• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Would be delighted if we could sign Boilesen, he sounds like just what we need. It also sounds as if he should be setting his sights a bit higher than us so could be a bit of a coup.

Don't you know, everyone wants to play for Ken "The Power" Jackett.

He does rate him but that foot issue is reducing his ability a lot. Not sure they have confidence it will ever clear up. Even Golbourne admits it fucked him up last season.

If the foot was that big of a problem Ken wouldn't be playing him at all. It's his lack of strength in the air. Every time he's been beaten at the back post for a goal he's been dropped the following week.

If the foot was that big of a problem Ken wouldn't be playing him at all. It's his lack of strength in the air. Every time he's been beaten at the back post for a goal he's been dropped the following week.

Quite. Which is a shit basis on which to judge full backs, but Ken's gonna Ken.

Quite. Which is a shit basis on which to judge full backs, but Ken's gonna Ken.

Can't see him dropping Dom for the same reason after letting LVC beat him to the ball last night. Dom's a big powerful lad...

I don't agree with the reasoning behind it but I do think we need to upgrade on Golbourne. He was dire in 2015 and, as bad as he is, Doherty is rightly keeping him out of the team atm. I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him in this window.

Yeah, we've given Golbourne 18 months at this level and his performances have been too uneven. I don't think he'll get a new contract.

Doherty is quite obviously no long term answer at all (you might note that Fulham's first goal comes from him not getting remotely near stopping a cross...again) so a left back is almost as important as a new striker. Boilesen would be a superb signing.

I thought Doherty was a complete bomb scare on Tuesday. It wasn't just the first goal, it happened time and time again, Kacaniklic had him on toast. At least he can go forward though, he linked up really well with Graham and almost set up another goal for Zyro. Golbourne hasn't contributed anything offensively since League 1.

I thought Doherty was a complete bomb scare on Tuesday. It wasn't just the first goal, it happened time and time again, Kacaniklic had him on toast. At least he can go forward though, he linked up really well with Graham and almost set up another goal for Zyro. Golbourne hasn't contributed anything offensively since League 1.

Doherty does actually try and pass the ball through midfield which helped get Zyro and Graham on the ball more than usual. We have to get more players in who are comfortable when the ball is at their feet.

Doherty does actually try and pass the ball through midfield which helped get Zyro and Graham on the ball more than usual. We have to get more players in who are comfortable when the ball is at their feet.

As much as I think Doherty is a mess defensively at FB I think converting him to a defensive midfielder may work as he is actually quite good on the ball. I'm thinking a Glenn Whelan type.

He has played there occasionally for Ireland U21s. I think his chronic lack of mobility would rule him out of any future there, he just isn't a very good footballer. I watched Oxford's game against Swansea last weekend and he is miles worse than either of their full backs, a League Two team.

As much as I think Doherty is a mess defensively at FB I think converting him to a defensive midfielder may work as he is actually quite good on the ball. I'm thinking a Glenn Whelan type.

Due to the fact he's not a very capable defender its got to be worth a try.

I agree with the mobility thing but not sure he isn't just a bad footballer. Technically I think he's OK. But I agree with you about his ability at full back, he's really lg 2 or below level, Christ knows why we've extended his contract.

I know there are detractors of Doherty, but there is value there (to a manager and squad) in that he can change sides at fb. Not every fullback is successful playing both sides, I admit his ability is more passible/lower end of the league, but still it's probably something that KJ and the team consider.

I know there are detractors of Doherty, but there is value there (to a manager and squad) in that he can change sides at fb. Not every fullback is successful playing both sides, I admit his ability is more passible/lower end of the league, but still it's probably something that KJ and the team consider.
His versatility means he probably merits a squad place to be honest. And I say that as a near Deutsch-esque critic.

It would be fantastic to see someone of Boileson's calibre signing. I've seen him play a couple of times and he'd be a huge upgrade on what we have.

Desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.

Agreed.

Back