• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Chorley is a weird myth, I don't know anyone who was there.

Anyone going to pipe up from on here?
I was for the last game when we got stuffed. There were about two hundred of us on the side. Walked out with 15 minutes to go and had a pint in silence with my brother just across the road.

trains were such a mess due to the heat so had to go to Crewe, then Stafford then Wolverhampton I think. Something like that anyway.

Got there just in time for kick off having left work in east London at

Worth it (even if the game was a bit crap)

Everyone stood outside the London as it was like the seventh circle of hell inside the building.

And everyone setting off the fire alarm on the doors...

Feels so much longer than five years ago to me. Such a pedestrian performance but as a moment playing in Europe it was brilliant.

18 years ago today:

Another fabulous team :D

Murray; Clyde, Breen (Edwards 45), Craddock, Naylor; Ricketts (Gobern 82), Henry, O'Connor, Clapham; Cort, Bothroyd (C Davies 65)

Unused subs: Oakes, Frankowski

Remarkable how well we did that season considering that was the squad we started the season with!
Mick got us through the early part of the season just by making us tough and properly fit. There was next to no quality out there, bar Murray who was only still here because he'd been broken for years (and when he could play, was clearly a million miles better than any keeper in the league). Got a bit more quality in around Nov/Dec/Jan when we brought Kightly, McIndoe (a wanker, but not Rohan Ricketts or Jamie Clapham), Ward and Keogh in.

Was nice to have a team who wanted to play for us again though after the fag end of the Hoddle era when only Lescott, Naylor and Miller wanted to know.

Top appearance makers that season:

Olofinjana 46
Murray 44
Breen 42
Potter 40
Craddock 36
Bothroyd 35
Henry 34
Edwards 33
McIndoe 29
Little 27
Kightly 26
Clapham 26
Collins 24
C Davies 23
Clarke 22
McNamara 21
Johnson 20
Ward 20
Keogh 19
Ricketts 19

It's an odd, odd, odd mix

18 years ago today:

Another fabulous team :D

Murray; Clyde, Breen (Edwards 45), Craddock, Naylor; Ricketts (Gobern 82), Henry, O'Connor, Clapham; Cort, Bothroyd (C Davies 65)

Unused subs: Oakes, Frankowski
The infamous lost car in Plymouth day for me i think. did two visits to Home Park. The other one Vokes scored a cracker

Another opening day, it's 19 years today since this one. A game so unmemorable that there aren't any proper highlights for it (at least until @KiwiWolf61 gets on the case :D ).

Team: Oakes; McNamara, Edwards, Lescott, Naylor; Ricketts, Ince, Kennedy; Cort, Miller (Clarke 85), Seol (Olofinjana 78).

Unused subs: Ikeme, Craddock, Cameron.

We'd played a 4-4-2 diamond at the back end of 2004/05 and won 4 of the final 5 games. Should have been 5 out of 5 but we conceded late at Highfield Road and drew 2-2. So of course Hoddle ripped all that up, reimagined Mark Kennedy as a central midfielder so we had the slowest engine room in the world (to which he added Darren Anderton a few weeks later), and put Carl Cort on the right wing. And Leon Clarke on the left wing when he played.

Another opening day, it's 19 years today since this one. A game so unmemorable that there aren't any proper highlights for it (at least until @KiwiWolf61gets on the case :D ).
My match highlights for this game go for just under 1 minute - 2 Wolves chances 1) Carl Cort has a header that hits the bar from a corner and 2) a Kenny Miller effort that is well saved by Southampton's keeper Niemi.

Video quality is much better than above.

Probably a month away before I get up to posting match highlights from 2005/06.

Pretty sure you'll have loads of games from that season that struggle to stretch to 90 seconds of highlights :D

Pretty sure you'll have loads of games from that season that struggle to stretch to 90 seconds of highlights :D
I have 48 games (out of 50 played for that season) and 33 are 90 seconds or less.

Pretty much a season wasted and one to forget (except for watching highlights on my channel :D ).

Back