• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Speaking of wasted seasons, with reviewing and going though so many matches/season I found season 2000/01 particularly bland and almost anaemic (except for the 3-1 win against WBA).

Of course seasons 2011/12 and 2012/13 were horrible . . . but they weren't dull.

Another opening day, it's 19 years today since this one. A game so unmemorable that there aren't any proper highlights for it (at least until @KiwiWolf61 gets on the case :D ).

Team: Oakes; McNamara, Edwards, Lescott, Naylor; Ricketts, Ince, Kennedy; Cort, Miller (Clarke 85), Seol (Olofinjana 78).

Unused subs: Ikeme, Craddock, Cameron.

We'd played a 4-4-2 diamond at the back end of 2004/05 and won 4 of the final 5 games. Should have been 5 out of 5 but we conceded late at Highfield Road and drew 2-2. So of course Hoddle ripped all that up, reimagined Mark Kennedy as a central midfielder so we had the slowest engine room in the world (to which he added Darren Anderton a few weeks later), and put Carl Cort on the right wing. And Leon Clarke on the left wing when he played.
I was at this. From memory (and that may well be incorrect), absolutely nothing happened for 85 minutes then they brought Walcott on for the last few minutes and he caused chaos with his pace without it leading to anything. And that was that.

Was also at the Plymouth 1-1, such a low quality game. Felt good to see the players fighting again though.

Another opening day, it's 19 years today since this one. A game so unmemorable that there aren't any proper highlights for it (at least until @KiwiWolf61 gets on the case :D ).

Team: Oakes; McNamara, Edwards, Lescott, Naylor; Ricketts, Ince, Kennedy; Cort, Miller (Clarke 85), Seol (Olofinjana 78).

Unused subs: Ikeme, Craddock, Cameron.

We'd played a 4-4-2 diamond at the back end of 2004/05 and won 4 of the final 5 games. Should have been 5 out of 5 but we conceded late at Highfield Road and drew 2-2. So of course Hoddle ripped all that up, reimagined Mark Kennedy as a central midfielder so we had the slowest engine room in the world (to which he added Darren Anderton a few weeks later), and put Carl Cort on the right wing. And Leon Clarke on the left wing when he played.
IIRC, the Edgbaston Ashes test was on and the end of day 3 clashed with this. Kept turning over to the more exciting event.

Mick got us through the early part of the season just by making us tough and properly fit. There was next to no quality out there, bar Murray who was only still here because he'd been broken for years (and when he could play, was clearly a million miles better than any keeper in the league). Got a bit more quality in around Nov/Dec/Jan when we brought Kightly, McIndoe (a wanker, but not Rohan Ricketts or Jamie Clapham), Ward and Keogh in.

Was nice to have a team who wanted to play for us again though after the fag end of the Hoddle era when only Lescott, Naylor and Miller wanted to know.

Remembering we lost 3-1 to Preston early on and the team were clapped off at the end because they left everything out there. That was a proper step change, I'd never seen that much positive recognition for a losing effort at that point.

25 years today since Keano's penultimate goal for us (and it would be our last win at Man City for over 20 years):

Place your bets on whether Carl Robinson actually meant that pass or not.

25 years today since Keano's penultimate goal for us (and it would be our last win at Man City for over 20 years):

Place your bets on whether Carl Robinson actually meant that pass or not.
I'll give Carl Robinson the benefit of the doubt, after all it was his peach of a pass that set-up Don Goodman's winner against Leeds in the 1998 FA Cup Quarter-Final.

11 years ago today:

Pitiful (and I mean pitiful) opposition but in a similar vein to the Mick opener vs Plymouth from earlier in the week, there was the immediate sense of "we've got a team again here". Going from an absolute idiot as manager to someone normal is always such a massive relief. Of course you just shouldn't appoint idiots in the first place but this wasn't the first time we'd done it and it wouldn't be the last either.

I went to that one, was definitely a fresh start. Though I did think Lee Evans was going to be a super star based off that game. More fool me.

What on earth is that tackle for the penalty. I’d completely forgotten about that!

Evans did play well that day. Although you could still tell that he couldn't outrun current day Paul Cook, even then.

Kenny and myself sponsored Dom Iorfa that season so we went to the sponsors dinner at the end of the campaign. I remember shaking Kenny Jackett by the hand and saying thank you for giving us our club back, and he was genuinely chuffed.

Then I tried to get a selfie with KMac and he pointed out I was a bit of a dunce as I had the phone the wrong way round and was taking a photo of the windows of the WV1 restaurant. He was quite potty mouthed in informing me of my slight technological error!

23 years today since this one (no dedicated video yet so you'll have to deal with Mr Molin-yerrr on voiceover, it's the first game obviously so no need to scroll to a particular point):

Classic Wolves really. Spend big (albeit a fair bit of business still to come - Messrs Rae, Cameron, Blake and Miller wouldn't arrive for a few weeks yet) and make noises about making this the year. 2-0 down to mid-table dross after 20 minutes, although we did fight back well. It's the late Cedric Roussel's only goal at Molineux too. What a puzzling signing by Dave Jones, I felt very sorry for him.

Team: Oakes; Muscat, Butler, Lescott, Naylor; Newton, Robinson, Dinning, Kennedy; Roussel, Proudlock.

Subs: Bywater, Connelly, Pollet, Sinton, Branch.

29 years ago today:

This was Tony Daley's big comeback after missing all bar about 10 minutes of 1994/95, and if memory serves he absolutely ripped Gary Stevens to bits early on. False dawns and all that.

Look out for some atrocious Paul Jones keeping on their first goal (I think Stowell must have been injured, he came straight back in after this one anyway) and John Aldridge scoring his 8,129th goal against Wolves to level it up late on.

Team: Jones; Thompson, Richards, Shirtliff, Masters; Goodman, Emblen, Cowans, Daley; Bull, Kelly.

Unused subs: De Bont, Rankine, Thomas.

29 years ago today:

This was Tony Daley's big comeback after missing all bar about 10 minutes of 1994/95, and if memory serves he absolutely ripped Gary Stevens to bits early on. False dawns and all that.

Look out for some atrocious Paul Jones keeping on their first goal (I think Stowell must have been injured, he came straight back in after this one anyway) and John Aldridge scoring his 8,129th goal against Wolves to level it up late on.

Team: Jones; Thompson, Richards, Shirtliff, Masters; Goodman, Emblen, Cowans, Daley; Bull, Kelly.

Unused subs: De Bont, Rankine, Thomas.
That's a pretty attacking team with Bully, Goodman, Kelly and Daley.

Also is Neil Masters and Tony Daley the most injury-prone side of one pitch that any team has ever sent out :D

Nine years ago today. Spot the future World Cup winner...

Back