• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

We need quite a lot in fairness. Let's not let a half decent performance against one of the worst defensive teams in the division mask all that.

We need:

- A left back, as Golbourne is out of favour and Doherty not good enough
- A centre half, and it can't really just be another young prospect either
- Probably two strikers as Alfie is drifting out of favour it seems

I would also argue we need a central midfielder as I'm really not happy with the balance of what we have in the longer term. We're back to putting Edwards there at the minute, he couldn't play there eight years ago. Although we could do with selling at least one of the billion non-scoring, non-creative clones we currently have first. We also need to be looking at signing a goalkeeper if Martinez isn't staying long term, McCarey will probably go in the summer and isn't good enough even as back up at this level. Plus Ikeme isn't very good.

Basically the only place we're adequately stocked in quality and numbers is the wide areas.

We need quite a lot in fairness. Let's not let a half decent performance against one of the worst defensive teams in the division mask all that.

We need:

I would also argue we need a central midfielder as I'm really not happy with the balance of what we have in the longer term. We're back to putting Edwards there at the minute, he couldn't play there eight years ago. Although we could do with selling at least one of the billion non-scoring, non-creative clones we currently have first. We also need to be looking at signing a goalkeeper if Martinez isn't staying long term, McCarey will probably go in the summer and isn't good enough even as back up at this level. Plus Ikeme isn't very good.

Basically the only place we're adequately stocked in quality and numbers is the wide areas.

Realistically we are not going to solve all of that in one window. For me the crucial bit is resolving the defensive issues so that we do not need to put 4 in front to protect them and allowing those that we have do as much as they are capable of.

Might get us up to the top 6, though even if we do that is in itself a lottery - whatever happens we need to end the season with a core of regular starters who with a couple of extra talents will challenge for a top 2 place next time round.

There is some talent in attack - Graham has proved a positive force & Zyro a decent start - not written Wallace or Byrne off either

Obviously in for a left back - I'd like Boilesen.

Centre back I'd like is to go for is Tarkowski. I've rated him since his Oldham days, and sounds like Burnley are going to bid for him.

We need:

Can't argue with any of that. It's a sad indictment of the coaching/scouting staff that anyone who took over would have to replace 2/3 of the team. It all feels a bit of a mess at the moment.

What about this highly sophisticated recruitment set-up of ours? I can't believe that Eder was even in their top 10 possible replacements for Afobe. Always assuming there is a highly sophisticated recruitment set-up... Or could it be that Thelwell's been vastly over-promoted?

What about this highly sophisticated recruitment set-up of ours? I can't believe that Eder was even in their top 10 possible replacements for Afobe. Always assuming there is a highly sophisticated recruitment set-up... Or could it be that Thelwell's been vastly over-promoted?

He must be doing something right because Wolves would probably turn a profit if they resold all the players he has recruited.

Right to business

We need this week

Experienced goalkeeper capable of commanding the box
Experienced Centre half
New left back who can defend and is left footed
2 new strikers- 1 to play and 1 as back up
Number 10

That allows us to play more attacking at home and not ship goals yet go l]more counterattacking away. We cannot defend properly without playing 10-0-1 and we cant outscore teams often enough without better strikers .Lets hope Grahm is ok too. That would really piss on our chips

You have to take into account that to play clever, fluid football we need about seven or eight to come in. Zyro and Siggy could play the one up front but any positive impact would be a Centre half, a left back and clever number ten type player. All loans hopefully.

You have to take into account that to play clever, fluid football we need about seven or eight to come in. Zyro and Siggy could play the one up front but any positive impact would be a Centre half, a left back and clever number ten type player. All loans hopefully.

All change in the summer but to keep us interested this season the whole squad and management needs a freshen up

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to write this window off and wait for a new owner. What's the point of the the Chuckle Brothers making any more signings, simply to loan them out to League One three months later? We're not going down, we're not going to make the play-offs. We may as well use this season to give Bright & Co. some experience and see if Wallace and Byrne have a future in the Championship.

The Graham injury is deeply concerning, guess we'll see VLP on left Henry on right, Dave Edwards back in his fabled number 10 role.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to write this window off and wait for a new owner. What's the point of the the Chuckle Brothers making any more signings, simply to loan them out to League One three months later? We're not going down, we're not going to make the play-offs. We may as well use this season to give Bright & Co. some experience and see if Wallace and Byrne have a future in the Championship.

The trouble is that seems to be what we keep saying come transfer window with a few exceptions. Always disappointing and always seem to be bringing more in than we shell out. This will be no different I fear.

Just for some originality we've been linked with Chris wood again today. Along with Kemar Roofe.

No to Wood from me, he's been shit for Leeds and the twat turns us down every window. Fuck him.

Roofe on the other hand would be a great shout so a yes!

I would rather we didn't do anything right now and put all effort into selling the club and being ready for a big push in the summer.

Well I'd like some improvement if there is a good deal such as the Afobe one Paddy. We should always look to improve and I can understand the view of wanting to wait till we have a new owner, but we really need a striker. Would prefer if defensive frailties were sorted out too so we can look forward to next season.

More attacking suggestions of our interest being made

Kemar Roofe of Oxford and John Akinde (Burton) being the next two cabs off the rank.

Realistically it won't matter if we do sign strikers as unless we resolve the defence so that they aren't likely to give up 2 or 3 stupid goals per game or only cope if our midfield is near enough to hold hands with them then any striker, however good, is not going to get many opportunities.

Tim Spiers ‏@tim_spiers_Star 5m5 minutes ago
I understand there's nothing in the reports linking Wolves with Chris Wood and Kemar Roofe. #wwfc

Now if that was a tweet from the Original Tim I would be expecting both players to be holding up a Wolves shirt by Tuesday....

Shame if there is no substance behind the Kemar story. I knew him as a kid and he is a very good lad. I didn't understand why Albion let him go either, with such little opportunity.

I definatly would not like Wood here though.

Back