• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

So do we think the not closing down is an instruction? I can't imagine the benefit of letting Saka (or other players of similar caliber) pick out their cross like that. It's not as if Lemina didn't have plenty of time to get out there, and nobody else was really in a position to support.
It's tactical in certain instances, it doesn't matter who the full back is, they don't engage in the way I'd like them to, they stand off. One of the coaches on here will be able to tell you the theory behind that, because it does my nut in. I don't think it was that on Saturday, that's Lemina not doing his job.

We were a swinging gate with 5 atb last season.
We wouldn't have closed down the cross and would still have lost the runner for the first, because that's what we do.

Sa would still have let a soft goal in for the second, because that's what he does.
We were far from solid at times last season, but in both instances an extra defender might have made the difference. Particularly a more dominant header of the ball for the first. And a an LCB in a 3 would be filling the sapce Saka went into to score the second.

However as said we'd probably afford more of the midfield to the opponents too.

Another shit reason to let Bueno go is that we can't roll the dice bringing him on at LB and playing RAN further forward either. Which worked well at times last season.

We were far from solid at times last season, but in both instances an extra defender might have made the difference. Particularly a more dominant header of the ball.
If Lemina closes down then the formation is moot (or more likely to be).

IMO the quality of the cross was such that once it left Saka's foot, we were fucked.

We were far from solid at times last season, but in both instances an extra defender might have made the difference. Particularly a more dominant header of the ball for the first. And a an LCB in a 3 would be filling the sapce Saka went into to score the second.
Saka gets his shot away because RAN let him come inside. That's just shit defending from a player who in theory is better than anyone who would have been playing lcb and should know better. You can't account for individual errors, we didn't concede that goal because of the formation. Confirmation bias to put it down to that.

If Lemina closes down then the formation is moot (or more likely to be).

IMO the quality of the cross was such that once it left Saka's foot, we were fucked.
Our CM shouldn't be closing down Saka in that situation no matter what the formation is.

Shape was poor.

However as said we'd probably afford more of the midfield to the opponents too.

Another shit reason to let Bueno go is that we can't roll the dice bringing him on at LB and playing RAN further forward either. Which worked well at times last season.
Did it? Bueno played less than 750 minutes last season and the vast majority of those were when RAN was injured.

Bueno made 25 appearances last season, a number of those enabled RAN to play further forward. (RAN played 33 league games, 38 including cup, he wasnt injured often!)

We can't do that now, unless we play Doc, Toti, or Semedo there which creates problems elsewhere.

Are you disputing that?

RAN only ever really played further forward in that period where literally all our attackers were injured. We pretty much never did it by choice and nor should we, he is not a winger.

RAN only ever really played further forward in that period where literally all our attackers were injured. We pretty much never did it by choice and nor should we, he is not a winger.
He did really well there? Goals and assists!

I'd sooner he played LW than LB to be honest, from an attacking point of view.

But we now can't do that now comfortably due to the weird decision to let Bueno go.

Bueno made 25 appearances last season, a number of those enabled RAN to play further forward. (RAN played 33 league games, 38 including cup, he wasnt injured often!)

We can't do that now, unless we play Doc, Toti, or Semedo there which creates problems elsewhere.

Are you disputing that?
Well, yes - that's what the figures show.

Nearly 75% of Bueno's already minimal time on the pitch last season were when RAN was crocked.

Burnley (A) and Man City (A) are the only times they played together for any significant period of time and then was at a time when we starting 18yo's up top and playing Doherty at RW.

Well, yes - that's what the figures show.

Nearly 75% of Bueno's already minimal time on the pitch last season were when RAN was crocked.

Burnley (A) and Man City (A) are the only times they played together for any significant period of time and then was at a time when we starting 18yo's up top and playing Doherty at RW.
Coventry too, and it worked well. I'm not sure why you are being so argumentative? We don't have that option now, that was my point.

25 appearances isn't minimal anyway.

Do you think it was correct to send him out and leave us without an actual LB?

It's also absolutely normal and a fundamental part of a central midfielders game to support/cover your full back.
Yes, but less so when youre playing a 2 rather than 3.

Also RAN at that point was fairly central, our shape was wrong on a number of levels.

Coventry too, and it worked well. I'm not sure why you are being so argumentative? We don't have that option now, that was my point.

25 appearances isn't minimal anyway.

Do you think it was correct to send him out and leave us without an actual LB?
750 minutes across a 38 game league season is minimal. I'm not enthused about having no real backup LB, but I won't miss Bueno - he can't defend 1v1, can't beat a press and can't track runners.

10 of Bueno's 22 league appearances were for fewer than 15 minutes. He hardly played and we were never going to voluntarily go with the gambit of having him at LB and Rayan Ait-Naylor ahead of him, it's the realm of fantasy.

We shouldn't have one solitary first team LB at the club, that is a separate argument.

As I said initially, we simply don't have that option at all now, we have done it in the past and it has worked.

Personally I like seeing RAN further forward, he scored against Burnley and Cov (as did Bueno) and got a couple of assists in that period too, I have no idea why the option should be written off?

I mean for a start the goal against Burnley was off a set piece, it had nothing to do with him playing at LB or LW.

He isn't a winger.

Back