• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I'm not sure what's interesting about avarice, but whatever.

Continuing with my ' read one book a week ' this weeks is The True History Of The Elephant Man by Michael Howell & Peter Ford

I'm not sure what's interesting about avarice, but whatever.

I only bought his book as there was absolutely nothing else i could find of interest at the airport to bring away with us. I'm no big fan of him and he's no saint for sure, but he's got some really good anecdotes on players, and other football people in general. He roomed with peter knowles for one as an england youth. Best autobiog ive read in ages. Miles better than fergies snorefest - talking of avarice.....

I only say that as I read the first autobiography he brought out after he left West Ham (has he really led such an interesting and noteworthy life as to bring out two autobiographies?) and it boiled down to "make as much money as you can by whatever means possible". That was the overarching theme of all the stories he told. The more interesting stuff on him was in Broken Dreams which came out around the same time.

I only say that as I read the first autobiography he brought out after he left West Ham (has he really led such an interesting and noteworthy life as to bring out two autobiographies?) and it boiled down to "make as much money as you can by whatever means possible". That was the overarching theme of all the stories he told. The more interesting stuff on him was in Broken Dreams which came out around the same time.

i dare say you're right DW. I haven't read either if the two other books that you have.
It just makes a bit of a change for me to read one that doesnt bore me senseless. I've got neil warnock's to read yet as well. Now he is a w@#!?r but his book might be good.

Robbie Savage is loving the fact he's been mentioned in Roy Keane's new book.

I've got bill brysons 1927 a summer in America on the go,600 pages,I'm 2 days in and over halfway through,it's the summer of Lindberghs first solo flight across the Atlantic,babe Ruth conquering baseball,Henry ford making a cock up of car building,jack Dempsey bursting onto the boxing scene,prohibition and loads of other stuff all linking in.

Read this on my hols, great book but christ the USA Government made Hitler and the Nazi's look like a sensible group. Sterilising thousands of people to stop them having kids because their IQ wasn't high enough. poisoning alcohol during the Prohabition killing thousands of people. Mentalists

I'm currently reading Peter Robinson's 'Inspector Banks' series of novels. I cannot put the books down and am on the fifth one, now ('Past Reason Hated'). He is a 'believable' copper who smokes, has 'fads' on many varied genres of music, is happily married, has 'left-leaning' political views and is rather short for a policeman. The North Yorkshire settings are interesting and the peripheral characters contribute, too. Great reads!

Jut picked up a couple Reacher novels in the charity shop but they're both written in the first person - the others I've read haven't been so I'm confused. Doesn't really seem like it would work. Worth continuing with?

Not sure about Reacher myself. Seems to be a bit marmite.

Personally, having completed my Judge Dredd reprints collection as graphic novels, I have picked up three volumes of Rogue Trooper. Classic 2000AD comic stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. Got Nemesis the Warlock, Strontium Dog, and Slaine to read next. I loved that comic back in the day.

The Harry Hole series gets better with every book IMO. Apparently Nesbo has some novels out soon under the pen name Tom Johansen that sound interesting too.

As for the Reacher series, I find them great books to read. Really easy to get into and you fly through them. Having said that, I have only read the first 3 in the series. Killing Floor was superb, the other two haven't quite been as good, but still enjoyed them.

I am currently working my way through Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. Having read The Son by Philipp Meyer, I found I really enjoyed reading about the American West so sought out a couple more Westerns to read. I am really enjoying Lonesome Dove although it's going to take we a while to get through it! I then have Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian to read which should take me up until Christmas when I hope to get a new stack of books from Santa.

The Harry Hole series gets better with every book IMO. Apparently Nesbo has some novels out soon under the pen name Tom Johansen that sound interesting too.

As for the Reacher series, I find them great books to read. Really easy to get into and you fly through them. Having said that, I have only read the first 3 in the series. Killing Floor was superb, the other two haven't quite been as good, but still enjoyed them.

I am currently working my way through Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. Having read The Son by Philipp Meyer, I found I really enjoyed reading about the American West so sought out a couple more Westerns to read. I am really enjoying Lonesome Dove although it's going to take we a while to get through it! I then have Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian to read which should take me up until Christmas when I hope to get a new stack of books from Santa.

I love Cormac McCarthy. I don't think I've read Bloody Meridian but the Border trilogy books are excellent, as is The Road and No Country for Old Men.

The Glassblower.

No wonder it was free.

I have just read "Memoirs of an Infantry Officer" by Siegfried Sassoon. It tells the story of his life in the trenches, and how he coped with it.

An excellent read that I would recommend.

Finally finished 'Lonesome Dove' and it certainly was an epic! It's up there as one of my favourite books, and it looks like I have a whole new genre of books to explore now that I have found a love for books about the old west. I already have a massive backlog of books that I want to read so I'm not sure where I'm going to fit all these new books in! Now onto Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian'...

Currently reading Lamentation by C.J. Sansom, another excellent addition to his Matthew Shardlake novels.

Back