• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Went to a book sale recently and got there early enough to get a box of Stephen King books. Including the ones that TDan, Frankie and Paddy mentioned. There must be about 22 books altogether so my upcoming Winter reading is all sorted.

A donation went to charity and I came away more than happy.

About to start Bag Of Bones.

Went to a book sale recently and got there early enough to get a box of Stephen King books. Including the ones that TDan, Frankie and Paddy mentioned. There must be about 22 books altogether so my upcoming Winter reading is all sorted.

If you like horror James Herbert is an excellent writer as well

If you like horror James Herbert is an excellent writer as well

Read The Rats and The Fog, will give some others a go when i've got through this lot Keef.

As coincidence would have it - I was in a charity shop today and saw Bag Of Bones for sale for £1.
I realised it was the only Stephen King book I hadn't read - so I'm about to start it as well!

Bag of Bones is one of my favourites. I'd avoid Gerald's Game at all costs though. That and the Dark Tower books are the only SK ones that I haven't enjoyed.

After finishing the Song of Fire & Ice series, I have since read:

The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney - not as good as Time and Again (a great book) but a pretty good read. Finished it in a few days which is good for me!
Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indridason - another one in the Detective Erlendur series. I really like these books. I think it's the bleak, Icelandic setting that I enjoy!

I am now onto my next Jack Reacher book - Echo Burning. They still don't yet live up to the first one but there is something about these books that I really like. The storylines are far fetched but they are so easy and enjoyable to read. I like a good, fast paced thriller.

Currently working my way through Danny Baker's autobiography. Fantastically funny - pretty much a constant stream of barely credible anecdotes.

As coincidence would have it - I was in a charity shop today and saw Bag Of Bones for sale for £1.
I realised it was the only Stephen King book I hadn't read - so I'm about to start it as well!

I'm enjoying it, hope you are too :)

Going to give The Dark Tower series a try. Never read a Stephen King book before.

I love Stephen King but hated the Dark Tower books. You may enjoy them but don't let it put you off King novels if you're not impressed.

I've just this minute finished The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukarjee. Basically a massive history of cancer.

For a book that delves deep into the science behind cancer, it's very readable even for a thicko like me.

I didn't know too much about cancer before, not really having come into contact with it much personally, so I've learned an awful lot.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes a good popular science book.

I've just this minute finished The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukarjee. Basically a massive history of cancer.

For a book that delves deep into the science behind cancer, it's very readable even for a thicko like me.

I didn't know too much about cancer before, not really having come into contact with it much personally, so I've learned an awful lot.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes a good popular science book.

Cancer is a very emotive subject, I lost my Father to the evil disease. Does the book deal with causes, or possible cures?

Oh and not for one second do you come across as anything less than intelligent.

Cancer is a very emotive subject, I lost my Father to the evil disease. Does the book deal with causes, or possible cures?

Oh and not for one second do you come across as anything less than intelligent.
It deals with everything, Frank. Goes right back to the first recorded instances in ancient times and covers all major developments up to the present day and possibilities for the future.

The main thing I learned was that cancer isn't *a* disease, it's loads of different ones and treatments for each have to be different. That's why a "cure" is so difficult to come by. The different cancers are linked in their operation - uncontrolled cell multiplication - but the causes are massively varied.

Current thinking is that much of it is genetic - but not necessarily hereditary - the DNA of a cell mutating and causing a "cancer cell". Carcinogens can cause the mutation but mutations can just happen - evolution in action really.

So the other we live, the more chance of mutations and the more chance of cancer.

So I think efforts will be put into treatments and management rather outright cures as it seems, at a genetic level, it's inevitable for many of us.

That's not hugely comforting - sorry!

The book itself is very humane though, constantly referring back to the human stories that the science affects. It only gets heavy going when it deals with the modern genetic work which was above my head. The author is a respected cancer doctor in the states so deals with a lot of patients with the disease.

*the longer we live

Stupid phone

Twisting My Melon - Shaun Ryder's autobiography.

Absolutely brilliant - the guy is a nutcase, some really funny anecdotes and one of those 'how exactly are you still alive?' type stories. Somehow he also comes across as quite likeable now. He's certainly calmed down a LOT.

Really enjoyed it.

Debating which book to start next. Storm Thorgesons Mind Over Matter about his art for Pink Floyd, or Happy by Derren Brown.
Gotta pick one by 6pm this evening!

Back