• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Man City: Verdict Thread

*As every side will now be attacking us as we're the underdog in every bloody game now, a low block and counter attacking suits us more.
They won't. Palace will try and play us on the counter like they always do. If we set up like we did yesterday against them it would have 0-0 or a defensive error 1 goal defeat either way written all over it. The crowd would also be going mad at the team from about 10 minutes in.

Yesterday was maybe a blueprint for how to play City, Liverpool or Arsenal if you want to protect the goal difference, it wasn't for how to play for the rest of the season. Irrespective of 3,4,5 or as was the case for a lot of the game 10 at the back.

They won't. Palace will try and play us on the counter like they always do. If we set up like we did yesterday against them it would have 0-0 or a defensive error 1 goal defeat either way written all over it. The crowd would also be going mad at the team from about 10 minutes in.

Yesterday was maybe a blueprint for how to play City, Liverpool or Arsenal if you want to protect the goal difference, it wasn't for how to play for the rest of the season. Irrespective of 3,4,5 or as was the case for a lot of the game 10 at the back.
Its not as simplistic as that though is it, we should have started the season like we set up yesterday and built from there, instead we tried to play possession based football with 4 at the back against some really good sides and we've lost all confidence.

The formation can be more attacking, and will be against Palace, but we won't be as vulnerable for the reasons I've previously stated when Palace attack.

Yesterday was maybe a blueprint for how to play City, Liverpool or Arsenal if you want to protect the goal difference, it wasn't for how to play for the rest of the season. Irrespective of 3,4,5 or was was the case for a lot of the game 10 at the back.

Exactly this. In some ways it's actually easier against a team against City. There's no decision to make, they're going to have long periods of control so you just have to defend well, hang in there and try to find ways to counter. We did all those things fairly well yesterday IMO which was why the ending was so hard to take and the players were deservedly applauded off the pitch but yesterday's performance will have very little impact on how we approach the games coming up against Brighton, Palace & Southampton.

Why is it shite?

And as I keep saying, it can be more than one thing!?

With or without GON with this squad we improve our chances of gaining points playing 3 at the back.

*We have more aerial ability
*RAN and Semedo who are excellent ball carriers have more freedom/are covered when they get forward, evidence yesterday
*It suits Cunha better
*As every side will now be attacking us as we're the underdog in every bloody game now, a low block and counter attacking suits us more.
We have the players to play a Xabi Alonso style 3-4-3.

We also have the players to play a Klopp style 4-3-3

It isn't the formation it's the moron in the dugout.

Wanging on about aerial duals is just silly. The rest is just your opinion and employing Dyche tactics won't work with these players, they're much better than you are giving them credit for.

A proper manager/ head coach sorts us out easily as the quality is there.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I love it when people go so far up their own arseholes they think they speak for the people with confidence.

Albeit from a position of complete footballing ignorance.

The same schtick Brexiteers and the Fagash Fuhrer use.

This is out of order. Pack it in.

I say this so often, I'm getting tired of repeating it: Please stick each other on ignore because you refuse to debate properly.

This is out of order. Pack it in.

I say this so often, I'm getting tired of repeating it: Please stick each other on ignore because you refuse to debate properly.
What a load of bollocks. Look above your post.

I notice you only pipe up when I post.

What a load of bollocks. Look above your post.

I notice you only pipe up when I post.

You'll notice the words EACH OTHER? You're both to blame, you both are very quick to snipe at one another and yet neither of you have put the other on ignore?

Why?

It's a very useful tool that's there for a reason. Please use it and stop subjecting other posters on this forum to yet another tedious argument.

We have the players to play a Xabi Alonso style 3-4-3.

We also have the players to play a Klopp style 4-3-3

It isn't the formation it's the moron in the dugout.

Wanging on about aerial duals is just silly. The rest is just your opinion and employing Dyche tactics won't work with these players, they're much better than you are giving them credit for.

A proper manager/ head coach sorts us out easily as the quality is there.
Dyche tactics :rolleyes:

When we have conceded a shit tonne of headed goals headed duEls are important.

We haven't got a "proper" manager/coach though have we, and it doesn’t look like he is going anywhere, any time soon we need to adapt to give us the best chance of winning points.

Don't we?

Its not as simplistic as that though is it, we should have started the season like we set up yesterday and built from there, instead we tried to play possession based football with 4 at the back against some really good sides and we've lost all confidence.

The formation can be more attacking, and will be against Palace, but we won't be as vulnerable for the reasons I've previously stated when Palace attack.
It was the full backs being too high up the pitch, it was the central midfielders vacating spaces leaving large gaps in behind, it was the centre halves being asked to push onto the half way line in possession when the rest of the side were incapable of keeping the ball leaving them exposed, it was the running around like blue arsed flies meaning they were knackered after an hour, it was the bizarre, often pre planned, substitutions, it was the failure to react to opposition tactical changes.

It was not how many centre halves there were on the pitch. That's why people say it wasn't about the formation, it was the manager's inability to coach the team like a professional should be able to do. He has this purist view of how that should be played, which any mid table side is going to fail to achieve, because the players aren't at that level with their ball retention and the opposition aren't going to play with an ultra block like we did yesterday to enable us to keep it.

You also incorrectly assert that I'm against playing a back 5, I'm not I would have done from Liverpool onwards, because the manager is incapable of setting us up any differently and look vaguely competent. That's all on him. Put a PL class manager in charge of this team and 4 at the back wouldn't be an issue with Bueno and Dawson as your 2 as he'd accommodate that lack of mobility with the way we are set up structurally.

Dyche tactics :rolleyes:

When we have conceded a shit tonne of headed goals headed duEls are important.

We haven't got a "proper" manager/coach though have we, and it doesn’t look like he is going anywhere, any time soon we need to adapt to give us the best chance of winning points.

Don't we?
The headed goals were nothing to do with this silly duels statistic hill you've chosen to die on. They were by and large set pieces.

Without a proper coach/ manager we go down and don't have a chance of winning points.

You also incorrectly assert that I'm against playing a back 5, I'm not I would have done from Liverpool onwards, because the manager is incapable of setting us up any differently and look vaguely competent. That's all on him. Put a PL class manager in charge of this team and 4 at the back wouldn't be an issue with Bueno and Dawson as your 2 as he'd accommodate that lack of mobility with the way we are set up structurally.
Well there we go.

I agree with all of this. 🤝

Why is it shite?

And as I keep saying, it can be more than one thing!?

With or without GON with this squad we improve our chances of gaining points playing 3 at the back.

*We have more aerial ability
*RAN and Semedo who are excellent ball carriers have more freedom/are covered when they get forward, evidence yesterday
*It suits Cunha better
I’ll take the first two points but Cunha was one our worst performers yesterday and just because we’re underdogs doesn’t mean other teams will attack more.

No. this is wrong. This circular bullshit comes from one poster and it isn't fucking johnny. Sick to death of the moderation on here lately
There are plenty of people who engage in circular arguments on here. It's not just limited to one poster or one side of any particular view.

Back