• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Cheers Nimrod.

I am currently halfway through Carrie Brownstein's book then I have my Christmas books to read (2 x Stephen King, 1 x Lee Child, 1 x Larry McMurtry, 1 x Patrick Rothfuss) so haven't bought any sci-fi yet. I have a £12 Waterstones voucher plus £30 to spend on e-books though so will be probably be buying Altered Carbon first as that was one I'd already considered before you recommended it.

If you want fantasy then I can recommend the wheel of time by Robert Jordan. At 14 books it goes on a bit but is generally pretty good.

Cheers Nimrod.

I am currently halfway through Carrie Brownstein's book then I have my Christmas books to read (2 x Stephen King, 1 x Lee Child, 1 x Larry McMurtry, 1 x Patrick Rothfuss) so haven't bought any sci-fi yet. I have a £12 Waterstones voucher plus £30 to spend on e-books though so will be probably be buying Altered Carbon first as that was one I'd already considered before you recommended it.

np, the flowchart just a bit of fun.

rothfuss. hmm, good luck with that one.

I love a flow chart :D

You not a fan of Rothfuss? Not read any of his before but the series had good reviews.

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, the first and in my opinion the best of her books about the Arthurian legend.

You not a fan of Rothfuss? Not read any of his before but the series had good reviews.

i know - see my post 202 in the thread! it's actually higher ranked than GoT on Goodreads which is completely ridiculous.

as with music, ratings without context can be a bit dangerous.

for instance, i think more complex books will generally get ranked down for that complexity. some people just won't get it or even try to.

there was no complexity with the rothfuss.

I followed the flow chart another way and ended up at "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" by Stephen Donaldson. Without doubt my favourite fantasy books.

i know - see my post 202 in the thread! it's actually higher ranked than GoT on Goodreads which is completely ridiculous.

as with music, ratings without context can be a bit dangerous.

for instance, i think more complex books will generally get ranked down for that complexity. some people just won't get it or even try to.

there was no complexity with the rothfuss.

Just read post #202. I'll save that book for last then! Strange that it gets pretty much universally great reviews (and it's #18 on the top 100 books that flow chart is based on!)

I know very little about fantasy books TBH (could have done with that flow chart!) it's not a genre I thought I'd be interested in until I read the Song of Fire & Ice series.

Just read post #202. I'll save that book for last then! Strange that it gets pretty much universally great reviews (and it's #18 on the top 100 books that flow chart is based on!)

I know very little about fantasy books TBH (could have done with that flow chart!) it's not a genre I thought I'd be interested in until I read the Song of Fire & Ice series.

well, you can't really take my word for it. it's personal taste after all. i'd certainly be interested to hear what you thought of it in the hope it reinforces my view. and i certainly prefer sci-fi to fantasy.

I massively prefer fantasy to sci-fi personally. I loved Eddings, Tolkein and Donaldson as a teenager and have never really looked back

Jordan is up there as well.

A nice sci-fi fantasy mix is Julian May The Pliocene Exile series. Massively recommended.

Tolkien is good but can be quite heavy going at times in LOTR. The Hobbit is the best one to start with.

Jordan is up there as well.

A nice sci-fi fantasy mix is Julian May The Pliocene Exile series. Massively recommended.

i like this series but i thought it got a bit silly due to the powers some of the characters had.

The Name of the Wind was a superb book. Excellently written, and brilliantly split into two different timelines. Not an easy thing to do, but Rothfuss did it to near perfection.

I Bring To You by Stephanie Aird.

Nice to see her doing well.

Currently on The Sympathiser by Viet Thanh Nguyen which won the 2016 Pulitzer Prize. Fictional story of a North Vietnamese spy living in the States after the end of the Vietnam War. Very, very funny so far.

My mother-in-law got me a Waterstones voucher for my birthday so yesterday I picked up

Leviathan by Philip Hoare. One man's obsession with whales. I do like a good nature book

The Sellout by Paul Beatty - satire about a black man tries to reinstate slavery and segregation in his home town

Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama - Japanese crime novel that's been getting rave reviews.

Back