• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best holiday destinations

Been in both the past few days and both great choices. Especially Tavira. We stayed and had our evening meal by the river and the atmosphere was lovely plus many good, local restaurants to choose from and a mix of Portuguese and Europeans apart from one pissed up Irish lad holding a glass of red wine and mouthing off at people but very much an outlier. We said next time we come we wouldn't mind staying in Tavira
Good to know it hasn't changed. We rented a place there for a couple of weeks in May a few years back. Bottle of wine by the river in the evening after dinner. Lovely. The beaches you go to on the ferry are brilliant there, too, if that's your thing.

In Seville now after a 3 hour drive early this morning from Vilamoura. It's very busy and very warm at 41° with a beautiful blue sky. I hadn't been to Seville for probably 15-20 years but it's well worth the drive from the Algarve.

It's our last full day tomorrow so staying more local with a trip to Carvoeiro before flying home on Wednesday morning

As a bog standard working class bloke just searching for a decent Hotel in a sunny climate where I can lie on a sun bed with my kindle in one hand and a rum and coke in the other rather than searching for Machu Picchu, the source of the Nile, or herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain.
I’ve come to the conclusion this thread ain’t really for me. ;)

As a bog standard working class bloke just searching for a decent Hotel in a sunny climate where I can lie on a sun bed with my kindle in one hand and a rum and coke in the other rather than searching for Machu Picchu, the source of the Nile, or herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain.
Have you tried Torquay?...

That's all good and I wouldn't criticise you for it, but equally it's pretty pointless asking for a recommendation when all you are really looking for is a salmonella free hotel

I’ve come to the conclusion this thread ain’t really for me. ;)

That’s a shame. A holiday is something most people work bloody hard for and you’re entitled to do whatever it is that you enjoy. I’m not sure why your requirements are a bit sneered at to be honest, but that does seem to happen a bit with travel.

I’m fortunate enough to holiday quite a bit at the moment but as odd as it sounds, sometimes they are awesome and other times they can be quite hard work. You’ll not get much sympathy for the ones that are challenging, but there is something to be said for the type of holiday you describe.

As for recommendations, take a look at Travelzoo. There was a time when our needs were just to get away somewhere warm, we didn’t care where, just hot, good value and relaxing, and essentially just took off wherever the best Travelzoo deal took us.

They were talking about introducing an annual membership fee but I’m not sure if that is active yet, but anyway, have a look and you might find yourself in places ticking your boxes that you’d never considered and at great prices too.

That’s a shame. A holiday is something most people work bloody hard for and you’re entitled to do whatever it is that you enjoy. I’m not sure why your requirements are a bit sneered at to be honest, but that does seem to happen a bit with travel.

I’m fortunate enough to holiday quite a bit at the moment but as odd as it sounds, sometimes they are awesome and other times they can be quite hard work. You’ll not get much sympathy for the ones that are challenging, but there is something to be said for the type of holiday you describe.

As for recommendations, take a look at Travelzoo. There was a time when our needs were just to get away somewhere warm, we didn’t care where, just hot, good value and relaxing, and essentially just took off wherever the best Travelzoo deal took us.

They were talking about introducing an annual membership fee but I’m not sure if that is active yet, but anyway, have a look and you might find yourself in places ticking your boxes that you’d never considered and at great prices too.
It's modern life, holiday snobs, they need to fuck off. Do what you like, if that's an adventure holiday to Kenya or a long weekend in Barmouth, that's all fine, do stuff you like and don't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks.
That said if you ask for holiday destination tips just filter out the ones you're not interested in.

Anyone got some Sicily recommendations around mid-Sept? Shall be mostly based around Agrigento but v happy with road trips and odd nights in locations away. Thanks! (also quite keen on the less than obvious type things to do and see, not just tourist sites)

Anyone got some Sicily recommendations around mid-Sept? Shall be mostly based around Agrigento but v happy with road trips and odd nights in locations away. Thanks! (also quite keen on the less than obvious type things to do and see, not just tourist sites)
Don't upset the cosa nostra

• Haha
Reactions: jlo
Probably should've chosen a more positive day to ask this question...

Long time ago, but Taormina (though a bit touristy because of the amphitheatre and Mt. Etna) and Cefalu were pretty nice, as I recall. Thought Agrigento was a dump so stayed in nearby San Leone, which was lovely. Didn't like the look of Palermo.

Long time ago, but Taormina (though a bit touristy because of the amphitheatre and Mt. Etna) and Cefalu were pretty nice, as I recall. Thought Agrigento was a dump so stayed in nearby San Leone, which was lovely. Didn't like the look of Palermo.
Thanks. Agrigento is where some of the extended family are from, so happy to treat it as a bit of a base for 10 days.

Back