• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

How on earth can we afford him? The wages I mean, not the transfer fee.

It seems like according to the players we are being linked to that we are looking for good value players in the European market a little similar to when Solbakken was here I would assume these are Thelwell recommendations rather than players Kenny is identifying I'm not knocking It though as getting experienced Internationals at low fees seems a better philosophy then constantly looking for potential at around the same values.

Desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.

I agree it would be hard to find a player with all three but just one would be a significant improvement.

It seems like according to the players we are being linked to that we are looking for good value players in the European market a little similar to when Solbakken was here I would assume these are Thelwell recommendations rather than players Kenny is identifying I'm not knocking It though as getting experienced Internationals at low fees seems a better philosophy then constantly looking for potential at around the same values.

Certainly works well for Southampton. I know they're looking considerably more upmarket than we are, but they've got some decent bargains when looking abroad.

As per TSB's earlier post (which hit the nail on the head), desirable qualities in a replacement for Batth seem to be pace, distribution and leadership/organisational skills. Personally I don't think there is a defender with those qualities who would be remotely interested in playing in the Championship let alone being available for around £3 million.

And I only mentioned Dervite because he is someone we have been strongly linked with. Personally I don't mind Batth and think some of the criticism leveled at him is unfair.

Either way, until Hause is back, we're one injury away from having one fit centre half in the squad - so I wouldn't be looking to sell any of our centre backs unless the offer is obscene.

Wouldn't those be desirable attributes for any defender anywhere?

They certainly wouldn't need all of that to improve Wolves defence, someone like Williamson for example who seems easily attainable would apparently improve both distribution and organisation over what Batth offers and whilst neither EEL nor Hause are rapid they're quick enough that they could provide a bit of extra cover to old man Williamson whilst benefiting from his experience next to them.

It certainly isn't going to take some perfect, super-human monster of a centre half to upgrade on Batth, he's just a big dumb lump who can see on his 18 yard box knocking stuff away, get anyone running at him or in behind him and he's all at sea. He's no better now than he was 3 years ago.

Boilesen is a big lad. Seen him a few times in Europe and he's looked decent.

Nicolai Boilesen has previously been linked with a move to Aston Villa and Genoa in Italy
http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/avis-boilesen-igen-aktuel-i-aston-villa/
http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/boilesen-meldes-taet-paa-serie-a-klub/

Ajax have been asking 2 mil pounds for him, but that fee is sure much less now due to the contract expiry in the summer.

As for his qualities, i'll say good pace, technique, positioning and passing/crossing skills. He maybe lacks physic and I wouldn't play him anywhere else than on the left full back.

Nicolai Boilesen has previously been linked with a move to Aston Villa and Genoa in Italy

Ajax have been asking 2 mil pounds for him, but that fee is sure much less now due to the contract expiry in the summer.

As for his qualities, i'll say good pace, technique, positioning and passing/crossing skills. He maybe lacks physic and I wouldn't play him anywhere else than on the left full back.

Good, that's one of our weakest positions and if he has the ability to lead and organise then even better. Get a Williamson in beside him and I think we give Batth a break for a few games and have one of the best back lines in the league. All down to KJ then...

Welcome back Mads...

Seems as though KJ/Thelwell has identified that Golbourne isn't up to scratch anymore, been linked with a couple of left backs recently.

Seems as though KJ/Thelwell has identified that Golbourne isn't up to scratch anymore, been linked with a couple of left backs recently.

Ken has never rated him that highly IMO (not powerful enough).

He does rate him but that foot issue is reducing his ability a lot. Not sure they have confidence it will ever clear up. Even Golbourne admits it fucked him up last season.

To be fair, Golbourne has been poor this season, wouldn't say no to Boilesen though. Any chance they can chuck in Milik too?

You admin/mod boys been throwing some membership reminders out or something?

First Tech game back, then Loonse and now CW.

Would be delighted if we could sign Boilesen, he sounds like just what we need. It also sounds as if he should be setting his sights a bit higher than us so could be a bit of a coup.

Not enough power for Ken then? He might keep picking Doherty.

Back