• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal (A) 17/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Letting Hugo go does seem like a mistake to me, yes he'll benefit from more games, but why do we continually do these deals to the detriment of our own squad strength? It's happened numerous times.

I'd go 4-3-3;

Sa
Lima - Mosquera - Toti - RAN
João G
Lemina - Doyle
Sarabia - Hwang - Rodrigo G
It'll end up more 4-5-1 and playing on the counter but you never know.
This is the one for me. I don't care if he's 12, he's the best available option, and the game will teach him a lot. Nobody's getting judged on this game so just relax, put the effort it and play your game whatever happens

Letting Hugo go does seem like a mistake to me, yes he'll benefit from more games, but why do we continually do these deals to the detriment of our own squad strength? It's happened numerous times.
Does anyone know what was actually wrong with Hugo? Was he largely shit?

Always looked ok to me?

Definitely three of four worse fullbacks at Wolves, that’s for definite.

He's allergic to stopping crosses and his attacking output is largely valued on one good ball in at Palace nearly two years ago.

There's a player in there but I'm not sure he's up to playing 20+ Premier League games for a mid-table team right now. So fine, send him out to develop and see how he goes, but we can't go along with one left back. Toti is an awkward fit there who will offer nothing going forward, and Doherty is not an option.

Does anyone know what was actually wrong with Hugo? Was he largely shit?

Always looked ok to me?

Definitely three of four worse fullbacks at Wolves, that’s for definite.
Think we're all wondering that but GON had chances to use him last season and seemed to prefer ToTi, Semedo and Doc at different times.
Maybe an attitude issue?

He's allergic to stopping crosses and his attacking output is largely valued on one good ball in at Palace nearly two years ago.
Hyperbole.

But yes, as you say once again we are weakening the squad. Maybe we'll bring someone in, but I won't hold my breath.

It's not quite as bad as when we let Adama go, but it feels similar, where we are putting the needs and desires of the player over the strength of the squad.

He was a converted winger I think, at youth level when you are one of the best at your age group you can cover defensive weaknesses. You can't really cover that up in the PL and as Deutsch says his one on one defending and inability to cut-out crosses is very evident. He and Lembikisa both came through at the same time and both appear to struggle with the defensive side at pro level

He was a number ten as a youth player I think.

I actually saw him play as a 16 year old in what would have been one of his first games at wing-back, really struggled. So he’s come on a lot since then! I think he’s okay as a back up at this level but I’m guessing the idea behind this loan might be to be in a position to get decent money for him next summer if it goes well.

He's definitely counting Semedo as an option at LB along with Toti and Doherty.

It's wrong but that is what the club will be justifying not buying another LB with.

There's a player in there but I'm not sure he's up to playing 20+ Premier League games for a mid-table team right now. So fine, send him out to develop and see how he goes, but we can't go along with one left back. Toti is an awkward fit there who will offer nothing going forward, and Doherty is not an option.
I compartmentalise the teams roughly as this:

Top 6
Top Half
Mid-Table
Bottom Half <--- Wolves
Relegation

We'd like to be a mid-table club that has aspirations of a good season in top half (which we've had) but those running the club don't care where we fit in 'Bottom half' category as long as we're not in "Relegation" category.

I think for where we arehaving the likes of Bueno backing up RAN would be good for the level we are. We dont have that now and we never did on right side. A lot of pressure on Semedo and RAN this season.

I've seen multiple people on here say he's the best crosser of the ball at the club, which he patently isn't.

There’s not much competition tbf

If you’ve watched Bueno play over the last year or so then he’s not good enough at the moment. He’s been way off the pace and Doc shouldn’t be near playing yet was the better choice. Ones that stick in the mind are Burnley away, he was dreadful and i never want to see him against Saka again.

He was a converted winger I think, at youth level when you are one of the best at your age group you can cover defensive weaknesses. You can't really cover that up in the PL and as Deutsch says his one on one defending and inability to cut-out crosses is very evident. He and Lembikisa both came through at the same time and both appear to struggle with the defensive side at pro level
Big ask in my view go straight from u23 into PL. They need time to get experience / develop at lower levels of the game, our paper thin squad has stopped that happening (Fraser last season too)

Back