• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

And they moan about uncovered stands. They don't know they're born!

quaser-steve-bull.jpg

I remember the first time I came into the ground and looked towards the 'new' South Bank - I was amazed at how small it was/is compared to what I'd grown up with.

That article contradicts itself.

It says they were 3-0 up, and then says they weren't.

However it's crazy and brilliant that not only Wolves were involved in (one of) the greatest penalty shoot outs of all time, but that I was there.

That article contradicts itself.

It says they were 3-0 up, and then says they weren't.

However it's crazy and brilliant that not only Wolves were involved in (one of) the greatest penalty shoot outs of all time, but that I was there.
The sight of Waddle looking at his feet all the way from the centre circle to putting the ball on the spot to a crescendo of noise was truly fantastic after his comments before the replay. I’ve never been more certain a player would miss a penalty than then. He clearly just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. A truly memorable night. Oddly the best penalty of them all was Kevin Pressman’s - if we’d had three keepers it would still have gone in.

From what I recall at the time Waddle’s comments were accurate which were something along the lines of we are a top whatever side of the Premier league (I think they were doing well at the time)and we should putting championship teams away.
I went to both ties and they played us off the park in each of them.
A fabulous ending though and I have Waddle as much abuse as everyone else.

Wednesday were on their slow decline by 1994/95, they sacked Trevor Francis at the end of the season after finishing 13th (but only 3 points above Villa in 18th). Still a decent squad, but the gap between PL and Division One (as was) was nothing like it is now. We had numerous players who would have got in their team, whereas you look at Albion's line up against us this year, none of them would get anywhere near.

It's not necessarily inaccurate to say stuff like Waddle did but you still shouldn't do it, McGhee was constantly at it when he was in charge here, there's no possible upside.

Even though it was 4 years later the stigma around Waddle and his penalty miss in 90 was far greater than it is now against Rashford and Saka.

Interesting really, same with Southgate and Pearce, it seemed like a much bigger deal.

90 was the first shootout we'd had, 96 the second and third. Beyond that it's just become the norm. Batty and Ince never get brought up

Last edited:
Better no, different yes, worse no. Talking late 70s onwards there
Certainly no less enjoyable a spectacle in 1973 than today, for all the rough edges, and arguably more so (off-pitch violence aside). It might have been pie and chips as opposed to dinner at the Ivy, but at the end of the day you've had a bloody good blowout either way and you're going home with some money still in your wallet.

Certainly no less enjoyable a spectacle in 1973 than today, for all the rough edges, and arguably more so (off-pitch violence aside). It might have been pie and chips as opposed to dinner at the Ivy, but at the end of the day you've had a bloody good blowout either way and you're going home with some money still in your wallet.
Spot on.

It’s a totally different game now to that in the 70s.
Better no, different yes, worse no. Talking late 70s onwards there
For me it was more enjoyable. Yes there was a pyramid re the wealthy clubs but nowhere what it is today.

As a final aside, the Wolves scorer in that game was Danny Hegan - his goal was a beautiful deft lop in the thick mud. For me he’d rank in the top half-a-dozen Wolves players I’ve ever seen for sheer talent. Unfortunately booze and ill-discipline curtailed his career.

Back