• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are SOLD and Darlo finally has smooth thighs!

It smacks a bit of the new owners expecting Lopetigui to become the new Manager and the players he identified ready to bid for.
Taking the Spain job may have set the Manager situation back a bit, I guess we'll find out on Monday.

I originally thought the same Trev - but it can't be a coincidence that both were announced within an hour of each other. And there's nothing to suggest that the players we're talking to won't still be targets even though we're not getting Lopetegui.

I honestly think it will have been a coincidence, actually. I doubt the Spanish FA would appoint him or any other manager without an interview first, and I also don't understand quite why the takeover would've been delayed in being announced because they were waiting on him to choose. I think it's just two appointment processes running side-by-side - and there were reports from Marca in Spain last week that he'd changed his mind after a fresh approach from the Spanish FA, so I think the new owners have probably known for at least that long that they needed another candidate.

It was already posted somewhere that Lopetegui has said he had a potential deal agreed with Wolves but couldn't turn the Spain job down.

I honestly think it will have been a coincidence, actually. I doubt the Spanish FA would appoint him or any other manager without an interview first, and I also don't understand quite why the takeover would've been delayed in being announced because they were waiting on him to choose. I think it's just two appointment processes running side-by-side - and there were reports from Marca in Spain last week that he'd changed his mind after a fresh approach from the Spanish FA, so I think the new owners have probably known for at least that long that they needed another candidate.

Yeah I guess so - but similarly, if the Lopetegui link was Mendes-driven, it's more than likely that JL was just one of several coaches he identified. So maybe we've already got a shortlist of candidates?

I originally thought the same Trev - but it can't be a coincidence that both were announced within an hour of each other. And there's nothing to suggest that the players we're talking to won't still be targets even though we're not getting Lopetegui.

Maybe so but talk of Neville, AVB, Martinez etc seems a bit premature when there's probably as much likelihood of Jackett remains as any of those being recruited.
He's obviously not gonna walk even thouh pride must be dented by knowing Lopetequi was offered his job.

Maybe so but talk of Neville, AVB, Martinexit etc seems a bit premature when there's probably as much likelihood of Jackett remains as any of those being recruited.
He's obviously not gonna walk as his pride must be dented by knowing Lopetequipment was offered his job.

You using predictive text, perchance? :icon_lol:

Maybe so but talk of Neville, AVB, Martinez etc seems a bit premature when there's probably as much likelihood of Jackett remains as any of those being recruited.
He's obviously not gonna walk as his pride must be dented by knowing Lopetequipment was offered his job.

Lopetequipment? Is that something a Rabbi uses at a circumcision ;)

Yeah, I spend more time editing nowadays with this new phone I've got.

Yeah I guess so - but similarly, if the Lopetegui link was Mendes-driven, it's more than likely that JL was just one of several coaches he identified. So maybe we've already got a shortlist of candidates?

Wouldn't doubt it.

We're plugged into a European network of coaches now, too, which means the new manager really could come from anywhere.

Yeah, I spend more time editing nowadays with this new phone I've got.

f1ef0c034f0f547f601f000e9e8e291c.jpg

Bielsa quit to take the argentina job didn't he? or am I 2+2=5?

Wouldn't doubt it.

We're plugged into a European network of coaches now, too, which means the new manager really could come from anywhere.

Not only that, but we're plugged into a viable source of talented overseas players. Something our club has generally been criticised for/not had in the past.

What that means for Thelwell I'm unsure.

Not only that, but we're plugged into a viable source of talented overseas players. Something our club has generally been criticised for/not had in the past.

What that means for Thelwell I'm unsure.

The sack, seeing as he presumably thought £2m for Coady and £3m for Mason were good deals

The sack, seeing as he presumably thought £2m for Coady and £3m for Mason were good deals

Thelwell doesn't set or agree the prices so the value of the player is nothing to do with him. That said, he was doing ok with his targets, especially the U21 lads. Some of his signings were good, some a bit meh but the moment Morgan announced he was off, he lost the plot and getting Holt in was the beginning of it. We had 3 people, who were meant to work together go off and do their own thing.

Thelwell doesn't set or agree the prices so the value of the player is nothing to do with him.

Cant agree with that - the head of recruitment clearly has a feel for what budget we have - otherwise he'd rock up to recruitment meetings with a sheet of paper saying 'Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Pogba...'. He has to be aware of what a resonable price for players is in order to provide the manager with a list of players who are a) going to contribute to our current on-pitch goals and b) recruitable given our off-pitch finances

Now, if he thought the aforementioned players were available for cheaper prices, and therefore a better deal then he doesnt understand the market.

Cant agree with that - the head of recruitment clearly has a feel for what budget we have - otherwise he'd rock up to recruitment meetings with a sheet of paper saying 'Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Pogba...'. He has to be aware of what a resonable price for players is in order to provide the manager with a list of players who are a) going to contribute to our current on-pitch goals and b) recruitable given our off-pitch finances

Now, if he thought the aforementioned players were available for cheaper prices, and therefore a better deal then he doesnt understand the market.

I'd agree.

Jez might have been the one signing the cheques but surely Thelwell should've been at least giving him a steer on what he thought people were worth, then there needs to be some alignment with the manager too, on the face of it £3m for a first choice forward in this league isn't anything to scream about so if that's how Thelwell saw him fitting in then it's not too bad but considering how little he ended up being used it looks like Wolves massively overpaid for a squad option.

We were always going to get overcharged for a forward given the world knew we'd just sold our only proper option and had £10m in the bank. Coady is an unforgiveable waste of money, we already owned at least four central midfielders who are better than him.

Back