• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Man City: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

A very good point considering where we are. Let's hope it's a kick-start for a decent run as the win against these was last season. Positive signs in attitude and defensively compared to the last couple of games in any case. We need to keep playing like this though through to Christmas.

I think we set up as well as we could today. Maybe getting sucked in too deep at times which helped their goal. But can't have any complaints with the formation or the subs. Maybe 5 at the back freed Semedo up a bit more and it was a great assist for the goal.

More yellow cards for the usual suspects doesn't help things though. And I think Semedo is already one booking away from a suspension.

Oh and Sa needs to keep his place. Much better all round game than Johnstone from what I've seen so far.

Edit - Fuck off. Another set-piece FFS.

Last edited:
We didn’t play that badly. But one goal was never going to be enough.

One point from 8. Wonder how many teams have survived that

i think they are trolling us now tbh. they say when the ref goes to the screen its only one outcome..........except when its us obviously. feel really sorry for the people in the ground to be given that hope and to have it snatched away from them. fuck off!

First up, that's probably as well as we can do in the current situation. It's not a sustainable way of playing. I don't think you can set up that way at Brighton next week, let alone Palace and Southampton at home. But for today - it was alright. They didn't have many clear chances at all and Haaland was as good as invisible.

Sa proved a point - I doubted his mentality after the League Cup shocker vs Brighton but he was right on it today. That's his shirt now, surely. The centre halves all played well. It's a lovely goal from us and had we gone 2-0 (Semedo has to score that)...who knows.

But we didn't retain the ball well at all, that's a disgracefully poor cameo from Guedes who shouldn't be getting any minutes, and we showed precious little idea of how to offer any kind of threat in the second half.

The refereeing is something else. Absolutely appalling. The winner...I can see the case either way. But we were told last season with the Kilman/Chirewa incident vs West Ham that there's no grey area, if he's offside in that situation then he's offside and there's no call to be made. How the FUCK is that any different? It's shocking officiating, Attwell hasn't got the balls to make a decision, the little cunt, and while I hate stupid conspiracy theories, I suspect if that's Brentford or Everton "scoring" against us...it doesn't get given.

A kick in the teeth. The effort was there, the spirit is still in the camp which is good, but we've come away with nothing. Again.

A very good point considering where we are. Let's hope it's a kick-start for a decent run as the win against these was last season. Positive signs in attitude and defensively compared to the last couple of games in any case. We need to keep playing like this though through to Christmas.

I think we set up as well as we could today. Maybe getting sucked in too deep at times which helped their goal. But can't have any complaints with the formation or the subs. Maybe 5 at the back freed Semedo up a bit more and it was a great assist for the goal.

More yellow cards for the usual suspects doesn't help things though. And I think Semedo is already one booking away from a suspension.

Oh and Sa needs to keep his place. Much better all round game than Johnstone from what I've seen so far.

And the ref ignores VAR. Not interfering for me but why send him to the screen?
He did interfere as he pushed the Jose Sa just as the ball came in. It’s typical biased refereeing for the big clubs. Guedes gets fouled and thennothing given, City fall over and it’s always a foul.
The ref was disgraceful constantly falling for the City players over reaction to a strong challenge, maybe he should referee the U12s instead.

And the ref ignores VAR. Not interfering for me but why send him to the screen?
He backed into the keeper, stopping him coming for the ball, how the fuck is he not interfeering

Didn't actually play that badly. Way too open but they are an excellent team. Was worried about Sa but he played far better than Johnstone ever could there. Thought Dawson was pretty good and we kept Haaland so quiet.

I don't think the goal is offside to be honest. Ref has seen it twice too, it's not on VAR which is irrelevant to this. That is the referee's decision.

Plucky defeats aren't points. Need to change coach but this performance was alright. Manner of it is a bit annoying is all.

Backs against the wall job almost came off but for a hotly disputed goal. Silva backing into Sa had been going on all game but can't really say it had much effect on the winning goal as Sa was never coming out to collect it. Just shite defending to allow the pressure on our box to continue and again from the resultant corner.

Better result than we all expected only losing 2-1. Tactically, think we were fine. Lack of discipline from certain players such as Ait-Nouri is concerning still and who knows if we go 2-0 ahead. Disappointing in the end and just one of those 50:50 VAR decisions that usually goes against us costs us a point.

Hopefully the team can take heart from keeping City at bay for so long but much work still to be done.

I actually thought we were pretty poor on the ball tbh. When we had the ball we gave it away cheaply more often that not. Im going to assume that Guedes wasn't fouled near the end....just shit...as usual.

Didn't actually play that badly. Way too open but they are an excellent team. Was worried about Sa but he played far better than Johnstone ever could there. Thought Dawson was pretty good and we kept Haaland so quiet.

I don't think the goal is offside to be honest. Ref has seen it twice too, it's not on VAR which is irrelevant to this. That is the referee's decision.

Plucky defeats aren't points. Need to change coach but this performance was alright. Manner of it is a bit annoying is all.
So being in an Offside Position and actually making contact with the keeper is not offside

Teams that go down make silly mistakes, don't convert chances and have a number of hard luck stories. We tick every box.

Second half defensive discipline was much better than the first. Also kept the ball better which is going to be crucial when we play those November and December games. Not sure if that was because of Doyle, but it coincided with him coming on. GON needs to make his call on which of his midfield 3 he's not playing. Shi and Hobbs will be seething if that's Andre.

I wouldn't have disallowed the winner, but showing the offside without the prior context sums VAR up. Not disallowing it when going to the monitor adds to my we're going down narrative.

Good all round performance given our current form and the opposition. Stuck to the plan well. Plenty of effort and playing for the manager. Cruel not to get a point in that way. Sa, Bueno, Dawson excellent today. Thought we should have had a foul when Guedes was brought down but haven't seen a replay.

Back