• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Toon, or any other Reacher fan, have you bothered to get any of the Reacher short stories released only on the internet?

I haven't yet. Keep meaning to download them but never have. Have you read all the books WH?

I haven't yet. Keep meaning to download them but never have. Have you read all the books WH?

Yes, except 'Personal'. but that'll happen shortly.

And when it does, it'll be another book, not an 'E book'.

I haven't read any of the (3?) short stories available only from his site. Yet.

You're a fan then......... I haven't found another character like him anywhere else.

Bernard Cornwell for me, currently reading book three of The Warrior Chronicles, The Lords of the North.

You're a fan then......... I haven't found another character like him anywhere else.

Yep. I like his style of writing, the plot threads, the action definitely and the detail too.
In particular the almost always absence of sex and romance.
If you want that sort of shit slowing the pace down, there's tons of it elsewhere.

Just a cracking read. Nearly always far too short.
It's with dismay that I finish a book, breathe out and think, 'That could have gone on a lot longer!'

I'd recommend John Connolly starting with 'Every Dead Thing' if you like that sort of stuff Johnny.

I was just using the computer in a cyber here in Spain .I heard a jolly old man speaking in English on the telephone .We started to have a conversation after he finished his telephone call .He was born in Argentina but has lived in Cordoba in Spain for many years . He said to me , " Do you know how old I am ?" He told me he was 91 .He was joking with everybody in the cyber , joking and talking about the great Argentinian football teams .He acts like a teenager , a lovely chap .

He then gave me a book , that he has written . It is called ¿ Comos ser feliz? How to be happy and his name is Casimir Degreef .He wrote it ages ago .It only sold 350 copies.I offered him some money for the book , but he wouldn't take it off me .He said to me before he left the cyber , let's see if you learn the secrets of how to live to my age , shook my hand and walked out the cyber .

I recently finished the 3rd Jack Reacher book but so far books 2 and 3 have yet to live up to the 1st one for me. I'll keep reading them in between other books though, they are enjoyable and I fly through them.

I read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' on my holiday which I thought was pretty good (I now know where The Boo Radleys got their name from!) and now I am most of the way through Stephen King's 'Dr Sleep' with 'Mr Mecedes' to follow when I have finished (and he's got another new one due in November!)

To top it off, I have Jo Nesbo's 'Police' on it's way through the post as we speak. I thought 'Phantom' was his best one yet and after the way it ended I am excited that I can finally get to read the next one.

Bernard Cornwell for me, currently reading book three of The Warrior Chronicles, The Lords of the North.

His Grail Quest series is good as well (Harlequin/Vagabond/Heretic) - got most of the stuff he has written (apart from the N American stuff, which I could never get into).

You're lucky - still have a couple to go in the Warrior Chronicles.

To top it off, I have Jo Nesbo's 'Police' on it's way through the post as we speak. I thought 'Phantom' was his best one yet and after the way it ended I am excited that I can finally get to read the next one.

I'm reading 'Cockroaches' by Jones Bo and one line referred to someone answering the phone and Harry Hole responded and the other guy referred to his name (Hole) having 2 syllables!
How could you say 'Hole' and give it 2 syllables? (Holl er?)
I always thought Hole was an odd name for a copper.

I believe it's pronounced Hooh-leh (although in my head I still read it as Hole). In 'The Bat' his Australian colleagues keep referring to him as Harry Holey.

How could you say 'Hole' and give it 2 syllables?

It's Norwegian,what can I say...we pronounce words/names as they're written,we don't add,subtract,circumvent or put in noises that aren't there. :)

Jo Nesbø is an accomplished musician as well as writer,fronting the band Di Derre (sort of means Those Guys).Not my kind of music tho!
Remember I hate Norwegian music. :)

Hole has always had two syllables in Willenhall, a bit like shoowas.

It's Norwegian,what can I say...we pronounce words/names as they're written,we don't add,subtract,circumvent or put in noises that aren't there. :)

Jo Nesbø is an accomplished musician as well as writer,fronting the band Di Derre (sort of means Those Guys).Not my kind of music tho!
Remember I hate Norwegian music. :)

Well if you pronounce words as they're written and you don't put any sounds in that aren't in the spelling, you should be saying, "Harry Hole" as in Whole. But what an odd sounding surname that is now... I'll have to finish reading the damn book as "Harry Hoe lay"... Very weird.

Very good that Trev. It took me 3 goes to get it right... 'Shoo-ezz'. Very Dublinesque if you don't mind me saying so.
That's twice you've made me laugh now.

Well if you pronounce words as they're written and you don't put any sounds in that aren't in the spelling, you should be saying, "Harry Hole" as in Whole. But what an odd sounding surname that is now... I'll have to finish reading the damn book as "Harry Hoe lay"... Very weird.

The E is a bit more pronounced,like the E's in 'ever'. :)

I know it's a weird concept for the English speaking persons who likes nothing better than pronouncing something in a totally different way to what's written. :)

Reading a quite superb graphic novel of do androids dream of electronic sheep by Philip K Dick. This was the novella that became blade runner and the comic version is really fantastic.

I've read Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 recently and it really is a sci-fi masterpiece. I absolutely recommend it to anyone. Can't praise it enough.

I've read Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 recently and it really is a sci-fi masterpiece. I absolutely recommend it to anyone. Can't praise it enough.

sounds good from a quick review. has a video game as well apparently. Ta!

Love blade runner & the androids book. There was a video game for that too!

sounds good from a quick review. has a video game as well apparently. Ta!

Love blade runner & the androids book. There was a video game for that too!

I played the game first, then the book. Wildly different (as you could imagine), but same general arc. Glukhovsky captures the post-apocalyptic universe in such an authentic way, including details others may not have ever considered.

Truly, if you can check it out, do.

Three parts of the way through Harry Redknapp's autobiog. at the moment. Whatever you think about him, he's an interesting bloke and his book is well worth a read. Miles more interesting and readable than Ferguson's book.

Back