• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I'm glad somebody else thinks Kitson's a monumental bellend. Now, onto Michael Calvin's book?

Finished it a while ago mate - magnificent stuff. I need to get that back to you somehow - want me to pop it in the post to you?

Finished it a while ago mate - magnificent stuff. I need to get that back to you somehow - want me to pop it in the post to you?

Don't need to do that, if you're at the match early in the season I'll get it off you then. What did you think?

Don't need to do that, if you're at the match early in the season I'll get it off you then. What did you think?

Thought it was brilliant mate. I learned a hell of a lot about that aspect of the industry, it was frightening in places. Calvin is a fantastic writer too.

An update of my recent books:

Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir Trilogy - A trilogy set around a Private Detective in Berlin. The 1st book is set in pre-war Nazi Germany, the 2nd book during the war and the 3rd book in post war Berlin/Austria. A pretty good crime series with an interesting historical back drop.

Jo Nesbo's Cockroaches - The 2nd in the Harry Hole series. I am now up to date with them all apart from the latest one. I expected this and The Bat to not be up to the standard of the later ones but have enjoyed them both. It also filled in a few of the gaps in his back story for me.

Now I'm onto Philipp Meyer's The Son. Only just staretd it but am impressed so far. It's a bit of an epic about 3 generations of a Texan family with storylines based in the 1840's, early 20th Century and modern day. I am particularly enjoying the descriptions of what life was like in Texas during the 1840's with the threat of attack from the Comanche Indians.

Adam Ant - Stand And Deliver. Hardly a ' jolly ' read. Pretty sad really .

Finished The Secret Footballer. It was like running through treacle trying to get to the end, when he blithers on about how much money he's wasted and - slightly more interestingly - his decline into depression. But none of it is particularly well written. I can accept the last chapter is at least slightly worth reading as the anonymity/half arsed semi-name dropping doesn't really matter when discussing this most serious aspect of his career which has badly affected his life.

But the vast majority of it is vacuous, pointless bullshit and I regret reading the thing.

So an 8/10 from you then?

Read Merson's book next

I wouldn't give it a 2/10. Total shite.

On a serious note, I'd be grateful to get some recommendations of some GOOD footballing autobiographies. I've heard Paul McGrath's is a decent read.

McGraths
Waggys
Cloughies

All good, from an era when men were men :)

3 and a bit books on hols.
Dune - have meant to read it as it often tops sci fi lists. Thought it was crap.
Hangover square - old book. Enjoyed that one. must have been considered a bit weird when written.
Spin. more sci fi. Interesting book if a little too sentimental at times for me.
Fifth head of cerberus. Just under halfway. Good so far.

Just coming to the end of Antony Beevor's book on D-Day. Fantastic stuff. Probably not as heavy on the analysis as some other histories of the Normandy landings but full of excellent first hand accounts and anecdotes from participants of all ranks and all sides.

I think my favourite bit was how the Americans were so frustrated by the slowness of the British advance after the beaches had first been taken. The Yanks wanted to push on, create a secure beachhead, clear landing strips for aircraft etc, while the Brits wouldn't do anything without first stopping for a cup of tea!

Currently half way through Dean Koontz's 'The Good Guy'. A surprisingly enjoyable read.

John Connolly starting with 'Every Dead Thing'.

Brilliant opening book of the series.
I've got 13 of his so far. but the early ones I got on Amazon.co.uk for a penny...

I am currently reading "Battlefield of the Second World War" by Richard Holmes. An excellent book by this distinguished author. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Enjoying The Black Magician Trilogy ( The Magicians' Guild, The Novice, The High Lord ) by Trudi Canavan.

Now on to 'Personal', the latest in the Reacher series. My better half managed to get the hardback version for half price plus an extra 20% off so a £20 book for £8. Bargain. So far I'm enjoying it, though it is the 2nd one of the series to involve a sniper (One Shot).

Back