• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

30 years ago today.

It's pretty poor opposition but if you were to describe the best of Graham Taylor's Wolves - this would be it.

Team: Stowell; Smith, Shirtliff, Venus, Thompson; Walters, Emblen, Ferguson, Froggatt; Bull, Kelly. Unused subs: Blades, Jones, Birch

Last edited:
Robbie Dennison did an admirable job of filling in long after his peak in the second half of the season, but the loss of Froggatt was such a hammer blow to us. Once he got injured, we couldn't play on the break any more.

Oh and we should have paid the money for Mark Walters.

30 years ago today.

It's pretty poor opposition but if you were to describe the best of Graham Taylor's Wolves - this would be it.

Team: Stowell; Smith, Shirtliff, Venus, Thompson; Walters, Emblen, Ferguson, Froggatt; Bull, Kelly. Unused subs: Blades, Jones, Birch
Don't worry an out of condition Paul Stewart will soon be back to waddle around the pitch

Don't worry an out of condition Paul Stewart will soon be back to waddle around the pitch
I give him some slack now because of what we know about his personal life. But he was rubbish. Also once spotted using a brick style mid 90s mobile phone during the warm-up. As in, the one where they come out 2 minutes before kick off.

Think it was Derby at home where Taylor picked him and left Bully on the bench. Fair to say it didn't go down well.

I give him some slack now because of what we know about his personal life. But he was rubbish. Also once spotted using a brick style mid 90s mobile phone during the warm-up. As in, the one where they come out 2 minutes before kick off.

Think it was Derby at home where Taylor picked him and left Bully on the bench. Fair to say it didn't go down well.
Was that a night game? Seem to remember some discontent even though we were top of the league or thereabouts

30 years ago today.

That Froggatt to Bull goal is one of my favourites, particularly in the 90s.

30 years ago today.

Ronnie Whelan and Ricky Otto playing for them IIRC?

Really? I had that down as a night game. Amazing how the memory plays tricks
It's what you've got me for :D

The Internet hasn't killed me off as a resource yet.

1995/96 was a night game against Derby. Beat them 3-0 and Tony Daley looked amazing. They went up automatically in the end. We did not.

It's what you've got me for :D

The Internet hasn't killed me off as a resource yet.

1995/96 was a night game against Derby. Beat them 3-0 and Tony Daley looked amazing. They went up automatically in the end. We did not.
Daley was brilliant in that game.

Worst haircut ever though

Daley was brilliant in that game.
He was utterly amazing.

However, his gait was completely broken - he even ran with an obvious limp at that point, and it was clear that even if his knees held together, the rest of his body would fall apart with that running style.

He was utterly amazing.

However, his gait was completely broken - he even ran with an obvious limp at that point, and it was clear that even if his knees held together, the rest of his body would fall apart with that running style.
He was broken before we signed him. The medical team (such as we had one in 1994) told Taylor not to sign him and he overruled them, in a way that managers could then which would never ever happen now.

He was a genuinely really good player. But he was doomed here before he even started.

He signed my orange, lightweight, couldn't kick it straight ball at the Fulfen Middle School fete in the Summer of 1985 and nobody can take that away from us

Yesterday was disappointing, but look who we were losing to 29 years ago today...

This was when it was properly starting to unravel under Taylor. 2 wins and 8 points from 8 games after this one, and we finished 1994/95 extremely limply too in terms of wins, so this was 3 wins from 17 league games.

That central midfield is fucking abysmal. How was that our best option?!

Team: Stowell; Smith, Richards, Young, Thompson; Daley, Rankine, Ferguson, Froggatt; Bull, Goodman. Unused subs: Emblen, Cowans, Kelly

IIRC they scored a 90+ minute winner in the reverse fixture that season too but it was Quinn on that occasion.
I was at both of those games too :(

I was in the South Bank for the game at Molineux and from where I was sitting I could see my Dad in the Steve Bull Lower celebrate the late equaliser. That was harsh.

Back