• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I've read Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 recently and it really is a sci-fi masterpiece. I absolutely recommend it to anyone. Can't praise it enough.

read this on holiday. it's a good book and i enjoyed it a lot so thanks. likeable main character which always help.

i don't think a masterpiece but only my opinion. i found the story is a bit chaotic and i think it could do with editing though you can imagine it's a translation so who knows how well written the original is.

it's a classic journey book which has a good tradition all the way back to the greek myths. the prevailing invisible menace has modern day equivalents in some of china mieville's work so you could check that out, especially perdido st station.

if you like the journey context i still reckon gene wolfe's book of the old sun series is worth a read, or something like hyperion, dan simmons which i probably go on about, really is a classic though

I've read The Terror by Dan Simmons and have Summer of Night on my list of books to read but have never read any of his sci-fi stuff.

I've read The Terror by Dan Simmons and have Summer of Night on my list of books to read but have never read any of his sci-fi stuff.

the Terror is borderline sci-fi don't you think?

I don't know how well Hyperion has dated as I read it a long time ago but i'd certainly recommend it, a lot.

I'd have said The Terror was more of a horror/thriller but I can't say I really know much about sci-fi apart from the odd Philip K Dick book I've read so you're probably right!

read this on holiday. it's a good book and i enjoyed it a lot so thanks. likeable main character which always help.

i don't think a masterpiece but only my opinion. i found the story is a bit chaotic and i think it could do with editing though you can imagine it's a translation so who knows how well written the original is.

it's a classic journey book which has a good tradition all the way back to the greek myths. the prevailing invisible menace has modern day equivalents in some of china mieville's work so you could check that out, especially perdido st station.

if you like the journey context i still reckon gene wolfe's book of the old sun series is worth a read, or something like hyperion, dan simmons which i probably go on about, really is a classic though

Aw, well I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! I'll take a look at Gene Wolfe and add it to the list, cheers.

Aw, well I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! I'll take a look at Gene Wolfe and add it to the list, cheers.

Alan, I enjoyed it a lot and was perfect for the hol. I've read a lot of sci fi classics though. I preferred reading this to Dune and Ender's game ;-)

apologies it's book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe (not old sun) - was done in 4 books originally. I think he did another one years later but I haven't read that one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Claw-First-Half-Book/dp/0312890176

Yeah, looks like they've got the four books smushed into 2 e-books now. Based on the description it's right up my alley. To be added to the Christmas list, methinks!

The King In Love, Edward Vll's Mistresses.

He certainly put it about a bit.

The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman.

Not my usual kind of book, but a cracking thriller that moves along at pace. I really enjoyed it.

For anyone interested in the history of the American Indians I would strongly recommend " Bury my heart at Wonded Knee" by Dee Brown. It is fascinating, compelling and yet in the end tragic.

For anyone interested in the history of the American Indians I would strongly recommend " Bury my heart at Wonded Knee" by Dee Brown. It is fascinating, compelling and yet in the end tragic.

I have that on my amazon wishlist. After reading 'Lonesome Dove' and Phillip Meyer's 'The Son' I found that I really enjoy books focused around that period in American history. I find American history fascinating in general though.

I see Naomi Klein has a new book out, looking at climate change :icon_wink:
Have to say I loved No Logo & The Shock Doctrine, so will no doubt invest.

Read that years ago and it's still on my shelf. It's an excellent read.

I see Naomi Klein has a new book out, looking at climate change :icon_wink:
Have to say I loved No Logo & The Shock Doctrine, so will no doubt invest.

They had a couple of excerpts from it in the Guardian last week. Judging by those, it's very readable and very persuasive. Every house in Hazel Grove should have one.

Read three of my Christmas books so far:

The Hypnotist by Lars Keppler. Swedish crime novel that was entertaining enough but started off with one storyline and then went off into another one. Not as gripping as the likes of Nesbo or Indridason but I'd read another one. Apparently the author is actually a husband and wife team which I find a bit odd. Can't be easy for 2 people to write a fiction novel together?

The Martian by Andy Weir. An astronaut gets stranded on Mars and tries to survive. I skimmed through a lot of the scientific info as it wasa bit over my head but definitely enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

The Visitor by Lee Child. Jack Reacher #4. I didn't find it grabbed me as much as the first 3 did but that could be due to the fact that I have been reading it while having a new baby so have had to read it a few pages here and a few pages there. I still don't think books 2-4 have hit the levels of book 1 but I do love the Reacher books. So easy to lose yourself in.

I've read all the Jack Reacher books now. Nice bit of escapism. I think I'm also up to date with the Byrne/Balzano series by Richard Montanari and I need some recommendations - I have found Mark Edwards recently and have read three of his books (The Magpies, Because She Loved Me & Forward Slash) and they're all pretty good with a decent amount of tension and pace.

Just finished Titan- The Life Of J D. Rockefeller,Sr. What a fascinating read. Also while I was in Florida I got to visit the home where he died ' The Casements' which was a sort of fitting end to finishing the book.

It's A Long Story: My Life. Willie Nelson.

Covers all roads in his life, pot, IRS, women, disc jockeying, but more importantly his music.

John Connolly.

A really gripping writer.
Have read, with huge enthusiasm all of his books but have just now started the trilogy Game, Set & Match by Len Deighton.
Spy thrilling up there with Le Carre.
So the latest John Connolly Parker thriller, that I bought today will have a fairly long wait....

Back