• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I reread this one this year too, if you liked the the overall theme of this, then there is also a great little book by Jack London, called People of the Abyss, its a similar tale of the abject poverty in London through first hand experience from the author, which he embarked upon after he traveled to London for an interview that never materialised. He writes as an outsider in the Poverty of London and couldn't believe the hardship that so many people had to endure in the capital of the most powerful Nation on the Earth. I'd recommend it although its in a very different writing style to Orwell
Cheers Newbridge. I've actually already got that book but not read it. It's a fairly standard reference used by a fair few ripper authors, as it is pretty contemporaneous.

Cheers Newbridge. I've actually already got that book but not read it. It's a fairly standard reference used by a fair few ripper authors, as it is pretty contemporaneous.

Its a fair piece of work, interesting to see it being referenced though. I always feel that London was somewhat marginalised due to having written about animals, though his short stories on survival in the Klondite are magnificent. Henry Williamson was also somewhat a victim of snobbery for the same reason.

I have started reading the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cromwell on the Kindle over xmas, not usually my type of books but I've found them gripping in a strange sort of way. I have also found myself being interested in the historical side of the works, you don't appreciate how close we came to be completely ruled by the Danes.

I have finally entered the world of Game of Thrones for the first time having had the first 4 books given to me by my work colleagues. I guess it'll take me a fair while to plow through them! My other Christmas books were The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg (my new favourite Scandi crime author), Duff McKagan's autobiography, A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (a book I've been after for ages), The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King and The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan.

That lot should see me through until my birthday when I'll hopefully get a load more.

Is A Simple Plan the one the film is based on?

The film is excellent.

Glad you liked this LJ. They are a cracking read.

Book 2 has a lot of JtR links. One chapter starts with a description of Mary Kellys room, & worryingly I recognised it from the first sentence.
Halfway through the 2nd book already.

I have finally entered the world of Game of Thrones for the first time having had the first 4 books given to me by my work colleagues. I guess it'll take me a fair while to plow through them! My other Christmas books were The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg (my new favourite Scandi crime author), Duff McKagan's autobiography, A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (a book I've been after for ages), The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King and The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan.

That lot should see me through until my birthday when I'll hopefully get a load more.

I got the Red Riding Quartet. I'm trying to not excessively buy too many new books and get the whole bookcase of un-read books I own read. However (see above) that isn't as easy as I thought. I guess moving house etc slowed a few things down, and having numerous jobs to do interfered with reading. Hoping that a few things settle down now though. Read 2 books over christmas, and hope to get at least 1 if not 2 done by the end of january. I already know money is going to be tight for me for the next 6 months. Reading books I own is one way to be occupied, whilst not spending any cash!

Downside is there's a cracking book on the krays coming out I want this month, plus a few others in the next 2-3 months and my birthday is october!

Currently reading David Millar's The Racer. Quite a good book although some of the chronology seems a bit off as it's touted as a document of his final season in cycling but appears to jump back a year or two now and then.

Read my first ever Discworld novel over the Christmas break. Good fun. I'll stop ignoring them in charity shops now.

Read my first ever Discworld novel over the Christmas break. Good fun. I'll stop ignoring them in charity shops now.

You'd be hard pressed to find them in the charity shops, after his death theres been a spike in the interest for them.

I must admit I started reading them again a couple of years back, and found them to be quite enjoyable.

Small Gods is a pretty good read and so are the series about Vimes and the City Watch

I love Pratchett.

The Fifth Elephant is my favourite Vimes book. Mort + The Hogfather for DEATH books, and Pyramids.

Guards! Guards! is the best Vimes one.

I have virtually all of the Pratchett set. Mort is genius, as well.

I haven't read 5th Elephant, might have to track that down.

I managed to pick up the Gnome series in a charity shop last year, for a 'younger reader' series its pretty enjoyable.

My David Millar book was exceptionally good, also finished D. Randall Blythe's memoir of when he was in Pankrac prison on remand following manslaughter charges following the death of a fan whose injuries were sustained at a lamb of god show.

I am currently reading "A People's Tragedy - The Russian Revolution." By Orlando Figes.

I have read a few books about the Russian revolution, and I think this one is the best.

I am working my way through "Shots from the front" by the excellent Richard Holmes. In it he looks at the Great War through a series of photographs. One of the photographs shows the Tynesiders advancing on July 1st 1916. Possibly the only known photograph of the British attack on the Somme. A superb book.

Back