• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

We need someone to come in and organise the back 4, Williamson has proven that he can do that. We night be able to get someone younger in but if they aren't capable of organising the defence then there's no real point in them. The likes of Batth, Iorfa, Hause, Golbourne have all at one point or another proven that they're good defenders but we need a smarter player in next to them as they're not showing anywhere near their full potential atm.

FWIW I doubt Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Williamson anyway as CB is their strongest position. He probably wouldn't even get a game if he went there.

A decent coach might be a useful start.

The Daily Star reported that Sheffield Wednesday might be interested and everyone is panicking like the sky has fallen in. Nothing to substantiate it at all yet.

'A Sheffield based contact seems to think he is due at Wednesday for a medical tomorrow.' From someone who wouldn't make things up.

I'm sure they wouldn't. However, I will wait and see as that is still hearsay.

No doubt we'll go for the 'bargain basement' cheapo options, if anything at all. I have zero confidence in Moxey, Thelwell and Jackett. All bullshit-spouting incompetents that would see us languish in this division (or lower) forever.

No doubt we'll go for the 'bargain basement' cheapo options, if anything at all. I have zero confidence in Moxey, Thelwell and Jackett. All bullshit-spouting incompetents that would see us languish in this division (or lower) forever.

A low transfer fee does not necessarily equate to a low quality player. Michael Kightly cost 1% of what we paid for Greg Halford. In fact a good chunk of our successful signings over the last decade have been for under £1m and there are loads of duds that cost way more than that. It's a terrible way to arbitrarily judge players.

Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez cost Leicester about £1.5m between them.

Jamie Vardy was a huge risk at the time to be fair. £1 million for a non-league player was close to madness.

Jamie Vardy was a huge risk at the time to be fair. £1 million for a non-league player was close to madness.

In the same window when Connor Sammon went for more than that, not so much.

The point being that transfer values don't necessarily represent anything and you would think Wolves fans would appreciate that more than most. Whining for whining's sake. Besides which, who seriously expects us to be spending big when we have an owner who wants out and we're heading for an immediate £8-10m decrease in income next season?

You may as well bawl at a cat for not barking.

If Williamson goes elsewhere, I personally wouldn't lose sleep. He's an ok signing at best, but he's only really a sticking plaster. Just turned 32, so a risk at anything more than this season.

Hardly anything to get particularly excited about is he?

We need someone to come in and organise the back 4, Williamson has proven that he can do that. We night be able to get someone younger in but if they aren't capable of organising the defence then there's no real point in them. The likes of Batth, Iorfa, Hause, Golbourne have all at one point or another proven that they're good defenders but we need a smarter player in next to them as they're not showing anywhere near their full potential atm.

FWIW I doubt Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Williamson anyway as CB is their strongest position. He probably wouldn't even get a game if he went there.

I think he is. He's gonna be a really decent player and would improve our side a fair bit.
What's your view on him?

I disagree, just because he played a bit for man Utd doesn't automatically make him amazing. I'd far prefer Williamson personally, at least he can defend and organise.

Winter Improvement Thread 2015/2016

Who said that it did? Must have missed that bit.

He's much much better than anything else, and he's quicker too. Something for me that we lack

It was more the elder statesman in the defence I feel we need. McNair would do a job but we already have plenty of younglings. That's the only reason I'd prefer Williamson very vocal and level headed to watch.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Either of those two would both improve what we have, I wouldn't complain.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

McNair is very hit and miss at this stage (less than 25 senior games, so inevitable) and I'm not sure I see the value in us signing someone we would have little chance of getting permanently. With us effectively 14 points clear of the bottom three we don't need additions to make sure we just stay in the league.

Back