• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 Barnsley 1 - Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

that pass maps says a lot, compared to previous ones. We have always looked solid, balanced and in position before - this one looks very lop sided, almost like Cav was told to play centrally, but so was Leo

Just saw the Bright goal, to me it looks as though he meant that finish and if he did it really was sublime.

I thought both Neves and Saiss were poor, too many attempted intricate passes too deep in our own half. I'd say N'Diaye is a certainly to start on Wednesday he drives forward in a way the other two don't and one of the centre halves should be able to push up to cover him if he leaves a gap in behind.

Agree. For long periods of the game (and against Forest) we passed the ball along our lines which makes it a bit predictable, we are a threat when we run at or through the opposition. Barnsley followed Neves around the pitch which negated him somewhat and I am still to be convinced that Saiss offers enough consistency. N’Diaye seems to offer something that would complement either Saiss or Neves.

Just saw the Bright goal, to me it looks as though he meant that finish and if he did it really was sublime.

The kid has real talent, that has been evident for a while, and he is 19. The criticism of him in some quarters is bizarre. He’s played just over 30 games at first team level, most from the bench, and in the company of Jota, Caveleiro, Costa he doesn’t look out of place. Imagine how good he would look alongside a forward line of Le Fondre, Clarke, Van La Parra....

Coady’s reaction was notable yesterday, after Bright scored he made a very deliberate effort to go to Bright after he had finished celebrating with the rest of the team

Coady did the same on Tuesday too TSB. Also noticed him talking to him in the JP documentary. Great to see.

'Reminiscent of Kevin Doyle in so many ways' Speirs on Bonatini. Is he taking the piss?

The pass map is a bit of a mess compared to previous weeks, lacks the balance that's been evident recently and yelling that neither Jota or Cavaleiro managed to get beyond Bonatini consistently.

'Reminiscent of Kevin Doyle in so many ways' Speirs on Bonatini. Is he taking the piss?

Some have short memories. Kevin Doyle was brilliant for us for a couple of years doing pretty much the same role as Bonatini except at a higher level against better opposition in a team with less ability than our current one.

Even though we played poorly we still created a number of quality chances that we should have scored from.

I do think we need someone else who can play RWB, doc is starting to look a bit knackered

The pass map is a bit of a mess compared to previous weeks, lacks the balance that's been evident recently and yelling that neither Jota or Cavaleiro managed to get beyond Bonatini consistently.

If you look at their pass map, Potts and Moncur are high up the pitch whereas Neves & Saiss are a lot deeper.

Yesterday was the first time I've watched Wolves this season and thought that the 3rd centre back was a wasted man. If we'd put Alfie on for one of the CB's and matched up with their 4-2-3-1 we would've pegged them back in their own half IMO.

Some have short memories. Kevin Doyle was brilliant for us for a couple of years doing pretty much the same role as Bonatini except at a higher level against better opposition in a team with less ability than our current one.

What I meant was that they're completely different players. Even when Doyle was good he was nothing like Bonatini. It's not 'pretty much the same role' at all.

Doyle's role was nothing like what Bonatini does now! He never had runners anywhere near him to even attempt that sort of player in his good year, I struggle to give him much credit after that first season of toil. His role was much more like what Dicko did under Jackett, ploughing a lone furrow chasing lost causes into channels. Doyle's sort comings were continually shown up as the team around him progressed and left him behind, in Wolves later PL period he struggled to link up with anyone around him to any great effect.

If you look at their pass map, Potts and Moncur are high up the pitch whereas Neves & Saiss are a lot deeper.

Yesterday was the first time I've watched Wolves this season and thought that the 3rd centre back was a wasted man. If we'd put Alfie on for one of the CB's and matched up with their 4-2-3-1 we would've pegged them back in their own half IMO.

I've often though this, to really take advantage of the way we play the full backs have to play higher up the pitch. The left side is ok but the right side relies on doc, who is good but not at Douglas' level.

I do think, with the quality we have, 4231 is the better choice. 343 makes us better defensively though

Totally thinking the same, not always but for some home games we really should be doing this I feel. Easy way to adapt but perhaps I wouldn't want to drop Coady just yet either to make this happen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I've often though this, to really take advantage of the way we play the full backs have to play higher up the pitch. The left side is ok but the right side relies on doc, who is good but not at Douglas' level.

I do think, with the quality we have, 4231 is the better choice. 343 makes us better defensively though

You do look at the players and think 4231 looks such a natural fit don't you? Costa - Bright - Jota behind Bonatini. And 343 hasn't made us outstanding defensively. Better, but plenty of teams have conceded less

I think the shape is incredibly solid. You can really see why we are using it in my opinion! We've conceded some slightly unfortunate goals and some from set pieces but I have never felt like the opposition are cutting through us with their attacks.

You do look at the players and think 4231 looks such a natural fit don't you? Costa - Bright - Jota behind Bonatini. And 343 hasn't made us outstanding defensively. Better, but plenty of teams have conceded less

If you take away the number of set piece goals the number is very low. Nothing to do with the shape, just rubbish set piece defending.

Defensively we are better, I think we would be better going forward if we stopped those shitty misplaced 5-10 yard passes.

For now though I'm still in the 4231 camp, I just don't see many teams being able to cope with our firepower. 343 doesn't allow us to exploit it so much as we sacrifice an attacker

I think the shape is incredibly solid. You can really see why we are using it in my opinion! We've conceded some slightly unfortunate goals and some from set pieces but I have never felt like the opposition are cutting through us with their attacks.

Agreed. Like against Forest, although the opposition had a lot of the ball they never hurt us and we defended excellently as a unit. I Just thought we were getting a bit overwhelmed in the middle yesterday and in possession we weren't switching the ball as fast as we usually do, kinda defeats the purpose of the system if you're not going to use the free man on the opposite side.

Joe Williams had an easy ride yesterday, I thought if we had a 10 in front of Neves & Saiss then we'd have limited his influence on the game and pushed the whole team further forward. It would've been worth sacrificing that extra defensive solidity IMO.

From open play we have been really solid apart from the Cardiff game. We almost always have an extra man if someone is beaten and the back 3 are actively part of a team trying to play football rather than the traditional stoppers you used to get. I didn't see the game yesterday but I feel the football does worsen with Batth in the side as he is one of those more traditional blood and guts stoppers, when Boly returns it will help as not only is he a far superior footballer he carries the ball beautifully.

We have been spoiled this season so far but the expectations are rightfully higher given the calibre of players we have brought in.

The good teams get points when they aren't at their best I have seen a few of those already this season and presume this is in the same bracket.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back