• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Preston Build Up

Wasn't that yesterday? Lost 2-1 with Liam McAlinden scoring a penalty for us

So it was - didn't check the date on the website article. Deslandes, Price and Byrne all played 90 minutes.

I must admit that I cannot understand why Price is left out of the first team. Perhaps if he played, then McDonald's game would improve. He has always looked better when Price has been in the team.

He's also always on for a short pass, lessening the compulsion for our clog merchants at the back to wang it forward to no-one in particular.

Oh stop it with your wild and wacky ideas of selecting our best, most attacking team. It ain't gonna happen, it will be more of the same dirge and we the fans will spend the 90 minutes looking skywards at the shooting star that is the football!

Jackett doesn't rate Price, we could win 10 on the trott with him in the side, lose the next game and he'd be dropped straight afterwards as the scapegoat. How he can't get in a midfield which basically includes 3 DM's god only knows.
I'm beginning to think despite what he says that Jackett doesn't have any or very little say in our signings. Wallace, Byrne and now Mason dropped or given little opportunity. How you can spend the money we have and then after one game say he doesn't fit into your favoured 45....1 (it's never ever 433, no matter how any times he might say it is) formation is mindblowing really.

He's also always on for a short pass, lessening the compulsion for our clog merchants at the back to wang it forward to no-one in particular.

Doesn't always work out that way though. With the few touches he did have, Jack Price played like Pirlo away at Rotherham. Despite that, he wasn't even in the running for MOTM in a game almost completely devoid of quality because Batth & EEL kept spannering the ball out of play rather than pass it short.

Jacko didn't put a foot wrong all game and played some inspired passes but for all the influence he had on the game he might as well have not bothered to turn up. Criminally underused.

Jackett doesn't rate Price, we could win 10 on the trott with him in the side, lose the next game and he'd be dropped straight afterwards as the scapegoat. How he can't get in a midfield which basically includes 3 DM's god only knows.
I'm beginning to think despite what he says that Jackett doesn't have any or very little say in our signings. Wallace, Byrne and now Mason dropped or given little opportunity. How you can spend the money we have and then after one game say he doesn't fit into your favoured 45....1 formation is mindblowing really.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I heard Mason was ill (which I think was on Twitter at the start of the match) but for him to say he wanted to try something else with a new formation just totally confused me. He's always gone on about any new signing has to be as good as or better than what we already have, and here's our major signing of the window (and in monetary value, the season) dropped after a goalscoring debut because the manager doesn't think he fits a pretty standard, commonly used footballing system?

I'm hoping it's just a one-off and he'll be back in the side at the weekend, but it beggars belief that Wallace, Byrne and now Mason - around £4-5m paid in total - can't find a way into his side. That can't just be coincidence surely?

I'd guess Mason is comfortably Jackett's most expensive signing, across his entire career not just Wolves, seems bizarre that you'd commit those sort of funds towards someone who you don't see as a permanent fixture in the side. It already looks a steep price as it is but that'll be magnified if he's only considered a tactical option rather than one of the first names on the teamsheet.

So who is our best option to play on the left without Graham? Henry, Byrne and VlP are all right sided players. Wallace could have done a job playing from the left I think although having a competent and left footed full back behind whoever plays there should be a priority to try and keep some balance. I'd keep McDonald and give him Price back alongside him to see if it helps and get Mason back in to provide some help for Siggy.

KJ has always tried to keep Price out during his time here and always ends up bringing him back, my guess is he is too small and not powerful enough for his liking. Yet another reason to dislike our head coach.

So who is our best option to play on the left without Graham?

AMA309069.thumb.jpg

Byrne's looked decent on the left in the paltry opportunities he's had. He had a really good game at Blues playing out there.

I've seen every single one of our home league games this season. You know how many Nathan Byrne has started? One.

We're virtually safe, we're playing Preston so try and play some football (on the floor)

The tried and tested are not the answer so big changes with a view to next season.

Quick, fluid passing and movement. We don't have a left back so unfortunately it'll have to be the closest fit in Rowe. I'd play Byrne instead of VLP and and Saville seems the best fit wide left (is there anybody there?) but I'd ask him to stay further forward.

------------------------------Martinez--------------------------------

Doherty ----------Iorfa------------------EEL-------------------Rowe

------------------------------Mac--------------------------------------

-----------Byrne-------------- Price------------------ Saville---------

--------------------Mason--------------ALF-----------------

If Price, Byrne & Mason all start I'll be delighted but that's highly unlikely. Or if he does play those 3 he'll probably ruin it by playing Byrne up front on his own, Price as number 10 and Mason as a holding midfielder.

Just give it a go and play some attacking football...cant get any worse

The back 5 won't change but I'll keep a faint hope that the front 6 is:

----Price - McDonald

VlP----Mason----Byrne

-------Siggy---------

And maybe, just maybe, Ken will allow them to try and play some actual football.

No reason vlp can't play on the left, he did ok there in spells last season. The goal against Watford away comes to mind.

Back