• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Wednesday verdict thread

I cant agree with this:

6 of yesterdays team inc Dicko have been playing together since 13/14

8* of yesterdays team inc Dicko have been playing together since 14/15

8* of yesterdays team played together last season.

**I excluded Saville from 14/15 as he barely featured and Dicko from last season for the same reason.

The problem here isnt the side playing as individuals when theyve been playing together for so long. The cold reality is they simply arent good enough.
Just because they've been together a long time doesn't mean they're a cohesive side. Big question for me is whether it's poor management/coaching that can't get them to gel or bad recruitment picking incompatible players.

I honestly don't know which it is, potentially both, but I can't remember the last time I saw Wolves look a genuine team.

Think its harsh to blame Lonergan for the second goal, Iorfa went charging forward into central midfield with the ball, tripped over it, lost control, recovered, realized he was in trouble, turned and passed it to Stearman, but woefully under hit, Stearman beaten to the ball, Stearman should have reacted quicker but for me that was just poor play by a youngster whose confidence is shot to pieces, he was also culpable in the build up to the penalty. Yesterday Iorfa was worse than Doherty...........yes I really mean that. The lad is a real prospect but he needs taking out of this team immediately before he is permanently damaged, stick Stearman at right back and Silvio at left back, they couldn't be worse. We really must recruit defenders in Jan, a CB, at least one full back, we're also desperate for a goal scoring striker

I think DW says it better on an individual basis than I could and I agree with all of his post, particularly the Doherty and Lonergan bits.

I will add some bits on Paul Lambert's formations.

We started with our standard 4-2-3-1 with the aforementioned mess always likely to happen. This needed to change after the 2nd goal and a better manager would've hauled off Saville for Cavielliero right then and there, but alas our own Robert the Bruce did not do this. We then saw Lambert the Villa play tippy tippy nonsense across the back before a defender hit straight balls into Bod or the right channel for Costa to try and run past the defender. Surprisingly enough this didn't work and so Wednesday decided they would have some fun, kick Bod to pieces and generally pass the ball around our midfield which seemed to be doing the Mannequin challenge for the first half.

That had to wait until half time when Saville was replaced by Dicko accompanied by a 'WTF you've left Coady on as well?' and 'WTF has Cav banged your daughter?' remarks from various fans around me. I had to agree, has Cav done something so heinous he can't even get a sub appearance for George Saville?

This duly sent us into a sort of diamond but gave us a formation but ended up more akin to child's first eleven aside game where the manager is the local primary school history teacher who once played Kick Off 2.

Lonergan
Iorfa--Stears--Hause--Doherty
Price
Edwards--Coady
Costa
Bod--Dicko​

Everybody looked lost and DW's post on the match day thread of our 2 banks of 4 but sideways perfectly illustrates the mess we found ourselves in. We had a diamond with full backs that didn't provide width and all the creativity of BBC daytime show. Costa looked lost, Bod hadn't a clue but Dicko at least knew what he was doing. Price and Edwards waved their arms around a lot and for 15 minutes actually pressed the ball.

The diamond worked much better when Tex and Cav came on for Costa and Bod and we actually had shots and even one on target. I wouldn't be surprised to see this used more and we were far more effective with it but we have to play CBJ and Silvio along with Saiss at the base of the diamond.

Hopefully Lambert goes to this system, sees the error of his ways and plays Saiss and Cav from the start with one of Tex or Costa at the tip of the diamond.

One positive was the crowd who I thought were tremendous yesterday and a tip of the hat to the Sheffield Wednesday fans who to a man managed to have an item of blue somewhere on their person resulting in an impressive sight.

Good analysis, though I saw it more as 4-4-1-1 in the first half. Edwards was pushed right up alongside Bod in the first half (without doing anything by way of useful support, he was just there - like I said with my photo, just bodies rather than anything constructive) and wasn't dropping in when we lost the ball like a proper number 10 should. Because, surprise surprise, he is a dreadful number 10. It's not like I've had nearly a decade to reach that conclusion.

Discussing with Aiki before and after, the best way to keep pressure off a crap back four is to keep the ball. We aren't even trying to at the moment. Everything is bombed long to an isolated striker who isn't even that good in the air.

I can't understand why people are slagging off Bod.

If the team don't create any chances for him, how's he supposed to score a goal ? I keep saying that we need 2 up front - the last time we looked dangerous was the brief time Afobe and Dicko played together.

