• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Me Before You, Jo Jo Moyes. Definitely not a happily ever after story, but still a good read.

' Race,Sex, And The Freedom To Marry ' . The story of Mildred & Richard Loving. About black v white, love & hate, and 2 people that loved each other no matter what and proved it.

finally got to read a couple of books I've had on the kindle a while.

the star rover - jack London. Book that the film the jacket was based on. V good, covers reincarnation and the enduring of long term suffering.

ice by Anna kavan. an end of civilisation scenario, it's told in the first person and mainly covers the relationship between 3 people. a lot of it, especially the characters motives, is unclear so it's quite an odd little book which I like. I reckon Paul auster must have read this if anyone knows his style.

Living On the Volcano - Michael Calvin's latest offering. Superb. Such an interesting insight into the mind of football management.

I'm a big fan of Michael Calvin and this didn't disappoint.

I finished a book last night and have to choose a newie either this evening or tomorrow. Currently debating a book on King Arthur, or something by Wittgenstein.

Living On the Volcano - Michael Calvin's latest offering. Superb. Such an interesting insight into the mind of football management.

I'm a big fan of Michael Calvin and this didn't disappoint.

You'll have to lend me that ;)

I've just started using it again - you can renew books online as well which is handy!

Got Kenny Sansom's autobiography on Saturday which is supposed to be quite good.

As well as renewing online, you can order/reserve books online too.
This means that you can select from a much wider choice than just what is in the physical building, improving access brilliantly.

finally read Vonnegut's cat's cradle. it was alright. lacking a bit in complexity for me.

Me Before You, Jo Jo Moyes. Definitely not a happily ever after story, but still a good read.

Another good one for the ladies in your life.Book 2, After You by JoJo Moyes. A better ending than the first and another excellent Summer read. Funny, sad, and a bit of romance without it been sickly so. Made me laugh,cry, and both books were hard to put down from pages 1 until The End.

finally got to read a couple of books I've had on the kindle a while.

the star rover - jack London. Book that the film the jacket was based on. V good, covers reincarnation and the enduring of long term suffering.

I'm a pretty big London fan and I've never read this one, although I've not read all his works (he produced a lot) I must try to catch up on that one. I take it the title is a reference to his true dad?

Finished a shepherds life, fantastic book. So well written and understated you really felt that you understood his connection to the land and the life he leads and which is almost lost to our modern world.

Just finished Skagboys too which couldn't have been more different. Welsh at his best I think, his observation and internal commentary is as powerful as it is accurate. The decent into addiction is covered with the knowledge of someone who has been there themselves. Better than I remember trainspotting being, the characters really come to life

Just finished The Vegetarian by Han Kang. It's brilliant - covers a lot of taboo subjects but is beautifully written even in translation.

I'm a pretty big London fan and I've never read this one, although I've not read all his works (he produced a lot) I must try to catch up on that one. I take it the title is a reference to his true dad?

Finished a shepherds life, fantastic book. So well written and understated you really felt that you understood his connection to the land and the life he leads and which is almost lost to our modern world.

Just finished Skagboys too which couldn't have been more different. Welsh at his best I think, his observation and internal commentary is as powerful as it is accurate. The decent into addiction is covered with the knowledge of someone who has been there themselves. Better than I remember trainspotting being, the characters really come to life

sorry, I've only just seen this. only read a couple of London's books so didn't know much about his life but checked his wiki and see what you mean about the title. Not sure if his parentage had any relevance tbh - the title fits the experiences of the main character which you'll see when you read the book. vg anyway.

I really like Irvine Welsh, and Skagboys was really good. But have you read any of that stuff he wrote while living in the USA? Like 'The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins'
Garbage.

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. Story of 3 women during World War 2 is both moving and memorable. Based on real people and actual events.

I really like Irvine Welsh, and Skagboys was really good. But have you read any of that stuff he wrote while living in the USA? Like 'The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins'
Garbage.

Yeah his output is variable at best, I went right off him after Maribu stalk nightmares I think it was. I've dropped in and out every now and then and managed to pick up some of his better works.

I don't think it's any coincidence his best works are drawn from his own experiences.

LJ I'll have to read it if you say it's excellent, I love his books, just got to find some time to at the moment

Back