• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

I don't get the obsession with some Wolves fans to change Iorfa's position. He'll make a top class full back in time.

Iorfa is a fullback all day long for me, his power, pace and athleticism are great, he obviously needs work on his positional play and final product going forward but that will come with experience.

He's not great positionally, he's not very composed on the ball and his tackling isn't the best.

I don't want a defensive midfielder who gets dragged away from his position.

I think he's a far better offensive player, he is a good tackler and can distribute. Very quick over a few yards too. Has come a bit undone at RB.

I can see the argument for Iorfa as a Centre Half and perhaps he could end up there. As a defensive midfielder, sorry I can't see it

Iorfa's strengths are his freakish speed and above average dribbling. So naturally we should play him in a position that minimizes both of those attributes. Smart.

That's exactly why he'd be worth a try-out there. He can win the ball and distribute it. If he's better at RB then put him back there but I still feel we need two quality full backs.

He's a full back all day long as far as i'm concerned. Got all the attributes for a full back, he just needs to relax in attacking areas as he isn't fantastic technically and he does need to work on his covering and positioning when the ball is coming in from the opposite side.

I can still see him ending up as a centre half eventually, the lad can't cross for shit so that's always going to hamper him as a fullback, pretty easy for him to bulk up a bit and his positional play should improve with experience so any glaring weaknesses for a centre half should easily be covered in time.

Didn't he play most of his youth football at centre half?

I can still see him ending up as a centre half eventually, the lad can't cross for shit so that's always going to hamper him as a fullback, pretty easy for him to bulk up a bit and his positional play should improve with experience so any glaring weaknesses for a centre half should easily be covered in time.

Didn't he play most of his youth football at centre half?

I think his positioning and ability in the air would be two massive worries for anyone playing him centre half. I think he could make it there but with a bit of work he could be a quality full back.

I think his positioning and ability in the air would be two massive worries for anyone playing him centre half. I think he could make it there but with a bit of work he could be a quality full back.

I think his positioning at least would improve far more than his crossing simply through experience, the lads going to have been playing football a lot for at least at decade now, I don't see him suddenly being able to cross a ball significantly better than he does now.

His aerial ability could be more of an issue, though to be honest from what I've seen so far it's more that he doesn't go in for aerial challenges rather than losing out in them, he always seems to try and stop his man getting to the cross rather than dealing with it himself, now that may be bought about by a lack of confidence in the air but if it's just him trying to be a bit too clever then it shouldn't be too difficult a problem to fix.

He has shown he can cross though, it looks to me like his crossing is poor because he's not sure which cross to put in more than he can't cross. If he works on his decision making then his crossing will improve. Not sure on his aerial ability because it seems more of a technical issue, watching him in the warm up when they have the back 4 heading unopposed he's still pretty poor.

His crossing isn't great but it's far better than Scott Golbourne's was and not much worse than Doherty's who is pretty much only useful as an attacking wing back these days. For me, Iorfa is best going forward when he cuts in from the wing and runs at the opposition CM, it's unorthodox for a full back and pitting him up against a Champ CM for pace/physicality is an obvious mismatch. Defensively he has a lot to learn about defending the cross coming in from the other wing but 1-on-1 vs his opposition winger I don't think there's many better in this league.

His crossing isn't great but it's far better than Scott Golbourne's was and not much worse than Doherty's who is pretty much only useful as an attacking wing back these days. For me, Iorfa is best going forward when he cuts in from the wing and runs at the opposition CM, it's unorthodox for a full back and pitting him up against a Champ CM for pace/physicality is an obvious mismatch. Defensively he has a lot to learn about defending the cross coming in from the other wing but 1-on-1 vs his opposition winger I don't think there's many better in this league.

Agree that Iorfa 1 on 1 down his own side is fine as its very rare that he will be outdone for pace, but can get caught out with balls from the opposite side & doesn't always seem to see the danger point.

Not sure that he has the physicality or heading ability to play at CH (or at least not that we have been shown so far) - when he plays for England U21 I assume that he is still at FB

He is at full back and looking pretty good when they get it over to him, looks more than good enough at this level.

I think that is a decent summation on Iorfa. He needs to cut out the switching off at the far post for next season though, happens too often

I for one will be setting my expectations a lot lot lower next season unless a billionaire takes over in the close season. There is no way that this squad even at the top of its form is capable to sustain a premiership challenge. At best it could knock on the play offs door if everything went right and everyone played to top form. There is a lack of pace at the back, bang average goalkeeper, lack of creation in midfield, lack of killer instinct in front of goal. Its already clear that Zyro is injury prone. Its not his fault but its happened too often to be a coincidence. Couple that with a negative manager who sets up not to lose and I fear more of the same or worse . We dont know how Dicko will come back so jury is out there and we can only keep our fingers crossed for Jordan Graham. Martinez and Le Fondre will be off. Clubs will come knocking for Iorfa and maybe Hause. Lets hope their advisers think its in their interest to stay and learn or we could have another Afobe type situation looming. Looking for some green shoots of optimism to temper this feeling of impending doom but cant find any yet. Let us hope for a new owner, manager and half a dozen new quality players.

I for one will be setting my expectations a lot lot lower next season unless a billionaire takes over in the close season. There is no way that this squad even at the top of its form is capable to sustain a premiership challenge. At best it could knock on the play offs door if everything went right and everyone played to top form. There is a lack of pace at the back, bang average goalkeeper, lack of creation in midfield, lack of killer instinct in front of goal. Its already clear that Zyro is injury prone. Its not his fault but its happened too often to be a coincidence. Couple that with a negative manager who sets up not to lose and I fear more of the same or worse . We dont know how Dicko will come back so jury is out there and we can only keep our fingers crossed for Jordan Graham. Martinez and Le Fondre will be off. Clubs will come knocking for Iorfa and maybe Hause. Lets hope their advisers think its in their interest to stay and learn or we could have another Afobe type situation looming. Looking for some green shoots of optimism to temper this feeling of impending doom but cant find any yet. Let us hope for a new owner, manager and half a dozen new quality players.

You can hardly blame Zyro for a thug destroying his knee in a shocking challenge.

Darlow I didnt!!!

But it clearly is a coincidence. Zyro was perfectly fit and got his knee done by an outrageous tackle. That has absolutely zero to do with being injury prone.

He has had problems previously though hasn't he?

Wasn't there some talk from Poland when he signed that he was a bit frail, he missed most of the first half of the season over there through injury I think and now he's already on his second lengthy lay off in half a season over here, let's hope it doesn't become another Boukari situation.

That is irrelevant. You could be the most injury free player on earth and get your knee snapped by that challenge.

Back