• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Used to visit Wolverhampton Central Library regularly as a kid. Only been a few of times in the past couple years. Tthere always seems to be a group of people who appear to spend all day in there. It seems to attract a certain type of loon.

With the 50th anniversary of England's World Cup success approaching, I thought now would be an ideal time to re-read "1966 and all that" by Geoff Hurst.

Seen it, been bought it, read it. It was going OK until he signed for the A****n.

I didn't realise that he played cricket for Essex 2nds and IIRC got an outing in their first team.

Seen it, been bought it, read it. It was going OK until he signed for the A****n.

I didn't realise that he played cricket for Essex 2nds and IIRC got an outing in their first team.

Apparently he was not a bad cricketer. I knew that he played some games for Essex seconds, but I did not know he had played in their first team.

Finished the Alan McGee autobiography, bit of a tough read mainly as I'm shuttle with names and there's loads of people in here. There's not much style but it's interesting enough, he has led a pretty fantastic life and still continues to doing something he has an absolute passion for.

Interesting to see his view on the music business, would be hard to recommender it though unless you had a genuine interest. Think I'll try Tony Wilson's bio when I get chance.

Ive picked up the Sheperd's Life again. I'm about a third of the way through, it's very well written.

Have a read of skagboys newbridge! You know you want to.

I'm enjoying Iain M Banks The State of the Art a lot more than I thought I would.

It's under the bed! I started the Sheperds life before I read the Alan McGee book. I'll read skag boys next, although I'll have to move the Kafka complete stories from the bedside table...

If I had the time I'd be very well read.

I've not read any Iain Banks, I think I've already got a lifetime of books I'll never get through as it is!

Picked up a Grisham novel for the first time (The Partner). Also have The Runaway Jury. Think I'm on a bit of a fiction kick, and the blurbs sounded promising. Have got quite into the book so far. Lots of potential.

Any Grisham fans? Is this going to be full of intrigue and twists, or be a let down?

Picked up a Grisham novel for the first time (The Partner). Also have The Runaway Jury. Think I'm on a bit of a fiction kick, and the blurbs sounded promising. Have got quite into the book so far. Lots of potential.

Any Grisham fans? Is this going to be full of intrigue and twists, or be a let down?

Read a few of his though not recently.

Decent enough, though the fact that the plots haven't dramatically stuck in my memory would indicate that they were not particularly special. From what I remember they seemed a little formulaic

Good enough for sitting in the garden after work having a chill out then. That'll do me, til I pick up something more intensive. Or another JtR book...

I've never read any Grisham, maybe I should? In fact, there are loads of popular authors that I have never read anything by. Stephen King is probably the only universally popular best seller that I can think of that I own books by (and JK Rowling too I guess) and I only gave him a try because someone couldn't believe I'd never read any of his books and said I HAD to read Salem's Lot. Now he is my favourite author and that is one of my favourite ever books.

If you like Horror then read some James Herbert. I read a lot of his stuff when I was younger and it was ace.

I loved James Herbert when I was a teenager. Never quite got over the school gym scene in The Fog. I'm sure the P.E. teacher was a right bastard, but I'm not sure he deserved *that*.

I have read one James Herbert book (Others) and can't actually remember whether I liked it or not! Maybe I should check out some of his more famous works.

I need to compile a list of books that I've never read that I really should have. The problem is that the authors I know and love have so many books that I am still to read that I never get the chance to branch out as much as I'd like. I'll read any genre as long as it's well written with a good storyline. There are too many books and not enough time!

The Fog
Rats/Lair
Sepulchre

I specifically remember really liking those.

It's so long ago now I can't remember if I've read that.

I know I read Moon by Herbert, and a few others. I seem to recall one book with an extreme scene in a school (could have been the fog) but the affected character was female.

I have read quite a bit of Herbert

Rats / Lair / Domain is a good trilogy
The Spear is well worth a read
Shrine is my absolute favourite - great story
Magic Cottage
Sepulchre
The Fog

Off the top of my head those are probably the best

I recall getting The Fog out of the library back in the day, is it the one where,early on someone peers through a letterbox and sees a dog shuffling along on bloody stumps? I couldn`t read anymore put me off horror for life. I don`t know why, I suppose it`s quite tame compared to some things but it just did something to my head. Anyway, I`ll stick to Bill Bryson and the Jack Reacher series.

Back