• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 v 1 Brentford: The Verdict Thread

Really pleased to hear we had followed up the good win at Newcastle with a home win. I saw some promising things then in terms of Costa and Saiss that day, along with our midfield and defence starting to get a solid shape and it sounds like this carried on yesterday.

It's not usually worth looking at the league table until around 15 games in I think but saw the table this morning by chance and it's interesting to note that at the moment we have played 9 games and by my reckoning we have played 6 games against teams in the top 9, where we currently sit. We have 2 losses against the in form Yorkshire sides at the time we played them, but that aside we have all our wins against teams in the top part of the league, Reading, Newcastle, Brentford, and Birmingham.

Our performances against sides below have produced draws so far, so this may highlight an area where we need to improve and Wigan on Tuesday presents an opportunity. If we can start to find ways of beating the teams we expect to beat then we are definitely contenders this season.

Ikeme should do a bit better with the goal. Soft wrists and falling early . Doherty showed stronger wrists but that didnt get spotted fortunately! Slightly flattering result? Maybe but good goals and good intent against a side on the up. Very short highlights on 5. Oh , and while on about the highlights show and wtf is Forests Henry Lansbury doing with that awful haircut? Knob lansbury.jpg

Having seen the highlights, I suppose we were a little fortunate not to concede what I thought was a clear penalty. But we took our goals well, rode our luck at times and have another three points in the bag.

Good game! Great win! Saiss the big difference helping Danny to be superb.
the youngster CBJ had a mare but he'll bounce back. Tex and Costa are the nuts but
will someone please tell them we will be happy with playing it simpler till we're in front
then express yourselves. The intent is there to see, what a difference to last years sh!4e
usual ref moans but worse. Lino missed when the ball went out by almost a yard.

Onwards and upwards come on you Wolves

can't ask for much more than back to back wins against two in form sides. hopefully the start of a decent run.

99%, really? Wolves alone have had more than a few loanees who didn't give a fuck about doing well.

I meant players in his situation, i.e long term loan for a younger player, he will very much feel part of the squad hopefully.

Having seen the game highlights a couple of times now, does Joao Teixeria remind anyone else of Georgi Kinkladze at times? It's the slow jinky tricky way that he moves the ball around.

Extended highlights from Brentford's channel.

Including Tex's run/pen shout, their two penalty shouts and the soft free kick which led to our 2nd goal:

Thanks Bear, far more in those highlights than what i can get on the wolves You Tube.

That's a decent highlights package, ours is pretty poor when you compare it. Few of things from that, it's definitely a foul on Teixeira whether he means it or not as he stops him hitting the ball and Doherty definitely handles it, no idea how the referee gave a goal kick. Free kick for our second goal could have gone either way but it looks like Woods has Costa's arm from the referee's position.

Defending for their goal was terrible, firstly Batth goes underneath the ball and then we are all over the place especially Doherty who closes down when he didn't need to and leaves Kaikai free. Still feel Ikeme attempt at saving it is piss poor though.

Bod in the build up to the free kick for the 2nd goal...

3491991-2377312655-huge-.gif

The most hilarious thing about that referee was that he booked Harlee (shit name) Dean for complaining about the most blatant hand ball ever but let him get away with GBH on Bodvarsson at least twice.

You do get 10 mins of highlights on the Wolves World section. Though they still missed off both their penalty shouts and the build up to Tex's free kick. Now that's poor when you're actually paying for it.

Those Brentford highlights are really good, thought the commentators were pretty objective too.
The "handball" was right in front of us although I managed to miss it, my lad thought Doc went up with his hand but missed it, hard to tell from the highlights I've seen. Their other shout was again right in front of us and although I've seen them given, it would have been harsh, more an untidy tangle between the 2 players rather than a foul for me.

Extended highlights from Brentford's channel.

Including Tex's run/pen shout, their two penalty shouts and the soft free kick which led to our 2nd

Shades of Murray Walker when the commentator got excited?

What a great result. Delighted for Tex after so many people were running out of patience with him and Bod is a fucking collosus.

A bit annoying how much better Brentford's highlights are than ours!

Two stonewall penalties missed and I don't think the free kick that led to our 2nd was a foul.

I think one of the things that's pleased me most is that it was the same line up as past weekend. It's great having a big squad but having a settled line up of players who deserve the shirt is better than rotation for rotation's sake. Hopefully Walter can know see what he's got to work with and has a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

The last 2 league results make up for the horror show v Barnsley and fair play to players and coaching staff for the recovery.

Time to get a good run together now.

Those Brentford highlights are really good, thought the commentators were pretty objective too.
The "handball" was right in front of us although I managed to miss it, my lad thought Doc went up with his hand but missed it, hard to tell from the highlights I've seen. Their other shout was again right in front of us and although I've seen them given, it would have been harsh, more an untidy tangle between the 2 players rather than a foul for me.

It was an absolutely blatant handball I am afraid. Doc certainly didn't miss it.

I was very interested to see Tex and Costa live, they seemed to be getting a bit of stick for being lightweight and going down too easily, from what I saw yesterday, that was rubbish, yes Tex does go down a bit but tbf most times yesterday he went down, it was a foul, lets face it they are both pretty small and with their pace and quick feet, they are gunna draw a lot of fouls. What surprised me most was their workrate without the ball, both worked their arses off along with Bod and the midfield 3, it was no wonder they were knackered after about 50-60 minutes which coincided with us coming under most pressure.

Back