• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

I don't dispute the need for flexibility. I've long since championed the Dutch method of developing young players.

I'm simply pointing out that asking 16/17/18 year olds to train at becoming sweepers and wingbacks in say, 2014, would have been totally redundant. The equivalent of me learning Esperanto now. I mean it might make an unexpected revival, but I doubt it.

jes, mi scias, kion vi volas diri

Maybe we should have them playing 2-3-5 as well? Just in case that comes back into fashion?

Back threes were totally dead five years ago and had been for absolutely ages. There was never any hint of them coming back.

I don't dispute the need for flexibility. I've long since championed the Dutch method of developing young players.

I'm simply pointing out that asking 16/17/18 year olds to train at becoming sweepers and wingbacks in say, 2014, would have been totally redundant. The equivalent of me learning Esperanto now. I mean it might make an unexpected revival, but I doubt it.

You're twisting my words.

I'm not saying that they should be taught any one formation or system above any other, not in their formative years at least, having a bunch of kids who can only play 442, 343, 235 or whatever other combination is bad, regardless of the combination, what they need is variety so they are put in different situations, experience different problems and so learn different solutions, it'll make them all much more rounded players. What harm is there going to be in some 12-13 year old lad playing different formations throughout the season? He doesn't need that level of tactical discipline at that stage, he's still learning the game and throwing them into all these different situations, even playing different positions, is going to give them a better understanding of all the different situations and problems they might face through a game, only when they reach the later stages of their development do they need their education to become more focused into the areas which they may be able to excel, and only then when getting close to the first team do they really need to match that way of playing exactly.

Maybe we should have them playing 2-3-5 as well? Just in case that comes back into fashion?

Back threes were totally dead five years ago and had been for absolutely ages. There was never any hint of them coming back.
Man City's formation can look like a 2-3-5 at times.

I get what Mark is saying though. If we develop players from 7 year olds (often actually younger) it should be to make them able to cope with different systems and ways of playing. These players should be flexible, good decision makers, creative! If we have developed a group that can't cope with a change to 1-3-4-3 then we aren't developing them as well as we can

however, I don't think that is the case. We have a very highly rated academy. Gibbs-White is a good example, he can play in multiple positions all too a good standard. He is a very modern footballer. It is going to be a high standard in the years to come for young players to break through but there are some in younger age groups currently below u16 I am hearing good things about.

Not sure it's about formations , when I coached I played 4-4-2, our main rival for the trophies also played 4-4-2, we played a totally different style.

There defenders were coached to launch it long.
My defenders were coached to take the ball down and pass it, I used to get the players to play keep ball 2 touch where 10 consecutive passes = a goal.

I would hop our coaches no matter what they were playing would be looking at improving players ability on the ball. Far too long in England we have looked at Centre half's who could do what Danny Batth does only better (see John Terry).

I want to see our defenders looking like Coady, Boly, Stones, Maguire, Gomez where they take the ball down and can pass the ball around comfortably, hopefully that's what Nuno is extolling rather than a rigid we must play this formation

Jon Flatt has confirmed he is leaving, not a huge surprise. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up, Kiddy fans didn't think much of him.

Jon Flatt has confirmed he is leaving, not a huge surprise. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up, Kiddy fans didn't think much of him.

but Cheltenham fans like him. His loan to Kiddy was a mad one, he basically rocked up and played with zero training with the squad and then seemed to do most of his training back at Compton.

He should get a L2 or Conference team with no problem. Maybe even Conference North/South now a lot of teams are going pro at that level

He's hung on here too long really. He's now coming up to 24 and he hasn't played nearly enough football.

He's hung on here too long really. He's now coming up to 24 and he hasn't played nearly enough football.

A lot of our players have though. A hangover from the previous regime where they liked to look after own and the fear of losing 1 that turns about to be a star. I don't think now that Fosun have got settled the 2nd part of that will be a worry for them.

U23's taking on Shanghai SIPG U21s at Molineux at 12pm

DcGfx2MXUAEoH6F.jpg

I've seen quite a few players saying they have left Wolves on Twitter - have wolves released a list anywhere?

No official list yet. That will be announced next week I would guess

I've seen quite a few players saying they have left Wolves on Twitter - have wolves released a list anywhere?

I've noticed this too. A lot of them seem to be from the younger age groups (certainly not names I am familiar with, anyway).

There will be a list after Sunday I imagine. Lots of u18s who will have already been told so they can find clubs.

Do we know anything about the trialist from the SIPG match?

Back