• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are SOLD and Darlo finally has smooth thighs!

Wolverhampton as a shopping destination is and likely always will be pinced by Merry Hill and the Bullring. Wolverhampton fall down in pandering to businesses who have no loyalty to Wolverhampton while smashing stall holders on the high street and markets. I'd say it's never a university city either comparing it to Lincoln. Across the wharf from the university in Lincoln is an entire parade of restaurants and a couple of bars which can be directly attributed to the growth of the UoL. On the contrary in Wolverhampton the UoW SU has been dead for years and Faces the biggest club in the town has shut and any high street names are going to Bentley Bridge which many students simply won't travel to.

I think Wolverhampton never really recovered from Summer Row collapsing, hopefully this development on the East(?) side will help as will the redevelopment of the railway station.

Faces was not faces before. It was Oceana. And if you judge Wolverhampton by that you are frankly looking in the wrong place.

Like you say, shopping is poor and that needs sorting if it wants to increase visits.

The new Mander Centre is looking very good already - things are on the up and improving. It's a shame about New Summer Row - typical of the city council where they faffed about instead of getting on and lost everything, but they seem to be learning their lesson with the Westside proposals.

Faces was not faces before. It was Oceana. And if you judge Wolverhampton by that you are frankly looking in the wrong place.

And before that it was Atlantis? I'm not sure the history of the building is salient? I was talking in terms of Wolverhampton being a university town and the fact the biggest nightclub couldn't survive in an apparent student heavy town then it can't be that student oriented?

Because students dont all go in cunt hole shite clubs? For instance, today I was in the Western pub and it was full of students celebrating the end of their academic year.

In terms of the City Centre Wolverhampton is shit.

There is nothing to draw anyone into town from neighbouring towns in terms of shopping. Nightlife was always a bit better than Walsall when I was younger but that was mainly down to the wider choice of alternative music from Lightbar, Blast Off, Canal Club and Planet but I think only one of those at best is still open and it's in a building that is as good as derelict! Oceana/Faces was generally the final stop for many nights out in Wolverhampton, think it was the only proper 'club' opposed to places like Yates that are just bars with late licenses really.

You don't have to go far outside the ring road before you find some nice places to live though, you soon come across some very nice rural looking areas but I can't ever see it being a destination that anyone would go out of their way to get to.

Because students dont all go in cunt hole shite clubs?

You're quite right and I know this first hand, before I left Wolverhampton I was a licensee at the London and a duty manager at the Civic and a general feeling among students was they didn't feel especially safe on nights out and the University (at least at the time) had started student stewarding roles and designated a 'safe route' back to halls. My point is that nightlife in Wolverhampton has been in decline for a while to a point that students couldn't even prop up businesses as they do in other towns and cities and we've seen Walkabout, Faces, Blast Off, Varsity, Light Bar and Revolution disappear. More would have gone however Stonegate Pub Company own the Royal, Hogs, Yates, George Wallace, the Goose and whatever 80's/90's club is on the corner of North Street this week. The retail aspect has taken a hit but so too have pubs and clubs.

Why the fuck are people debating how shit Wolverhampton is?

Apparently the city is so rubbish and we're such a nothing club that we should hand Fosun their money back and tell them to invest it in a more suitable team.

Can't moan about how shit Wolves are anymore can we? ;) I don't think it's any better or worse than other place fwiw. As in my original post I think it suffered greatly from losing Summer Row.

It might be straight back on the agenda but things can take a long time to come to fruition.

I imagine if it had still been Steve Morgan in charge then things could've possibly happened more quickly, architects who did the first stand may have already had first stage designs in place for the subsequent phases and they may have looked to negotiate the job directly with the same contractor who did the last phase but new owners might want to look at things differently to what was previously on the drawing board.
I would be surprised if Buckingham re-built the Steve Bull. There again football is full of surprises

I would be surprised if Buckingham re-built the Steve Bull. There again football is full of surprises

Were they not well received on the North Bank?

They seem to have carved out quite a niche for themselves in stadia upto a certain size, seems a bit odd given the size of the company, but they did Wolves, Brighton, Leicester Tigers, the ill fated stand at Northampton and think they won Brentford and Scunthorpe's new grounds too, though the delay on those could easily see those put out to tender again I suppose.

Ah so you think they'd potentially turn it down rather than not be asked, I imagine the ongoing situation with Northampton is probably making them a bit risk adverse at the moment too.

So is Jorge Mendes actually involved with Fosun?

Fosun own 5% of his company, so yes he is.

Woke up this morning to about 13/14 new pages on this thread. After some reading the conclusion is: ISNT THIS EXCITING?!

Oh, and if they were keeping Kenny on, it would have been mentioned in the club statement. He's definitely a goner. Hurrah!! :disco:

Fosun own 5% of his company, so yes he is.

That would seem to indicate to me that the players we were linked with when we thought Lopetegui was getting the job could still very much be in the works.

That would seem to indicate to me that the players we were linked with when we thought Lopetegui was getting the job could still very much be in the works.

Indeed. The only bit of information that was wrong in anything that was leaked so far was Robin Li being involved.

Back