• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

I'd be very upset if we sold Kortney.

I'd be very upset if we sold Kortney.

I'd be annoyed, not sure I'd be that upset.

In other news, after being linked with M'Bengue & Bedimo, we're now being linked to François Moubandje from Toulouse.

Can't see us selling any centre backs to be honest.

Ajax left back Nicolai Boilesen (23) linked with Wolves. He has contract expiry in the summer and has been frosen out at Ajax the last year or so since revealing that he wouldn't extend his contract. He is available on a free in the summer or for a low fee in the January window.

He is an attacking left back and a quality player, I would however be a bit surprised to see him switch to Wolves, because higher ranked clubs in Europe has had their interest in him during the past year or so.

A few Copenhagen fans are speculating on the chance of him making a rival move to FCK even though he got his football development at Brøndby before leaving for Ajax

Maybe the lack of first team games has made him a possibility for lower ranking clubs like Wolves or FCK. Time will tell.

Original Dutch article here: http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/v...kt_voor_Boilesen__.html#voetbal/227/fixtures/

Danish articles here:
http://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/benelux/avis-championship-klub-interesseret-i-boilesen
http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/avis-championship-klub-vil-have-boilesen/

Looks very slightly like Chris Armstrong on that wiki page. He used to love a goal against Wolves.

Ajax left back Nicolai Boilesen (23) linked with Wolves. He has contract expiry in the summer and has been frosen out at Ajax the last year or so since revealing that he wouldn't extend his contract. He is available on a free in the summer or for a low fee in the January window.

He is an attacking left back and a quality player, I would however be a bit surprised to see him switch to Wolves, because higher ranked clubs in Europe has had their interest in him during the past year or so.

A few Copenhagen fans are speculating on the chance of him making a rival move to FCK even though he got his football development at Brøndby before leaving for Ajax

Maybe the lack of first team games has made him a possibility for lower ranking clubs like Wolves or FCK. Time will tell.

Original Dutch article here: http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/v...kt_voor_Boilesen__.html#voetbal/227/fixtures/

Danish articles here:
http://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/benelux/avis-championship-klub-interesseret-i-boilesen

That would be quite a coup for us if we managed to pull that off.

Desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.

Desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.
Indeed. The alternative is we sell Batth and bring in someone like Dorian Dervite, who we've been linked with in this very window, and I don't think anyone would want that.

Danish articles here:

Yes please..

Why the I know I know bit? HITC have been correct on a lot of things Wolves related. Certainly more than any other place I have seen
Probably because it was slated on here until Peter O'Rouke started tweeting their links.

Reports this morning that Clough turned down Bristol due to their lowly league position, despite being offered a "significant rise" on his current salary. He seems like a pretty level headed lad and someone who would fit in well here. I hope we bid.

Indeed. The alternative is we sell Batth and bring in someone like Dorian Dervite, who we've been linked with in this very window, and I don't think anyone would want that.

Or there is perhaps a middle ground between Rio Ferdinand and Dorian Dervite?

Batth is easily replaceable. Those defending him seem to think he's fine with the right partner, who's traits seem to include being a better athlete, better ball player and better communicator than Batth, if that's everything that his partner needs to bring out the best in Batth then what exactly is Danny adding to the relationship? He'd be weaker than his partner in every aspect and essentially just a body making up the numbers.

You look at the likes of Terry and Carragher, probably the pinnacle of that nuts and bolts defender who'll put their body on the line and lump stuff away all day, they're generally the dominant one in the partnership, they make up for their athletic shortcomings by having that big extra upstairs, they're the communicator/organiser and they pull the strings for the more athletic but perhaps a little more naive bodies around them, as Terry is doing with Zouma at the minute. Batth's no kid anymore, he should already be displaying those sort of qualities by now if he's ever likely to really take that role in the team but it doesn't appear that he is, he might well be a senior figure in the dressing room but out on the pitch he's still playing a junior part.

If someone with more of those qualities can be bought in, Williamson perhaps though I don't think I saw any of the games he played on loan, then I'd say Batth is probably the one who should lose his place as both EEL and Hause seem like the players who'd dovetail better with that sort of player, covering each other's weaknesses.

Or there is perhaps a middle ground between Rio Ferdinand and Dorian Dervite?

Batth is easily replaceable. Those defending him seem to think he's fine with the right partner, who's traits seem to include being a better athlete, better ball player and better communicator than Batth, if that's everything that his partner needs to bring out the best in Batth then what exactly is Danny adding to the relationship? He'd be weaker than his partner in every aspect and essentially just a body making up the numbers.

You look at the likes of Terry and Carragher, probably the pinnacle of that nuts and bolts defender who'll put their body on the line and lump stuff away all day, they're generally the dominant one in the partnership, they make up for their athletic shortcomings by having that big extra upstairs, they're the communicator/organiser and they pull the strings for the more athletic but perhaps a little more naive bodies around them, as Terry is doing with Zouma at the minute. Batth's no kid anymore, he should already be displaying those sort of qualities by now if he's ever likely to really take that role in the team but it doesn't appear that he is, he might well be a senior figure in the dressing room but out on the pitch he's still playing a junior part.

If someone with more of those qualities can be bought in, Williamson perhaps though I don't think I saw any of the games he played on loan, then I'd say Batth is probably the one who should lose his place as both EEL and Hause seem like the players who'd dovetail better with that sort of player, covering each other's weaknesses.

As per TSB's earlier post (which hit the nail on the head), desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.

And I only mentioned Dervite because he is someone we have been strongly linked with. Personally I don't mind Batth and think some of the criticism leveled at him is unfair.

Either way, until Hause is back, we're one injury away from having one fit centre half in the squad - so I wouldn't be looking to sell any of our centre backs unless the offer is obscene.

Back