• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Preston Build Up

No reason vlp can't play on the left, he did ok there in spells last season. The goal against Watford away comes to mind.

But the little fucker can't cross!
Well, he certainly can't cross with and reliable accuracy. And he sure can't shoot when presented with a chance...

He was garbo vs Cardiff and Bolton. I still don't rate him.

He isn't half as bad as you think

You're right there Paddy, well, to a point.
Whilst obviously I've hardly ever seen him play, I've heard commentary on him a lot.
Now I know the commentary on Wolves World is often grim, inaccurate, filled with rubbish etc, but a cross is a cross and a shot on goal is exactly that.
And it does appear that many of his crosses are high, wide, over the bar, behind the goal or behind the player, with the occaisional one on target.
And his shooting on goal is just as accurate. How many goals does he have? How many times has the keeper saved it (on target) and how many wide or over?
His effort and work rate may be high, his ability may be above average, he may be fast, but the end product seems to be just shite.

Whilst obviously I've hardly ever seen him play, I've heard commentary on him a lot.
Now I know the commentary on Wolves World is often grim, inaccurate, filled with rubbish etc, but a cross is a cross and a shot on goal is exactly that.
And it does appear that many of his crosses are high, wide, over the bar, behind the goal or behind the player, with the occaisional one on target.
And his shooting on goal is just as accurate. How many goals does he have? How many times has the keeper saved it (on target) and how many wide or over?
His effort and work rate may be high, his ability may be above average, he may be fast, but the end product seems to be just shite.

Going via radio commentary is probably the worst way to form an opinion though - I know it's pretty much the only way you're able to follow the team (that's no bad thing at the moment though!!), but you're essentially going by the observations of someone else, who may or may not have a clue about football, may have pre-conceived prejudices on a player (imagine official TWF commentary on a game - you'd think Dave Edwards was the lame offspring of Kevin Ashley's pet sloth).

Not for one moment am I saying VLP is a decent player, or even that I'd start him every week but going by the commentary on the radio really isn't going to give you a wholly accurate overview of his strengths and weaknesses.

One of our TL's is walking around the office today wearing Preston North End training gear!!!

Totally random. I asked why he's wearing it and it turns out he is mates with Owen Doyle(???) who plays for them, and he sent it him as a gift.

One of our TL's is walking around the office today wearing Preston North End training gear!!!

Totally random. I asked why he's wearing it and it turns out he is mates with Owen Doyle(???) who plays for them, and he sent it him as a gift.

Eoin Doyle. Used to play for Hibs, Chesterfield & Cardiff.

You'd think DDW would be able to Google who the fucker is....

He looked alright the few times I saw him at Chesterfield but doesn't seem to have done much since.

He looked alright the few times I saw him at Chesterfield but doesn't seem to have done much since.

He looked distinctly average at Hibs, I was surprised he did so well at Chesterfield. I met him once in Magaluf, he was completely off his face. Kept going on and on about how much he hated Anthony Stokes.

Ok thanks. I think he played for Sligo before heading to Scotland? I haven't followed his career obviously

Shelbourne & Shamrock before Sligo as well according to wiki. I'd imagine it would've been the tactical mastermind that is Pat Fenlon who took him over to Hibs.

He looked distinctly average at Hibs, I was surprised he did so well at Chesterfield. I met him once in Magaluf, he was completely off his face. Kept going on and on about how much he hated Anthony Stokes.

He looked generally tidy but unspectacular when I saw him for Chesterfield, competant at most things without having any real standout feature to his game, didn't really look an out and out striker either I didn't think, can sort of see why he hasn't made the step up.

His effort and work rate may be high, his ability may be above average, he may be fast, but the end product seems to be just $#@!e.

Our attacking play is mostly brainless but consistently clueless. Promised great things at the beginning of the season. X crosses Y shots on goal mean absolutely nothing. If you have three attacking players who sync you can destroy most of the teams in this league. To an extent those five or ten minutes of genius that we got from Sako papered over a few cracks. Dicko looked completely lost early season. VLP, Henry, Siggy, Doherty, Baath etc etc are just not what we require if the ambition is top two. McCarthy soon swept aside his early team - out went the likes of Potter and Johnson and that is where we are at now.

Vlp got a good number of assists last season, so there is an end product. His finishing is shite though obviously.

he had his share of spawny ones, but there were also some very good ones. He is best suited to a team with pace around him - when he's the only one we rely on him, the other team double up on him and he isn't clever enough to work around it.

Going via radio commentary is probably the worst way to form an opinion though - I know it's pretty much the only way you're able to follow the team (that's no bad thing at the moment though!!), but you're essentially going by the observations of someone else, who may or may not have a clue about football, may have pre-conceived prejudices on a player (imagine official TWF commentary on a game - you'd think Dave Edwards was the lame offspring of Kevin Ashley's pet sloth).

Not for one moment am I saying VLP is a decent player, or even that I'd start him every week but going by the commentary on the radio really isn't going to give you a wholly accurate overview of his strengths and weaknesses.

I know that Ian, and I've doffed my cap at the often shite radio commentary, and whilst I hate to defend the plums who do most of it, you have to respect Thommo who as an old Wolves player has to have some idea of what he's talking about, so if he says, 'that shot is wide' or, 'that was way over the bar' you have to assume that's what it was and to replay the point I made regardless of the commentary a shot is a shot, and a shit cross is just that.
You certainly have a point that the radio is a poor way to form an opinion, but if Deutsch was next to me, or even showing any interest in this conversation, a string of stats would do...
Games played, accurate passes, accurate crosses, accurate shots vs all the opposite.
Prem Q said that he has a high number of assists, which is great, but I think that is a by product rather than an end product.

In all fairness WH i've listened to Thommo on the radio on the way back from games and he talks absolute shite. Often what he says hasn't actually happened in the game or he missed something completely. Like the Bolton 2nd goal he still wasn't sure 20 minutes after the game had finished that it had taken a deflection when it was obvious to everyone with eyes it had taken a massive one off Batth.

Back