• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 v 1 Brentford: The Verdict Thread

I thought that was a proper performance, we stopped for a while at 2-0 which let them back into it but we deserved to win. Only thing lacking in the first half was the quality in the final ball and that was soon rectified in the second half. We played some lovely stuff at times and it looks really promising for me.

Have to agree with everyone on the referee he was dreadful, Teix looked to have been fouled, Doherty definitely handled it and the tackle on Bod just before Saiss got booked was a straight red with studs up right over the ball. He missed so much more mainly for us and where the officials keep getting 6 minutes from beats me. Some of the tackles or challenges on our players at times are shocking and refs don't protect our players. On to the players:

Ikeme - Did everything well apart from his effort to save their goal which in all fairness was piss poor. If he stands up he catches it but did claim a few crosses well at the end and made a good save from Hogan early on.

Doherty - Mixed bag really, did a couple of things well but then should have given away a penalty, should have played Bod clean through in the first half but didn't pass.

Batth - I've criticised him a lot in the past but he was quality today, looked a proper centre back and a leader.

Iorfa - Like Batth he was quality today and always there to cover if needed. Could have gone forward better a couple of times but his main job is defending and he did that well.

CBJ - It wasn't a great performance, he's so chilled and that makes it look a lot worse when he doesn't do something right. Young though and will make errors but has obvious quality.

Saiss - He's class and that pretty much sums it up. He's got everything you want from a defensive midfielder. Picks out some lovely passes and always covers when he's needed. Doesn't think about it, just slots in. Booked for a crunching challenge after Bod was taken out and the ref played on. No idea how anyone can't see that he's class.

Prince - All action display, another that i thought had a good game. Gets around the pitch well and gives us a bit of everything.

Edwards - He was excellent defensively, closed down as usual but did it at the right time and forced mistakes or made tackles. Never going to be fantastic no the ball but worth a shirt if he plays like this.

Costa- Always a threat with his pace and always makes us dangerous. Excellent tackle and run for the first goal.

Teixeira - He was class today until he tired. He just oozed class and should have had a penalty for me. So calm for the first and top delivery for the second, reminded me of Ozil a bit.

Bodvarsson - Absolute legend. Runs and runs and runs a bit more and gives us so much even when he doesn't score. He holds the ball up, combines well, flicks it on and then can create for himself and others.

SUBS

Cavaleiro - Gave us another threat going forward although nothing really came off. Calm finish at the end to seal game and never looked like missing.

Mason - Worked hard and had one chance but didn't have a lot apart from that.

Coady - Came on to give us some legs at the end.

I think we really do have a team that can get us promoted here especially with players like Dicko and Graham still to come back. We seem to have a spine now that can compete with any team and then have players like Costa, Teix and Cavaleiro that can create and score.

On the 6 mins about 2 or 3 of that was for the injury to the Brentford player. Took around 3 mins to get him stretchered off. No issues with that added time.

Everything else the ref did was woeful. Brentford fans will certainly be blaming him tonight.

One thing to factor in for the 2nd part of the 2nd half was the wind. It got very blowwy out there and we struggled with it for a bit. Ikeme's kicks were coming back down the pitch.

Bear's Saiss score is absolute fucking nonsense. 7 or 8 minimum. Also he has been harsh to CBJ.

As CBJ is probably our only loanee with a future at his parent club, one wonders what his motivation levels are at the moment. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

His motivation is that he spends all day with this squad and will be desperate to do well, like 99% of people would given the situation.

CBJ was the worst Wolves player today. Got lucky in the first half when he tried to guide the ball out for a goal kick (strangely had a go at the assistant ref after it) and in general seemed to be drifting through the game. Could have conceded a penalty in the 2nd half as well. Certainly clipped the heels of the Brentford player in the area.

Saiss on the other hand...one of the best.

His motivation is that he spends all day with this squad and will be desperate to do well, like 99% of people would given the situation.

99%, really? Wolves alone have had more than a few loanees who didn't give a fuck about doing well.

CBJ has bags of potential and is at the very early stages of his career. His motivation is that if he doesn't perform at Wolves then his standing at Man U will fall and he may never achieve his potential.

Anyway it was an immature performance in places but he will be a good player if he applies himself.

Agreed. I'm not saying that he is clearly unmotivated already, merely that at his age and with Manchester United waiting for him in the future, it's definitely possible that he'd think himself "above" our goals.

Well, our first visit of the season and have to say I'm chuffed, very positive performance. First thing I noticed was the energy from the whole team, the first half we pressed them all over the park, even Tex and Costa put them under pressure, think the reason we ere under the cosh second half was Saiss and Prince were just knackered. Bod is an absolute hero, defenders must hate playing against him, never get a seconds peace, reminds me of Bully in many ways. Thought we controlled the first half after the first 10 minutes...an absolute stonewall penalty on Tex, said to my boys after 25 minutes thats the most exciting football I've seen from a Wolves side in ages, Tex and Costa are a real bag of tricks, yes its not always gunna work out but they got me outta my seat more often than the whole of the half dozen games I saw last season. I think the midfield 3 look spot on in this system and even the much maligned Edwards looks to be comfy playing there. Saiss looked well controlled in front of the back 4, in the first half anyway, tired a bit at the end.CBJ was our most diappointing player, got a good look at him second half from the North Bank and he was quite poor, caught out of position a lot, poor distribution, didn't get forward much and tbh didn't really look interested, hopefully just a one off poor game.
We were in a good position for their goal, it was point blank, hit hard and accurate so a bit harsh on Ikeme, he did get a hand on it but couldn't keep it out, should he have saved it? maybe, the rest of the game he played well, one excellent save early on and commanded his box well when we were under pressure.
So overall happy with the performance, still work to do and although Baath and Iorfa put in some great blocks/tackles, we still look panicy when under pressure.
Our day started well when ordering our prematch burger, a guy said "put your wallet away, I'll get them", turned out to be the community liason/health safety officer, which was nice, I know its his job and its on expenses but still makes you feel good. Burger guy said he spent 200 quid there at the last home match.

Anyway it was an immature performance in places but he will be a good player if he applies himself.

Without a doubt on that. He will have days like today, all part of the learning process

Without a doubt on that. He will have days like today, all part of the learning process

Indeed the lad's 19, not many players look polished at 19, Gareth Bale, John Terry or Teddy Sheringham certainly didn't and they didn't turn out too bad.

Bale was definitely a much shitter left back at 19 than CBJ is.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bale was definitely a much $#@!ter left back at 19 than CBJ is.

Bit moot since he never plays there anymore.

Bit moot since he never plays there anymore.
It was the position he played when he got his big money move to Spurs and they wasted a good few years waiting for him to come good there. Wasn't there even a point when they were going to bin him off because he wasn't cutting it?

He was absolutely garbage as a fullback.

Birmingham tried to sign him from Spurs while he was playing at left back.

It was the position he played when he got his big money move to Spurs and they wasted a good few years waiting for him to come good there. Wasn't there even a point when they were going to bin him off because he wasn't cutting it?

Iirc he was considered a jinx! It was about 10 games he started before spurs won with him in the side

It was 25 games in the league

Just watched the highlights of the game. Tex's first goal was class, much harder for him to score than I thought. He has lovely feet.

He wasn't garbage at full back at all. He was very good for a free flowing Southampton side, hence his big money move at the time. The bellend that is floppy chops Redknapp then proceeded to ruin him at LB and got very lucky when sticking him at LM one game because he 'had no players'.

Much like Kievin Philips, Bale turned out to be a bit better in his new position.

Back