Cav, Dicko and Bod should all be starting. Especially at home.

I think everyone gone too carried away with the Premier League after the takeover from the owners right through to the fans when they should have been concentrating on developing a Championship team.
Almost every established Championship team we've come up against this season have been fairly comfortable playing against us.

We're a very, very easy team to play against. We were under Zenga, we were under Edwards, we were yesterday under Lambert.

Essentially if I were an opposing manager and I knew that the other team would happily gift possession back to my lot time after time, had no coherent attacking plan, had a defence comically prone to errors leading to clear cut chances, had a midfield with the bite of a toothless chihuahua and was prone to sulking once they went a goal down, I'd be laughing. What need is there for a game plan when they'll do all the work for you?

It's not about the takeover as such, I've seen Colin Lee put together a reasonable Championship team on a net spend of zero. If we keep picking crap footballers with a dreadful work ethic then we'll get crap results.

Can't argue with anything you say Dan, what I can't get my head round is why Manager after Manager after Manager continue to pick the same players.

Can't argue with anything you say Dan, what I can't get my head round is why Manager after Manager after Manager continue to pick the same players.

AndyWolves also said the same thing and it genuinely baffles me too. I can only think the coaches and DoF have developed a clique of pros that others can't break and the manager picks this group as they are mistaken into thinking they are a core to build around.

All the managers have all been wrong and all have had the sack.

I can't understand why people are slagging off Bod.

If the team don't create any chances for him, how's he supposed to score a goal ? I keep saying that we need 2 up front - the last time we looked dangerous was the brief time Afobe and Dicko played together.

Cav, Dicko and Bod should all be starting. Especially at home.

Because the ball bounces off him, he doesn't bring others into the game, he can't head the ball, he offers little movement and all defenders need to do is get close to him and he is totally ineffective.

When Dicko came on we improved considerably in most of the above. Bod's initial positive impression is a a distant memory.

Just seen the highlights. Quick mention for Saville who was closest to the Doherty penalty tackle and still managed to convince himself Doherty got the ball.

Silvio?
Borthwick-Jackson?
Ikeme?

Lets see

----------------Ikeme

Silvio------Iorfa----Hause----CBJ

------------------Saiss

-Costa--------Teixeira----Cavaleiro

-----------BOD---------Dicko

Only Hause from your $#@! list in that line up.

We'd get absolutely slaughtered by anyone half-decent with that kind of team. We tried playing with an attack minded line-up against Derby, and we had to give up on it within about twenty minutes.

Last edited:
Watched the highlights as well. I thought FF had blocked it and then was in. I didn't realise he then ran round Stears who was doing a roger Johnson impression.

We'd get absolutely slaughtered by anyone half-decent with that kind of team. We tried playing with an attack minded line-up against Derby, and we had to give up on it within about twenty minutes.

I totally disagree personally. We got dicked in twenty minutes because of shite personel that I have left out, shite from the Jackett era.

The potential here is enormous,
Even more so.
Because I am here.

2016 is a fucked up year

Brexit
Trump
Saville & Coady being judged better players than Saiss & Ivan by managers. Crazy shit.

AndyWolves also said the same thing and it genuinely baffles me too. I can only think the coaches and DoF have developed a clique of pros that others can't break and the manager picks this group as they are mistaken into thinking they are a core to build around.

All the managers have all been wrong and all have had the sack.

I wonder if it's a stance against Mendes perceived input into the club? "We'll only let managers use players we've chosen?".

I hope we have a really busy January.

All your problems are solvable.
PL is a human being so are the players.
Manager making stupid decisions, yes.
Fosun management even more stupid decisions.

Yet, they were the best decisions they could devise.
You ever make mistakes.
Best thing is not keep making them.

I believe it's a mentality that goes with all the 'experts'.

I guarantee that whoever the studio 'experts' Thursday night are will talk of Edwards, Doherty, Coady etc as 'good honest professional's that anyone would have in their starting lineup'.

I believe it's a mentality that goes with all the 'experts'.

I guarantee that whoever the studio 'experts' Thursday night are will talk of Edwards, Doherty, Coady etc as 'good honest professional's that anyone would have in their starting lineup'.

100% right.
Do not listen to the experts.
That they are not.
They are journeymen at their trade at best.

Back