• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

30 years today since Billy Wright passed away.

We drew 1-1 up at Sunderland that afternoon:

Then the following home game against Tranmere was extremely emotional with some lovely tributes pre-match:

Just watching a bit of the excellent Wolves Archive series.....I know it was lower level but those Bully days were such good fun.
Some of the finishes were just outstanding.

Then some of the others were somewhat more scruffy :ROFLMAO:

He did the Shearer celebration before Shearer did too.

Some of the finishes were just outstanding.

Then some of the others were somewhat more scruffy :ROFLMAO:

He did the Shearer celebration before Shearer did too.
"Hit it before the keeper gets chance to think about it" is certainly true for a lot of them

"Hit it before the keeper gets chance to think about it" is certainly true for a lot of them
I believe that was his particular strength.

It sounds easy but he was as good a striker I’ve ever seen/watched who did this with regularity.

Reactions: b3h
20 years ago today:

In the midst of our spell where we couldn't score a penalty to save our lives. We missed some more after this too until Kev Cooper took the reins.

Also around when Dave Jones was telling the press "he's been on the list for months and who's come in for him - exactly" about Kenny Miller. Er Dave, he's our best player at the moment. And you've now pissed him off and he'll end up leaving for free. Thanks la.

The list of misses, it was an unreal run:

October 2002 - Shaun Newton vs Rotherham (A) (shootout)
October 2002 - Denis Irwin vs Rotherham (A) (shootout)
October 2002 - Dean Sturridge vs Grimsby (H)
April 2003 - Colin Cameron vs Rotherham (H)
March 2004 - Vio Ganea vs Aston Villa (H)
April 2004 - Colin Cameron vs Man City (A)
April 2004 - Henri Camara vs Middlesbrough (H)
August 2004 - Kenny Miller vs Leeds (H)
September 2004 - Kenny Miller vs Wigan (H)
September 2004 - Carl Cort vs Burnley (A)
September 2004 - Keith Andrews vs Burnley (A)
September 2004 - Carl Cort vs Burnley (A) (shootout)
September 2004 - Seyi George Olofinjana vs Burnley (A) (shootout)
October 2004 - Shaun Newton vs Nottm Forest (A)

No idea why they ever thought Newton would be a good pick (and he bookends the run of shame). I've never been so sure that someone would miss as when he stepped up at Forest, if I'd had £50,000 in my pocket at the time I'd have put it all on him not scoring, 100%.

Last edited:
And as I've mentioned a couple of times fairly recently - we haven't missed a penalty in the league since September 2017 (Neves at Sheffield United). It's got to be close to a Wolves record, or a longest current record for any English team, or both.

Did it make him run towards the corner flag rather than do anything meaningful?

He lost all goalscoring instinct whatsoever. I don't think that was anything to do with concussion.

26 years ago today:

Who should pop up to break our hearts deep into injury time? We played really well here against a team that went on to walk the league. However we didn't get the win and they were starting to dry up under McGhee - he only lasted another couple of months.

Team: Stowell; Muscat, Richards, Curle, Sedgley, Naylor; Osborn, Gomez, Froggatt; Bull, Keane (Connolly 90). Unused subs: Emblen, Corica

26 years ago today:

Who should pop up to break our hearts deep into injury time? We played really well here against a team that went on to walk the league. However we didn't get the win and they were starting to dry up under McGhee - he only lasted another couple of months.

Team: Stowell; Muscat, Richards, Curle, Sedgley, Naylor; Osborn, Gomez, Froggatt; Bull, Keane (Connolly 90). Unused subs: Emblen, Corica
IIRC they scored a 90+ minute winner in the reverse fixture that season too but it was Quinn on that occasion.

Yeah that Keano one is what I'm on about (we didn't have one disallowed at home).

He doesn't foul the defender at all.

Back