• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal (A) 17/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Gaz press conference.

Cunha fit and available for this weekend. Trained all week and is fine 😍
If it was only a niggle then he will be fine and should have an influence . I remember him coming back last season after being out a while and he struggled for a game or two .

Will still be shocked if he is part of the game.

Loads of times last season a player was fit again, been in training its all good........next seen on the pitch 2 weeks later
Gaz was very much talking like he’s starting, but we’ll see.

Guedes and Podence in the squad too

"We've had a really good pre-season and the boys are in good spirits. Matheus Cunha is back fit and has trained with the group."

"Cunha is fine and raring to go. He's worked hard to get back and he's feeling very good. There's no concerns around him, which is a big boost for us."

"My new contract and commitment to the club is a no brainer, I love it here. I'm looking forward to moving forward."

On signings: "Myself and Matt Hobbs have worked hard on identifying (targets) and it's still being worked on. I don't really like talking about what might or might not happen but we have realistic targets and hopefully they will arrive before the end of the window."

On VAR: "I have no concerns and have faith they're trying to improve it. Last year there was a few where we felt hard done by, but sometimes it's the way it goes. I fully expect it to be 100% fair. I have no concerns over VAR and refereeing."

On Arsenal: "They're a good side who have had a good pre-season. It's a tough fixture, you know what to expect, they will be in your face."

On formation: "We're flexible. There's more to it than that and the style change is not as drastic as people think. We're using what we have to get in the best place possible."

On pre-season: "I'm really pleased with how it went. We trained slightly less than I wanted in America but we got a lot out of the games. I loved the Spain trip as we got a lot of time on the grass. It's gone well since we got back."

On fans: "The local supporters are always optimistic and excited. We have a group that feels really good and is determined to do the best we can."

Other injury news? - "Mario is all good. I expect everybody to be fine for tomorrow."

On transfers: "We're trying to sign assets and players that carry value and help the club, but also we need ones that are Premier League ready. Me and Matt have been detailed on our plan and we hope to add them."

Any transfers close? "As far as I'm aware, nothing is imminent."Bentley to stay? "I expect Dan to be here."

Guedes/Podence - "Both will be part of the matchday squad tomorrow. They've knuckled down in pre-season. They've both given themselves an opportunity."

On Larsen: "He's 100% fit and will be in the squad. He's working hard and wants to hit the ground running. He's exciting for us."

"We'll need the fans, the Premier League is tough. The players will need them. My responsibility is to give them football they enjoy."

The local supporters are always optimistic

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

We conceded 65 last season while clinging on to our manky old comfort blanket. I don't think we'll concede appreciably more than that this season.

Because we'll concede too many goals, and as a sticking plaster Gomes and Lemina will sit too deep meaning we have a vacuum between midfield and attack.
But why do you think we’ll concede too many goals?

I do find myself wondering how differently we’d think of Yerson if his path had been Nacional => Cincinnati => Villarreal => Wolves, rather than the stops in MLS and La Liga being loans from us.

Yerson > Max; IMV we’re a better defense already just by being rid of Captain Void.

Yerson may well be better than Max, but we were playing a 5 last season, and we conceded lots of chances playing that.

It's changing to a 4 that concerns me, especially as YM's partner will be one of Toti, Dawson or Bueno.

I'd feel much more comfortable if we were playing Dawson with Toti and Mosquera either side, then the improvement on Kilman would be more obvious and relevant.

So do we think G-Rod will start left side or right? He's about the only player who can play on the right isn't he, unless we stick Guedes there?

Personally I'd like to see.....

...................... Sa

Lima - Mosquera - Toti - RAN

........... Lemina - Gomes

... Rodrigo - Cunha - Hwang

................... Larsen

Please Gaz, no Doherty.

So do we think G-Rod will start left side or right? He's about the only player who can play on the right isn't he, unless we stick Guedes there?

Personally I'd like to see.....

...................... Sa

Lima - Mosquera - Toti - RAN

........... Lemina - Gomes

... Rodrigo - Cunha - Hwang

................... Larsen

Please Gaz, no Doherty.
Hwang is not a left winger.

I'm expecting five at the back out of possession, but a back four on the rare occasions when we have it. Would probably involve Toti at LCB then LB with Rayan pushing further on in possession.

Back