• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Oh and my contacts at Norwich reckon Afobe approach to be made this week.

McNair is very hit and miss at this stage (less than 25 senior games, so inevitable) and I'm not sure I see the value in us signing someone we would have little chance of getting permanently. With us effectively 14 points clear of the bottom three we don't need additions to make sure we just stay in the league.

I don't expect we're even in for him, it was more to do with the disregarding of him by some. Nuts

What's your view on him?

Like I said, nothing to get excited about.

An improvement on what we have in some ways seeing as he actually seems to put some thought into defending which is more than can be said about Batth/EEL/Hause. Apart from that I don't see anything special about him at all and as Deutsch says, he's still very inexperienced and we have no chance of signing him permanently. I'd have hoped that we've learnt our lesson in that regard after Sheyi Ojo. In what way have Wolves benefited from giving Ojo 19 appearances in our first team?

Edit: I don't believe we're in for him for a second btw, he's the antithesis of a Kenny Jackett centre back. He's at least 5 inches too short for one.

Wallace heading out on loan to Millwall?

Ffs hope not. Kenny really is a cock at times, didn't want to play Graham and when he finally had no choice and played him he's been our best player. He's not given Wallace a chance at all.

Brighton signal their intent to stop the rot by signing Anthony Knockaert.

didn't want to play Graham .

From my understanding, it was nothing about not wanting to play him, but he came back in pre-season with a shocker of an attitude. Probably assuming he had done enough and would be in the 1st team. Hence he was left out of the France trip. He had some growing up to do and fair play to him, he got his head down, did it and earned his way into the team.

He could have left Graham out of the side with Ojo, VLP and Byrne available.

I'm sure Steve Morgan would love £12m in his pocket seeing as in his quest to sell the club Afobe only counts as a £2m asset. If a bid of that nature comes in he'll leave. Absolutely no doubt.

Ffs hope not. Kenny really is a cock at times, didn't want to play Graham and when he finally had no choice and played him he's been our best player. He's not given Wallace a chance at all.

Put this on one of the other threads earlier - agree with your sentiment Tredman, but if Kenny's not going to play him then we are better with him out on loan & getting games to show what he can do.

The article I read indicated that if agreed it was only short term so (even in KJ's mind) he's clearly not finished here

I'm sure Steve Morgan would love £12m in his pocket seeing as in his quest to sell the club Afobe only counts as a £2m asset. If a bid of that nature comes in he'll leave. Absolutely no doubt.

Given that the club doesn't owe anything to Morgan personally or Bridgemere Group as a whole, it would not look good to prospective new owners for the present incumbent to be pulling player sale generated cash out of the club.

He might go (I don't think so, but not out of the question), I would say there is a significantly less than 1% chance of Steve Morgan taking the money for himself.

Assuming that there were Premier Clubs in for him when he signed for us presume that they were ones in the lower reaches & still in danger of relegation.

If he didn't go to one of those at that time wouldn't expect him to want to now - and Norwich still fall into that category.

A move in the summer would probably be more attractive from his viewpoint & don't expect his value to change that much by then. Whilst he has not had such a great season has still scored 10 goals whilst being used inappropriately.

On that basis should be capable of 18 - 20 goals for the season which is not a bad return for a striker

Tim II tweets from this evening

Astonishing some of the sums spent in the Champ this season. Derby have blown £25m! More than double what Arsenal have spent. Hard to fathom

Between them Derby and Boro have spent the best part of £40m. If Wolves are to compete they need a megabucks new owner sharpish.

The rewards are there for all to see, but the risks are just as high. Bolton the prime example. Fascinating to see what road Wolves go down.

Do fans really want Wolves to go down that route? Gambling on future, getting saddled with big earners? Or do they risk getting left behind?

Spend the money no ambition scouse mafia cunts ruining our club bring back the bomb squad

The rewards are there for all to see, but the risks are just as high. Bolton the prime example. Fascinating to see what road Wolves go down.

Do fans really want Wolves to go down that route? Gambling on future, getting saddled with big earners? Or do they risk getting left behind?

See, that's all a bit muddled. Bolton's problems can be surmised thus:

1) Running at large losses while in the Premier League, year on year - so massive TV money was still not enough to fund what they were doing

2) Not cutting back sufficiently when relegated

3) Being entirely reliant on one benefactor who no longer wishes to fund the club.

None of that being analogous to Wolves at the moment. You can't just flash Bolton up as a scare case and say we could go the same way, because none of it would really apply.

As for gambling on the future, well Steve Gibson isn't going anywhere from Boro and Derby's new owner is local as well (I assume he is a lifelong fan rather than it just being a happy coincidence that he is from the area and wanted to dispose of some of his cash). They are of a very different profile to an owner coming in, splashing cash (that in Timbo's example, presumably isn't really there) and then buggering off and leaving the club to deal with the mess.

I'm sure the fans would like us to go down that road though. They forever want more spending on players, irrespective of how much we actually dole out, they forever say we're two players short. Not worth listening to a lot of the time as for all they insist they're "not suggesting we do a Portsmouth", in actual fact that is *exactly* what they're proposing, just on a smaller scale.

Personally I would have liked us to use the money saved from waving bye bye to Johnson, O'Hara, Foley, Sako, Doyle, Clarke, Jacobs, Ricketts, Margreitter, Kuszczak and Stearman over the last 15 months or so and we haven't really had a satisfactory explanation why we didn't. We didn't make a loss last season with all those players on our books at various points, we haven't signed anyone since who should be on massive wages. If it's a stockbuilding exercise in anticipation of us losing the parachute money this summer then fine, but that was not what was outlined in May/June. Mixed messages, yet again.

I've watched Bradley Dack tonight and he's been a class apart on that pitch, great ball for the goal as well..

I've watched Bradley Dack tonight and he's been a class apart on that pitch, great ball for the goal as well..

I will keep pushing this one because i mentioned him in the summer improvement thread, he is class.

Back