• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

We were really good for about half an hour of that game from memory. Even with the weird diamond ish shaoe KJ thought was going to be a suitable way to replace Sako

We were really good for about half an hour of that game from memory. Even with the weird diamond ish shaoe KJ thought was going to be a suitable way to replace Sako
Yep and Ken weirdly hauled Dicko off at HT after bawling at him for a good 10 minutes on the touchline towards the end of the first half. Puzzling stuff.

Then snapped his knee in the following home game vs Charlton and that was him done as a serious player. I'll maintain forever that he was a far better footballer than Afobe.

Dicko was brilliant before that injury. If he’s fit all season in 14/15 we might have gone up (play offs at least anyway).
We did nominally have back up for him but it was Leon and McAlinden. So scrabbling round for crap loans and we got Sagbo and Danny Graham (the latter actually wasn't too bad, just nothing at all like the same style of player as Dicko. Sagbo was appalling).

Our defence *might* have fallen to shit anyway in November - I mean we had the Batth/Doherty Channel of Doom in full operation - but we had no outlet at all when we were in possession, it was a major problem and that month and a bit killed us. We had very, very good form either side of that.

The Rhombus. Fuck me that was shit.

Just checked and in Dicko's 30 starts in 2014/15 we picked up 65 points.

In the 16 where he didn't start we got 13 points.

Just checked and in Dicko's 30 starts in 2014/15 we picked up 65 points.

In the 16 where he didn't start we got 13 points.
I'd argue we had 2 genuine PL level forwards in Dicko and Sako. Sako did eventually get to play there but both had their careers ruined by injury.

Having re-watched and edited the match highlights of that season, IMO we played some of our best attacking football in 20 years. We missed the play-offs by goal difference after securing 78 points (the most ever for a 7th placed team).

If we had made the play-offs we stood a fair chance of getting promoted. Of course if we had then it would have required some serious investment in the squad, especially the defence - that run of losses in November was horrible.

4-4-2 Diamond was the FM meta at the time, and if the game's good enough for scouting...

Did well in 2010/11 tbf. 7 PL goals and he only started 9 games.

We just didn't have the defence to be able to play two up top properly. Mick always wanted to but it wasn't viable.

Doyle was an odd one, never formed a partnership with anyone. A travesty he didn't win Player of the Year in 2009/10 but I could take or leave him after that season.

I've long thought because the second goal was *so* good the first against Charlton is overlooked.
It's a good point. When I saw it again just then I'd forgotten how good it was.

Also the power in the scissor/bicycle kick against Millwall (?) Is terrific.

It's a good point. When I saw it again just then I'd forgotten how good it was.

Also the power in the scissor/bicycle kick against Millwall (?) Is terrific.
Saunders' first win!

Of course he behaved afterwards as if he'd won the Champions League rather than beating a team in even worse form than we were.

17 years ago yesterday people thought we'd found our latest goalscoring hero. His 4th goal in only his 3rd appearance! Hark now hear, the South Bank sing, a new king's born today.

Literally never scored for us ever again.

So strange how strong he started considering Mick was never really having him.

We did well to move on quickly and sign SEB, even better to convince Coventry to give us our money back for Eastwood

We absolutely robbed Cov blind there. Early on there he had a good game and Chris Coleman was waxing lyrical about him on TV. Yeah, come and see me in six months, Christopher.

Over £4m received for Eastwood and Olofinjana in the same window, crazy scenes.

He was such an ODD player. Like you can see on the winner there - he actually did have a bit of a poacher's instinct if he fancied it. No Fred, tell you what's better, standing in the centre circle with your hands on your hips, and every 10 minutes trying a 35 yarder which just cannons into someone's shins.

The weird hero worship he got off a fair sized portion of our fans when he'd done fuck all for months was insane, particularly as Keogh was the other side of the coin. I know which one I preferred watching and who had the better career in the end.

We absolutely robbed Cov blind there. Early on there he had a good game and Chris Coleman was waxing lyrical about him on TV. Yeah, come and see me in six months, Christopher.

Over £4m received for Eastwood and Olofinjana in the same window, crazy scenes.

He was such an ODD player. Like you can see on the winner there - he actually did have a bit of a poacher's instinct if he fancied it. No Fred, tell you what's better, standing in the centre circle with your hands on your hips, and every 10 minutes trying a 35 yarder which just cannons into someone's shins.

The weird hero worship he got off a fair sized portion of our fans when he'd done fuck all for months was insane, particularly as Keogh was the other side of the coin. I know which one I preferred watching and who had the better career in the end.
One of the most bizarre things that occurred at Wolves in the last 20 years IMO.

I never understood the hero worship Eastwood got off a reasonable sized slice of the Wolves fanbase as he was ordinary at best and bloody lazy to boot.

Oh well a real goal scoring striker was bought, 6 months later, in January 2008 for the same price - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

24 years today since I was at this shitshow!

I cannot accurately express how bad we were. Oh and that "temporary" stand is still there...

Back