• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

It's hardly a unicorn is it? It's competent as the minimal bar.

I really hope we go nowhere near 3 atb. We are somewhat toothless as it is, removing an attacking force will make that worse.
We sold Kilman 6 weeks ago and haven't signed a CB, we've tried several times to change to a 4 from a 5 and it hasn't worked.

So yes, it's a unicorn.

It's just so simplistic to say going to a 3/5 makes us less attacking, for a start it frees up our wing backs.

I think having the flexibility to be able to do both as and when required is the ideal scenario. There may well be occasions when a 3/5 is the best option, but being handcuffed to it like we have been for years is terrible.

Again, I don't think the system was at fault or the problem on Saturday. We made individual errors and lapses in concentration that brought problems on ourselves. It's not the system, we just need better players.

I think having the flexibility to be able to do both as and when required is the ideal scenario. There may well be occasions when a 3/5 is the best option, but being handcuffed to it like we have been for years is terrible.

Again, I don't think the system was at fault or the problem on Saturday. We made individual errors and lapses in concentration that brought problems on ourselves. It's not the system, we just need better players.
(Wolves) Managers notoriously don't do that though do they?

And we've also got Pad and Johnny agreeing that we shouldn't "go near" a 3/5.

For example, 5 would have been the better option on Saturday. Both our fullbacks are wingbacks for a start.

Being handcuffed to 4 won't help us either, particularly when one of our best players is a LWB not a LB.

Last edited:
With both goals on Saturday I wonder if the same space is afforded to Saka if we are playing with 5.
You’re probably right, but to do that you’re likely taking someone out the middle, which would allow them more space in there. Would’ve caused it’s own problems

Only managed to catch MOTD so can only base it on that, but we looked alright. Arsenal worthy winners but if we were expecting to go there and be the better team then I’d suggest giving that a rethink..

The disappointing thing was the goals we conceded . First Sa coming like a clown, but also Saka being allowed the space and no one picking up Havertz

2nd the quick free kick and no being alert - so two poor goals to concede.

We were also unlucky with the Larsen header (great save) and Cunha should do better.

Chelsea looked no great shakes yesterday, no reason why we can’t be fairly confident going into next week

Being solid at the back is what you need when you're playing Arsenal away, frees up RAN to be far more attacking too, who without Cunha is our most creative player.

Didn't we score more Prem goals (or close to) more Prem goals last season than we have before despite where we finished? And despite not having a striker and/or Neto for large periods of the season?

We’re not going to play Arsenal every week & they hardly ripped through us at will. We’ll be fine with 4 at the back and already look more creative going forward with the extra man further up.

This thread is an interesting read:

Comparing Saturday to our two performances v Arsenal last season, we had more of the ball in attacking positions, Arsenal had less of the ball in attacking positions. We need to persist with a back 4, and if we sign someone better than Toti to play alongside Yerson, even better.

I'm not against playing 4 on the whole, but I'm against playing it v the better sides and I'm against playing it until we get a partner for Mosquera.

We need to remember how often a counterattacking 5 at the back has got us superb results against the top teams down the years, it doesn't need to be binned off as some are suggesting.

Playing 4 against the lower teams, particularly at home would be welcomed.

Being solid at the back is what you need when you're playing Arsenal away, frees up RAN to be far more attacking too, who without Cunha is our most creative player.

Didn't we score more Prem goals (or close to) more Prem goals last season than we have before despite where we finished? And despite not having a striker and/or Neto for large periods of the season?
When the plan is to change to a 4, why in the first game of the season, a game that is essentially a free hit anyway, would you want to go with a system you've not been spending all pre-season working on? We have to get that system working as quickly as we can for the games that we should be more competitive in, going to 3/5 for the very first opportunity makes zero sense.

Also it's good to have a proper chat, rather than just laughing emojis and no attempt at conversation like some do. This is a forum to talk about this kind of thing after all (y)

When the plan is to change to a 4, why in the first game of the season, a game that is essentially a free hit anyway, would you want to go with a system you've not been spending all pre-season working on? We have to get that system working as quickly as we can for the games that we should be more competitive in, going to 3/5 for the very first opportunity makes zero sense.
Should we not be able to switch between a couple of formations and set ups? To suit the opposition?

I'm pretty sure there has already been discussion of how we are changing formation dependent on whether we are in or out of possession from pre season. It isn't concrete boots of 4-4-2, 4-4-3, 4-2-3-1, 5-3-2, 5-2-3 or whatever.

I mean we are never going to pitch up at Arsenal and play 2-3-5 like it is 1954 all over again.

However 5 at the back leaves our midfield badly outnumbered. Which means we can't keep possession and get pushed back onto that 5. The four at the back formations allow more opportunity to compete in the midfield. Yes, wing backs have served us well in the recent past, but a 4-2-3-1 with wider midfielders has a similar effect (right up to the point that RAN can be in the wide position in both ideas) but the 2 are sat in further in front of the centre backs and there is also one more advanced player so the horseshoe of doom should hopefully be avoided.

.....Or give our players chance to learn how to play better alongside each other.

it’s quite conceivable that none of Podence, Guedes or Chiquinho are here when the window closes.
I think this up ⬆️
but I think we’re struggling to get the deals done we thought we perhaps could. I know there’s still time left but a window that started with promise is fizzling out.
Is linked to this ⬆️

I don't think they'll spend until these plus Silva are gone, mainly due to wages, about £250k pw tied up and partly as we don't have any spare squad spaces available for none Brits and we won't pay English based players tax.

With both goals on Saturday I wonder if the same space is afforded to Saka if we are playing with 5.
We were a swinging gate with 5 atb last season.
We wouldn't have closed down the cross and would still have lost the runner for the first, because that's what we do.

Sa would still have let a soft goal in for the second, because that's what he does.

So do we think the not closing down is an instruction? I can't imagine the benefit of letting Saka (or other players of similar caliber) pick out their cross like that. It's not as if Lemina didn't have plenty of time to get out there, and nobody else was really in a position to support.

Back