to Shenzhen which is the nearest big city to Hong Kong. It's enormous but not much to recommend that I saw. Large industrial city built on manufacturing and conferencing. I'd only say go if you just want to say you've been to China

Anyone been to Japan or China?

Booked a trip that has several pre-arranged stops at various towns and cities in both countries but we fly into Tokyo and out from Hong Kong, so are looking to tag a few days on each end to independently explore those in particular. Someone I know who lived in HK years ago said it’s a painful shadow of its former self now under strict Chinese rule and am half tempted just to abort that bit and head back, but Tokyo looks amazing so certainly want to capitalise on that opportunity.

Given the language/culture etc any tips, places to visit, do’s and don’ts would be appreciated.
If you're able to explore only Tokyo independently:
Buy Suica cards (one per person); makes getting around on trains and buses a doddle (you can't tap in and out with a credit card) and you can use them in shops as well (throughout the country).
Get the train to Kamakura to see the big Buddha
If you have kids (or even if you don't), take the (driverless) monorail to Odaiba
teamLab borderless at Azabudai Hills is like nothing you've ever seen before (easy metro ride - everywhere's an easy metro ride in Tokyo). It's popular (at least, it was in April). Book your slot before you leave the UK. Our son says teamLab planets is also amazing, but I haven't been there.
Shibuya Crossing is iconic, and the night lights of Shinjuku, but they're probably on your tour itinerary anyway.
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden was great for the cherry blossom, and reportedly good for autumn leaves (if you're going at the right time; check autumn leaf colour forecasts online).
If you're landing at night (at Haneda, I hope), and travelling into the city by road, have your camera ready to film the lights. It's like driving through a video game.
I've never been to China.

There are some helpful replies there, very much appreciated.

Does sound like Japan is a place to go and China a place to avoid. Taking the ship option with a few days in each place so should hopefully be able to dip in and out and see a little bit of China in a relatively safe and uncomplicated manner. Bit of a box-ticker and not expecting too much so might be pleasantly surprised.

Really looking forward to the Japan stops though, sounds fantastic.

I am staying in Fulda now, which is in Hessen. I have been here many times and there is a completely different feeling here to the old East German Town I have recently visited. The people are more friendly and there is a much higher standard of living. I love Germany.20240915_180401.jpg

Attachments

• 20240915_131259.jpg
    20240915_131259.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240915_123150.jpg
    20240915_123150.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240915_123132.jpg
    20240915_123132.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240915_114459.jpg
    20240915_114459.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240915_131522.jpg
    20240915_131522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Off to Malta tomorrow for a week. Looking forward to some sun and beers... We are forecast to arrive to thunder and rain

Back