• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Zenga appointed head coach

Has his contract been mentioned anywhere yet? Wonder if the 1 year rolling policy will continue under Fosun.

Has his contract been mentioned anywhere yet? Wonder if the 1 year rolling policy will continue under Fosun.

Haven't seen a mention of that. One for the Journo's to ask tomorrow but they will probably go with such gems as "How many suits do you own?" and "What is the main difference between Wolverhampton and the UAE?"

What was the breakfast like at Patshull Park...

I was furious when it got announced yesterday morning...

.... I still don't get it today, to be honest.

There's a general consensus given his overall record that he'll just be here as a stopgap measure. If he is, why not just use Jackett as a stop-gap? He knows the division, which Zenga doesn't. He knows the players, which Zenga doesn't. About the only argument I've seen in his favour which I can understand is that he provides a bit of international name value that Kenny doesn't, but no-ones going to come here because they want to play for Walter Zenga, they'll come here because Mendes is telling them to, and for sacks of Yuan. And maybe to sample some proper pork scratchings, I don't know.

I mean, please don't interpret this as saying that Kenny should be the manager going forward, because he's obviously not a good fit under the Fosun regime. I'd just rather see Fosun wait until their "man", whoever it may be, becomes available. Then you can sack Jackett, bring in your project manager like Lopategui would presumably have been, and build for the long-term from there.

There's a general consensus given his overall record that he'll just be here as a stopgap measure. If he is, why not just use Jackett as a stop-gap? He knows the division, which Zenga doesn't. He knows the players, which Zenga doesn't. About the only argument I've seen in his favour which I can understand is that he provides a bit of international name value that Kenny doesn't, but no-ones going to come here because they want to play for Walter Zenga, they'll come here because Mendes is telling them to, and for sacks of Yuan. And maybe to sample some proper pork scratchings, I don't know.

I mean, please don't interpret this as saying that Kenny should be the manager going forward, because he's obviously not a good fit under the Fosun regime. I'd just rather see Fosun wait until their "man", whoever it may be, becomes available. Then you can sack Jackett, bring in your project manager like Lopategui would presumably have been, and build for the long-term from there.
I agree with you, only stop gap scenario that makes any sense is 1 year if they got someone they fancy lined up next summer. On the other hand would be strange if Walter agreed to that. I dunno.

Some people make it sound like 2-3 months.

To be fair Kenny knows the division and got us absolutely nowhere boring everyone to death last year so that doesn't go for him and yes he knows the players we have got at the moment but he won't know half the squad soon and he doesn't know how to get the best out of the players he did know. I'm not saying Zenga is a great appointment, time will tell but Jackett had to go.

I think Fosun were happy to work with Kenny.....but he wasn't overly keen to work with players being given to him or knowing they really don't see him as long term and could replace him at any point. So, maybe a situation came up where KJ said he would leave but would hang around until they got someone in quickly.

The only guy I feel sorry for at Wolves is the Twitterman . 2 nights in a row he has had his night ruined by having to tweet breaking news.

You're late to the party Mixu.

Most people on the thread have said the same as you, and came to the conclusion that the best thing to do is buckle up and hang on for the ride.
He may be stop-gap, he may not be stop-gap. He may be OK, he may be shit, who knows?

I think the only reason he's been touted as a stop gap is because some really think he's probably a poor appointment, but don't want to say so. I don't for one minute think he's a stop-gap, but might in effect become one if his record is anything to go by, and jusging by what I've read and heard about him he's as likely to be sacked for having fall outs with club staff than bad results. It will be interesting to see how he and Butti work together being as Zenga is nothing if not a loose cannon.

I also wonder if the fans will take to his style of football which "is 4-5-1 big man up top, tight at the back, struggles to score goals" after having to endure similar last season.

Interesting, exciting for sure. We've got to support him and hopefully he'll surprise us, but realistically I don't think he'll last long.

I also wonder if the fans will take to his style of football which "is 4-5-1 big man up top, tight at the back, struggles to score goals" after having to endure similar last season.

Where have you read that? Everything I've seen has said he's an attacking 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 guy.

Welcome, Walter. Thought he was awesome as a player but I know pretty much nothing about him as a manager.

Although from what I've read, it promises to beat last season's bore fest one way or another!

Totally prepared to see what he can do, and hope he turns out to be an inspired choice.

He either starts ripping the league apart and he's a hero OR we start sinking down the table and he's replaced. Win Win situation really

He either starts ripping the league apart and he's a hero OR we start sinking down the table and he's replaced. Win Win situation really

Absolutely. Exactly the same as it would have been if Ken had stayed, except we all knew deep down that Ken had no real chance of succeeding and it would almost certainly have been dead time. Zenga might not work out but he has at least a bit of intrigue about him and there is a chance, however small, that it might work out.

Jokanovic's track record wasn't really a whole lot better than Zenga's when he took over Watford. He got them promoted.

Is Zenga a bit of a 'character'? About time we had a nuts manager. As in an extrovert rather than just a fucking idiot.

Is Zenga a bit of a 'character'? About time we had a nuts manager. As in an extrovert rather than just a fucking idiot.

I've got a feeling Zenga will put Pearson to shame.

We'll probably find out tomorrow but does anyone know what his English is like?

It's decent, I've seen a short interview he did in English while managing one of the Middle Eastern clubs and he played and managed in the US for two years.

Back