• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Debating which book to start next. Storm Thorgesons Mind Over Matter about his art for Pink Floyd, or Happy by Derren Brown.
Gotta pick one by 6pm this evening!
Storm. Sounds fascinating! But I can't stand Derren Brown or that kind of 'magic' nonsense so I can't really give an unbiased opinion!

I'm kinda leaning to Storms book too.
Derren's book isn't about magic. It is purely an examination of what it is that makes us happy. Philosophical I guess. Have to admit I'm really looking forward to reading it. It was a birthday present. Might be nice to read in front of a cosy fire through the winter. Arguably it is a book to study, rather than read IYSWIM?

The Roses of Sebastapol by Katherine McMahon.

Beautifully written novel, with superb descriptions of Crimea and the war conditions. Tails off just after half way, but it identifies itself again in the end.

Would certainly recommend it.

Just started book 19 in the Sharpe series on my Kindle, I guess I'm a bit ITV when it comes to a jolly good read.

About to start Joey Barton's autobiography. Let's see just how much of a cockpocket he is.

If he gets close to Maradona's scale of cunterdom he'll have surpassed expectations.

I was going to read that once it comes out in paperback. I'd be interested in your thoughts as I have a sneaky feeling given that it's a Michael Calvin book that it'll be decent.

I was going to read that once it comes out in paperback. I'd be interested in your thoughts as I have a sneaky feeling given that it's a Michael Calvin book that it'll be decent.
Yeah the fact Calvin helped him with it is one of the reasons why I thought I'd try it.

And I can't see it being a tame read either. Can't stand the bloke but it should be entertaining!

I'm going through a Richard Laymon phase at the moment.

I read The Travelling Vampire Show a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but then got distracted by reading other things and forgot all about him. I recently noticed I could get a lot of his books for £0.99 in my Kobo e-reader so have read Night in the Lonesome October, Island and The Cellar.

They are highly unrealistic with plenty of over the top sex and violence but I am really enjoying them!

Library Of Souls, the 3rd novel from Miss Peregrine & The Peculiars. Another one that didn't disappoint.

I'm going through a Richard Laymon phase at the moment.

I read The Travelling Vampire Show a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but then got distracted by reading other things and forgot all about him. I recently noticed I could get a lot of his books for £0.99 in my Kobo e-reader so have read Night in the Lonesome October, Island and The Cellar.

They are highly unrealistic with plenty of over the top sex and violence SO I am really enjoying them!

Fixed that for you.

Not usually into monster stories but find I have been gifted the Dinosaur Lake series by Kathryn Meyer Griffith, and downloaded to my kindle. :hmmm: not even sure what age group they are aimed at, but will give them a go.

Finished Joey Barton's book.

Hmm, it's actually a very good read. As you could have easily predicted, he's quite fond of talking utter nonsense about himself but every so often, it's hard to disagree with his views. There are a few interesting insights - doubtless that some of which aren't 100% accurate of course.

His problem is his ridiculous sense of self importance and blaming too many of his issues on his rough childhood (and it sounded bloody horrendous TBF). It'd be wrong to say he accepts no blame himself because he certainly does on numerous occasions but I got the impression that he perversely enjoys talking about the scraps he's got into.

I don't think he's anywhere near as 'complicated' as he wants people to think he is and my opinion that he's a nasty piece of work hasn't altered but it's well written. Barton has always been eloquent and of course Michael Calvin helped him with it but nonetheless it's worth a read - just don't expect to have your opinion of Barton to change!

Finished Joey Barton's book.

Hmm, it's actually a very good read. As you could have easily predicted, he's quite fond of talking utter nonsense about himself but every so often, it's hard to disagree with his views. There are a few interesting insights - doubtless that some of which aren't 100% accurate of course.

His problem is his ridiculous sense of self importance and blaming too many of his issues on his rough childhood (and it sounded bloody horrendous TBF). It'd be wrong to say he accepts no blame himself because he certainly does on numerous occasions but I got the impression that he perversely enjoys talking about the scraps he's got into.

I don't think he's anywhere near as 'complicated' as he wants people to think he is and my opinion that he's a nasty piece of work hasn't altered but it's well written. Barton has always been eloquent and of course Michael Calvin helped him with it but nonetheless it's worth a read - just don't expect to have your opinion of Barton to change!

Does he make much mention of his somewhat controversial period at Manchester City?

Does he make much mention of his somewhat controversial period at Manchester City?
Yes he goes into plenty of detail about all his main controversies.

He didn't mention his spat with Karl Henry though. Although that was incredibly tame compared to the various other incidents he's been involved in.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. Starts off about a right grumpy old bastard, who over the chapters you warm to and end up loving.

The Roots of Comedy by Simon Louvish.

A must for any fans of Laurel and Hardy.

Finished Alan Partridge - Nomad.

Whilst it's not as good as I, Partridge, it's still absolutely hilarious.

A personal highlight being his nemesis in the local swimming pool. Who is a pensioner called Dawn. Oh and his dislike of Noel Edmonds.

That's quite interesting, almost all of the books I have read on that chart require the same answer to the first 3 or 4 questions.

Back