• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Sure I read recently there was a chance we could sign Martinez on a permanent.

I'd guess most here would be in favour. He does have Cech, Ospina, szczesny in front of him I believe.
In principle I'd be in favour. I guess McCarey will be off soon (perhaps that's why he's commentating - preparing for a new career?) which leaves Ikeme & kids.

Linked with a keeper at Shrewsbury today
If Martinez was a potential signing we would be starting with him.

The previous page of this thread made my eyes bleed.

Feel sorry for Zyro.

Linked with a keeper at Shrewsbury today
If Martinez was a potential signing we would be starting with him.
That was my quandary. Given he's on the bench, there's gotta be a reason for that.

Typical Jackett, but isn't there a recent interview with him saying we're interested but it will depend on the budget?

The prospects for signing Martinez changed between him getting injured and his recovery for whatever reason, he isn't going to sign for us now.

We do need a new keeper.

I wonder how this will affect our recruitment over the summer. We're pretty well stocked in terms of Zyro's main positions - behind the striker and on the right wing - but he was useful cover on the left, and we definitely need to get another winger there to play for the first half of the season / compete with Graham when he's back fit.

We 100% still need a new striker to compete with Dicko (we don't have anyone else who can play up there, really, and every time he's out of the team we go to shit). But will we just try and cover the rest of the positions we need to improve on - backup left-back, new left winger, arguably another creative central midfielder - from the U21s? Enobakhare looks like he needs to go out on loan to somewhere in League One to get some proper playing time, and the same probably for Hunte, but could see either shoehorned out to left wing. Hell, is there a chance we might see Ennis in the first XI sometime soon?

I'm not keen on loaning our players out any more. They frequently get parked on the bench or otherwise misused and we don't learn anything from sending them out, makes no difference to us whether they can play in L1 or not. We're not in a position where we're going to be running a large squad of senior pros any time soon so we should be using our own kids as proper squad options.

Ennis is incredibly highly thought of at the club but with his injury I think you can forget it being this season that he breaks through.

I'm not keen on loaning our players out any more. They frequently get parked on the bench or otherwise misused and we don't learn anything from sending them out, makes no difference to us whether they can play in L1 or not. We're not in a position where we're going to be running a large squad of senior pros any time soon so we should be using our own kids as proper squad options.

Ennis is incredibly highly thought of at the club but with his injury I think you can forget it being this season that he breaks through.

Ah I forgot about Ennis' injury, but still, I meant sometime next season - blooded in in cup games and the like in place of Dicko.

And I agree about the loan thing for players like Wallace where it's obvious that the manager is just not able to spot and make use of talent properly, but for youth players on the edge of the squad (a Hunte, say) I'm still OK with using it as a stepping stone.

From next season we won't see players leave on loan in between the 2 windows as the emergency loan window is not happening (I think)

In the Express and Star KJ says he know what is required to make Wolves a top six team next season. Though of course the transfer budget could have a bearing on it.

Williamson wont play again this season according to KJ via BBC news site. Pain in the arse for both him and us!

Does make the January signing a farce though, how much money would've been wasted on a fee and wages when they could've picked him up as a free agent in the summer?

Absolutely. It didn't seem to be a case of us beating off a host of competition for his signature, so it looks like pretty piss-poor business.

Saying that, I do think Williamson will have an impact next season.

Back