• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I'm approaching the end of Stephen Kings Bag of Bones, and am having issues deciding what to read next.
To be fair, I picked up bag of bones mainly as I knew I wanted to read a novel, and pretty much all my other unread stuff wasn't appealing at the time.
I'll probably go for something relatively small, and probably fiction again as I'm off for a week in early June, and prefer to take some easy-ish reading on holiday.

I usually have a feel or an inkling about what I'd like to read next, but haven't really had that this year.
How do people choose their next books? I have a pile of stuff I haven't read. Maybe I have too much choice?

I'm approaching the end of Stephen Kings Bag of Bones, and am having issues deciding what to read next.
To be fair, I picked up bag of bones mainly as I knew I wanted to read a novel, and pretty much all my other unread stuff wasn't appealing at the time.
I'll probably go for something relatively small, and probably fiction again as I'm off for a week in early June, and prefer to take some easy-ish reading on holiday.

I usually have a feel or an inkling about what I'd like to read next, but haven't really had that this year.
How do people choose their next books? I have a pile of stuff I haven't read. Maybe I have too much choice?

I used to read books based on the author, but decided some years back to try books from authors I knew nothing about. I find the local library a good starting point. Althogh most of my books are historical ones, I often relax with an easy to read thriller, where the old grey matter is not tested too much.

Usually whatever I find in a charity shop. Normally an author I've heard of, but often just something that looks interesting.

Just started on James Ellroy's Perfidia, set in the corrupt 1940s LAPD like previous book such as LA Confidential. Quite tricky to get into but worth the effort. Huge though, so not one for the holiday suitcase!

For something short and little leftfield, I really enjoyed "It's All About the Bike" by Robert Penn. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-About-Bike-Happiness-x/dp/0141043792
Nice little memoiry thing about a bloke who sets out to build his own bike choosing the best possible components from around the world.

Usually whatever I find in a charity shop. Normally an author I've heard of, but often just something that looks interesting.

Just started on James Ellroy's Perfidia, set in the corrupt 1940s LAPD like previous book such as LA Confidential. Quite tricky to get into but worth the effort. Huge though, so not one for the holiday suitcase!

For something short and little leftfield, I really enjoyed "It's All About the Bike" by Robert Penn. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-About-Bike-Happiness-x/dp/0141043792
Nice little memoiry thing about a bloke who sets out to build his own bike choosing the best possible components from around the world.

I often buy books from charity shops, and often take old ones into them. You can often pick up some really good second hand books from these places.

Try getting a bit of Jasper FForde. Anything from the Thursday Next series or possibly the Big Over Easy. Easy reading. Clever and very funny.

Try getting a bit of Jasper FForde. Anything from the Thursday Next series or possibly the Big Over Easy. Easy reading. Clever and very funny.

I cannot recall reading anything by Jasper Fforde, what kind of books does he write?

They are clever faintly comic. Basically there is a world where all the characters in books actually live and interract with each other, and the more powerful characters are those from books that are read more regularly whereas other characters in forgotten books fade away. Kind of hard to explain but well worth a try.

I used to read books based on the author, but decided some years back to try books from authors I knew nothing about. I find the local library a good starting point. Althogh most of my books are historical ones, I often relax with an easy to read thriller, where the old grey matter is not tested too much.
You're lucky to have a local library.

They are clever faintly comic. Basically there is a world where all the characters in books actually live and interract with each other, and the more powerful characters are those from books that are read more regularly whereas other characters in forgotten books fade away. Kind of hard to explain but well worth a try.

Thank you Paddy. I will get hold of one and give it a go.

In the Walsall area they were saved this week from the Conservative axe as post Council election there is a new Lib/Lab coalition.

I wouldn't be so sure. Walsall has to make absolutely massive budget cuts whomever is in power. They are completely broke.

Not sure that I consider myself fortunate. It is just a pity that more people do not make use of libraries. Barwell, which is a couple of miles from Hinckley, used to have a library, but it was closed. But they do have a moblie library as does Burbage and Wolvey, which are also close to Hinckley.

The strange thing about the closure of Barwell library is that Leicestershire county council did say before its closure that people needed to use it more if they wanted to keep the library in the village. But the locals did not heed this warning, but were very quick to complain when it was closed.

I rarely get books out of the library myself these days (only because I alaways get books for birthday/christmas and usually have a stack to get through) but we are always using the local libraries for the kids. I guess we are fortunate that there are several local libraries for us to use. Being the son of a librarian though (and a former employee of Wolverhampton Central Library myself) I have always grown up with using libraries.

I often go to Stourbridge library. It's great. I've got a couple of books to get me through a train journey to Sussex and back this weekend. Assuming I'm not having to stop my sprogs tearing each others hair out.

With the 50th anniversary of England's World Cup success approaching, I thought now would be an ideal time to re-read "1966 and all that" by Geoff Hurst.

Half way through 'The Gaffer' by Neil Warnock. TBH I was hoping for something a bit more controversial. It's a bit plain, too light on interesting anecdotes. FFS Colin - why did you hold back?!

Should have taken the risk IMO. I wanted to hear about that infamous game with Albion - the Battle of Bramhall Lane or whatever it was called!

Back