• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

We'll have limited funds this pre season, of that none of us are under any illusions, however, if Jackett chooses to use any of it in his quest to replace Price when we have far more pressing concerns I'll lose my shit.

For the bored folk... At this point, if you could name one player you'd purchase during the summer to strengthen the first team, who would it be, and why? (and I'm obviously meaning realistic targets, not Messi et al!)

For the bored folk... At this point, if you could name one player you'd purchase during the summer to strengthen the first team, who would it be, and why? (and I'm obviously meaning realistic targets, not Messi et al!)

I would probably go for Curtis Davies from Hull City because I want a footballer at centre back who would help Wolves develop a passing game in all areas of the field. Composure and passing ability rather than hoofball.

-------------------new keeper-------------------------

Iorfa----Batth/Willo-----Hause------Doherty/ new LB

-----------Price----------NEW CM----------------------

Zyro--------------Mason--------------------Wallace/Byrne

---------------------Dicko-------------------------------

I'd be concentrating our efforts on a top quality CM but I can't see us doing that as we have Price/Saville/K-Mac/ Coady with Edwards and Evans to come back. So much averageness, I'd be looking for someone to go next to Price. If that is Evans or Saville (I can't see Coady improving as a footballer) stepping up then great.

Not included Graham because I don't think we will see him until 2017, maybe slightly earlier if we are lucky.

Hunte, Bright, Deslandes will have all had a year amongst the first team even if they haven't played much at all, they should be considered parts of the squad properly now I think. Then we have Ronan who is very highly rated at the club.

In order of importance:

Centre Forward. No guarantees on how long it'll take Dicko to come back to what he was

Left wing/midfield. Graham is out until the New Year and although Helan has offered balance I wouldn't want him permanently

Left Back. Doherty has shown he can do a reasonable job there but I don't see him as a long term option at the moment. Another good 8 games to the end of the season then maybe I will change my view

I'd rather channel all funds into these 3 positions rather than 5/6 signings of averageness. I don't see more than £2/3m being available so we need to spend well and prioritise. I'm hoping Ikeme has just had a poor season, but can see why others would want to replace.

Centre forward transfer possibilities.

Should Newcastle survive and remain in the Premier league Ivan Toney on a seasons loan.

No, wrong on all levels for me.

1) I don't see the benefit in us developing Newcastle's players for them

2) We have the likes of Bright Enobakhare, Aaron Collins, Bradley Reid and Donovan Wilson at the club - if we're going to use a young player then make it one of our own

3) This is an important spot in the squad to fill, I'd want someone with a much better record than 12 career league goals, all but one of them in League Two

I would solve the left back issue by getting Boilesen to join if it were in any way possible. I suspect there is no chance of it happening though.

My main areas of concern are as most posts above left back and goalkeeper. I hope Kenny will either learn something in the remaining games of how he feels we can move forward in performances especially at home, or is gone in the summer.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

At left back James Husband has been messed about these past two seasons so his sale price this summer will be nominal. Worth a chance?

I'd be looking at developing a trio of Hause, EEL and Iorfa for the middle defensive positions with the possibility of Iorfa playing a deep holding midfield role. Price and MacDonald are my first picks. We need two quality full backs. Graham deserves another go on the left and we need a wide right player. Wouldn't have the foggiest who I'd use to play the two striker positions. Suspect I would want different to Zyro and Mason.

Iorfa as a holding midfielder is one of the barmiest ideas I've seen. He's not good enough on the ball or positionally sound enough for that.

I'm excited to see a combination of Dicko, Mason, Zyro, Wallace and Graham. There's plenty of talent in there. Henry is an able deputy when required.

We may need another striker in that mix and I wouldn't be too bothered if Siggy was kept as that option. Then you've got the emerging youngsters.

Iorfa rb Doherty back up

Williamson and Batth cb, with suitable back up

AN Other lb backed up by Doherty and Deslandes.

LB is the area that needs a bit of love.

I'm not comfortable with having Doherty as any kind of option at RB, he has shown some reasonable signs at LB of late (long way to go yet, but much better) but he can't play on the other side at this level. He was appalling there by all accounts vs Brentford and he is routinely appalling there.

If some mug got taken in by this very short term burst of form and bid any amount of money for him in the summer we want to be snapping their hands off while the going's good.

If some mug got taken in by this very short term burst of form and bid any amount of money for him in the summer we want to be snapping their hands off while the going's good.

Hopefully. Suspect he know's that.

He's not great positionally, he's not very composed on the ball and his tackling isn't the best.

I don't want a defensive midfielder who gets dragged away from his position.

Iorfa's strengths are his freakish speed and above average dribbling. So naturally we should play him in a position that minimizes both of those attributes. Smart.

Don't think he will ever make it as a CB. Poor in the air and not strong enough. If we can really work at his on the ball qualities then he can Be a very good full back

Back