• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Self sufficient does not mean running a surplus every year. Player purchases and sales don't have to be up front - the quoted price we pad for players (or received from sales) is probably factored in over a number of years. We "could" spend a reported £10 million on a player and make the payments in instalments.

Your vis a vis assumptions are anything but.

But we aren't going up or down this season, there is no compelling reason to spend in January, unless you're a fan.

This is the most pertinent point. Why sell a player mid-season for no obvious gain. We are not making the top six this season, by all means sell him in the summer and use the money to rebuild the squad when you have three months to work at it rather than three weeks.

Afobe is currently a depreciating asset to the club. If we get a big offer this window, he'll be gone. If not, he'll be off in the summer anyway.

Kenny won't see any of the money, as it will be used to make up the shortfall in our income resulting from the parachute payments ending.

Self sufficient does not mean running a surplus every year. Player purchases and sales don't have to be up front - the quoted price we pad for players (or received from sales) is probably factored in over a number of years. We "could" spend a reported £10 million on a player and make the payments in instalments.

Your vis a vis assumptions are anything but.

Lets see. Resume your argument after the window.I will be happy to see 4 new players and Afobe here with a few million spent.

Every player is a depreciating asset. That is what you do. Depreciate them over the length of their contract.

Every player is a depreciating asset. That is what you do. Depreciate them over the length of their contract.

I think he means market value rather than book value and I'd imagine his market value now is a lot less than it was in the summer.

Then why sell now? Crystallizing that lost market value seems anti-logical.

I think he means market value rather than book value and I'd imagine his market value now is a lot less than it was in the summer.

I don't think it is. He's still scored a respectable amount in a grossly underperforming team, nothing has changed really bar the stated ambitions of Wolves.

You wouldn't have suggested Harry Kane's value would have gone down £10m when he wasn't scoring at the start of the season but now it's all back to normal, player valuations are not that transient.

Exactly. His limitations have been exposed this season, and we are seeing a few of the reasons why Arsenal let him go.

He is fifth top scorer in a wank team. I think you are exaggerating his demise.

I think you are exaggerating his demise.

Indeed. If we are a free flowing attacking team.....no actually if we were an attacking team of any sort and he was going missing during games or looking lost then maybe but when is parked up front and his attacking midfield option is holding the hand of the defence he has no chance..

He is fifth top scorer in a wank team. I think you are exaggerating his demise.

3 in 14 isn't great though. If his form improves, and that would need Jackett to change the style of play, then his value may not go down, but if he carries on then his value in the summer will be a lot less.

Pointing out his shortcomings is a bit different to saying he's on the slide.

Everyone can see from recent games that Afobe is no target man, just the same as we could see earlier in the season that the boy is no free-roaming playmaker either. That doesn't mean he isn't still a threat playing in a way more suited to his talents.

He can still get himself into decent positions and he can still finish, as shown by his goal haul in spite of the team's failings, but he needs a lot of help from the team to get the best from him. Whether than be a partner like Dicko who'll do all the legwork for him, chasing down the balls into channels and free him up to think about getting on the end of things or if he's up top alone he needs a midfield which is able to get on the ball more and control possession to some extent so he can make those runs in behind.

If you're not set up to play to those strengths then he's very average.

Exactly. His limitations have been exposed this season, and we are seeing a few of the reasons why Arsenal let him go.

Terrible player. He's only scored 10 goals for us so far, which is more than the second and third highest scorers put together, even though he hasn't even started every game.

He's so limited and exposed this season that other clubs will be queueing up to buy him for millions.

As others have said, we need to try and hold on to him at least until the season's end, even though his 'limitations have been exposed'.

Pointing out his shortcomings is a bit different to saying he's on the slide.

Everyone can see from recent games that Afobe is no target man, just the same as we could see earlier in the season that the boy is no free-roaming playmaker either. That doesn't mean he isn't still a threat playing in a way more suited to his talents.

He can still get himself into decent positions and he can still finish, as shown by his goal haul in spite of the team's failings, but he needs a lot of help from the team to get the best from him. Whether than be a partner like Dicko who'll do all the legwork for him, chasing down the balls into channels and free him up to think about getting on the end of things or if he's up top alone he needs a midfield which is able to get on the ball more and control possession to some extent so he can make those runs in behind.

If you're not set up to play to those strengths then he's very average.

It's really not that hard to set a team up to get the best out of such a player. It's a damning indictment on the manager that he hasn't been able to do it, bad decision after bad decision.

I would say Jordan Rhodes is a significantly more limited player and Blackburn have had no issues in getting a return out of him every year that they've owned him.

There's just no way that we'll go from turning down £12m in August 2015 to accepting say £8m in January 2016 and even less in June 2016 because his 'value has dropped', for one it hasn't and for two it doesn't work like that.

You could stick van Nistelrooy in this team and he wouldn't score. The service Afobe gets is horrific.

3 in 14 isn't great though.

One of those a penalty as well. Prior to that he just seemed to pop up with the odd consolation goal in matches where we dropped points anyway. As others have said, time to move him on to make up for the loss of the parachute payments.

Back