• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

MMMmmm............ I was concerned at Batths turning circle and lack of pace last year hence my call for another centre back in the summer. EEl doesnt fill me with that much confidence either. Given that leaves Doherty the goalscoring left back and Iorfa with Hause as a back up I think we have few enough options at the back. Williamson coming in fits EEL position. but if you sell Batth now that creates another gaping hole. Coady? I am not sure about that. We need to make a few signings before we start letting players go or we will have another issue a la Stearman. Not to say I wouldnt baulk at another 3 mil but timing is everything.

Plenty of time left in the window though. I would be concerned if we let a defender go on the last day, but less so with some weeks to go.

Hmm. I think Batth is a decent CB for the Championship even if he is quite agricultural (and too old now to be expected to be able to lose that from his game), and I think his current poor form comes from needing a more experienced partner alongside him - he's always looked a much better player when he's had someone older, be it Stearman or Williamson, to take the responsibility of organising the backline. I'd be wary of selling him right now. Not like we need even more disruption in the dressing room either.

By all means, reassess in the summer, though.

Plenty of time left in the window though. I would be concerned if we let a defender go on the last day, but less so with some weeks to go.

If we can see the gaps other clubs will too and prices and wages egt inflated. Get your businrss done in the next week or so then look at who to ship out. Get your own house sorted first works best for me.

Hmm. I think Batth is a decent CB for the Championship even if he is quite agricultural (and too old now to be expected to be able to lose that from his game), and I think his current poor form comes from needing a more experienced partner alongside him - he's always looked a much better player when he's had someone older, be it Stearman or Williamson, to take the responsibility of organising the backline. I'd be wary of selling him right now. Not like we need even more disruption in the dressing room either.

By all means, reassess in the summer, though.

We're only talking about Batth going if anybody stupid throws good money at us.

I'm not keen on selling him but tbh. But that's more to the volume of key players from the last few years that we have already lost, some consistency in the dressing room is needed!

He's an OK championship CB, tho recently he has become panicked and his passing diabolical. Maybe some of this is down to confidence though.

I like Danny batth - but he needs an organiser next to him, with a bit of pace - but plenty of 'stoppers' have gone on to have really good premier league careers.

I like Danny batth - but he needs an organiser next to him, with a bit of pace - but plenty of 'stoppers' have gone on to have really good premier league careers.
I kind of agree with this. He was fine along Stearman and Williamson, but when we want him to be the leader of our defence he isn't. Sign someone to go alongside him and he'll be fine, but if a multi million pound offer came in I'd take it. There are plenty head it and kick it centre halves out there

Not so sure Stearman was a leader. He was bloody awful at it in the first couple of games this season.

Not so sure Stearman was a leader. He was bloody awful at it in the first couple of games this season.

He was much, much better at distribution, however, and that's just as important. A big part of why Batth (and those around him) look so bad is he's kicking the ball away to the other team all the time, so it comes straight back. Having that better outlet alongside him meant fewer opportunities to make a mess of things as it came straight back towards them.

He organised the defence better than Batth does. I don't subscribe to some of the martyrdom, but in the last two seasons he was more the onfield captain than Batth was and as has been said above he gave him an easy ball which EEL doesn't

He said something along the lines of "you come down here and pass the fucking ball if it's that easy".

Actually, I'm not sure what i read that started my rant, but it wasn't about Cotterill for sure. I just believe that players subjected to shit from morons in the crowd have a right to go tell them to do one.

Actually, I'm not sure what i read that started my rant, but it wasn't about Cotterill for sure. I just believe that players subjected to $#@! from morons in the crowd have a right to go tell them to do one.
No one should be subjected to abuse, however by that reckoning Doctors and nurses should be allowed to tell morons to go do one. I can forgive players a little more for reacting but for the manager to do so is embarrassing, should be bigger and better than to start arguing with your own fans. I don't condone morons a particularly loud one sits behind me, however just part of the crowd dynamic sadly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

We need a jody type of player at the back, with his attitude and experience..not gorkks mind..

For £4-5M I would bite their hand off I like Danny but he has hit his ceiling he isn't going to get any better and EEL could potentially be a better play the same can be same for Hause too who could be better than both.

I'm pretty puzzled at that rumour, why would Bournemouth be looking at a guy who hasn't done anything remarkable this season in the 16th best defence in the Championship?

It won't happen.

I'm pretty puzzled at that rumour, why would Bournemouth be looking at a guy who hasn't done anything remarkable this season in the 16th best defence in the Championship?

It won't happen.

Sadly not and the talk of £3.5m upwards is deluded. He’s a very limited player. Dreadful in possession, slow and not that good in the air against big opponents, and as stated above he is not a good organiser. We could replace him, indeed improve on him, for a lot less than £3.5m.

Back