• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why do you live where you do / Why do you support Wolves?

Born in Stafford and parents had no interest in football but my Mum took me to Wolves at age 8 as I was football mad. At the time I was a Spurs fan as my older cousin was a Spurs fan. After couple of years switched to Wolves as I wanted to support a team I could watch regularly. Moved away briefly but back in Stafford and did a great job with my stepson who rapidly dropped Man United for Wolves. Wolves have played a huge part in my relationship with him and the only reason I renewed my ST this season. Grandson stands no chance!

Born in Cannock, my Dad is a Wolves fan and so was never really given the option for anything else! Always enjoyed wearing it as a badge of honour as a kid in primary school in amongst all of the (mainly) Man Utd fans/glory hunters!

Moved to Australia for a year aged 9 and then settled back in Heath Hayes and then Stafford on returning until 2004. Went to the play off final with Dad and managed to get a season ticket for the following PL season in the ballot.

We relocated to Hull/East Yorkshire in the summer of 2004 and so gave up the ST and was a little too young to be travelling on my own so ended up getting a ST to Hull City with friends from school and got to enjoy their rise through the leagues temporarily but it never really 'meant' anything.

Came to Nottingham in 2008 for University and have largely been here or in the area since. Have flirted with the idea of moving away a couple of times but reasonably settled here.

I didn't really have any connections to Wolves apart from my Dad (who has lived/worked abroad most of my life) but this place really changed that for me when I signed up 15+ years ago as it gave me a community to talk all things Wolves with for the first time in my life. Met some good friends as a result and meet ups before/after games and probably wouldn't care half as much as I do now in my mid-30s about Wolves if it wasn't for this place!

Managed to get a new ST after 4 years on the waiting list in 2022 and unfortunately still going now...

Born in Kingswinford but lived in Stourbridge for 50 years now. Supported Birmingham City until I was in my late teens because my grandad was General Manager there (he recruited Stan Cullis and Trevor Francis) and used to get free tickets or go up with my dad’s mate and his son.

Started going to Wolves in Division 3 championship winning season - first 4 games all won and Bully scored 3 or more goals in each game. Following season, got a season ticket after John Paskin’s last minute goal against Plymouth.

Born in Wolves, a long time ago, but have since moved "up North" to Penkridge area. All my family are from Wales, so I`m the black sheep of the family. Dad moved up here to get out of the pits. He could have had trials with Sheffield Wednesday ( God knows what a scout was doing down in the valleys ), but family finances dictated he had to go down the mines.Dad and Uncle took me to my first game early 60`s v Liverpool, we lost, can`t remember what year. Was hooked and forever pestered my Dad to take me again. Fair play, he took me a few times but his allegiance was to Swansea really. Finally started going regularly with a schoolpal aged 11. You could in those days.

Born in wolves, grew up in sedgley.

My dad start life as an Albion follower, but not a massive fan, and switched to wolves because he lived in the area and got pally with other wolves fans so went to games with them.

I started going when I was about 8 or so with my dad, and it got more frequent over the seasons until we got season tickets. Firstly in the John Ireland (as it was then) before I got old enough to move to the south bank. We used to go to every home game, a fair few away games and even some reserve games. It's the only thing my dad and I have ever really been able to communicate about.

It's one of my saddest memories is that I couldn't convince my dad to go during the championship season just to see how bloody good we were in the flesh. I got him a ticket for the sheff united home game but he decided he didn't want to go

Stopped going when I started uni at 18 as my dad couldn't afford it, and I couldn't being a student.

Moved around a bit after that and would, and still do, sporadically go to games. Live in Sutton Coldfield now and there just isn't room in my life for a season ticket. Still a fan for life though, and hoping when my little boy gets older I'll be in a position to take him.

Edit. That bobby Robson quote about falling in love and not being able to do a thing about it is so accurate

Yep if you genuinely support a club it’s terminal for life, levels of passion or commitment can vary for numerous reasons but you’ll always feel something every time you hear the results.
Its the one constant I've had in my life since childhood, regardless of whatever else happens. I'm sure others feel the same way too.

Its the one constant I've had in my life since childhood, regardless of whatever else happens. I'm sure others feel the same way too.

I agree they’re always there, I’ve learnt to push them to the back of my priorities but feel privileged that for 9 months a year once a week they provide 2 hours of escapism from the reality of life.

Born in London, raised in Harlow. Liked football as a kid but with no proper local team (they all support Spurs now, because Hoddle) and no family allegiance I was more interested in music. Moved to Wolvo in 1971 to go to the poly. Made local friends there and got taken to my first game (Texaco Cup v. Ipswich). Was blown away by the passion and atmosphere in the NB, even though it was a shit game on a Tuesday night. After that, you couldn't keep me away. (Among our regular NB group was a guy called John Hendley. I wouldn't swear it was Foz, but he was the same shape; he was good friends with an Ian Walker - Wack - played guitar and sang a song called 'Dock Leaf', if that rings any bells.) Lived in Heath Town and Whitmore Reans before making it to Castlecroft (and the Firs!). Sold up and left Wolvo in 1989 to go travelling; returned a year later, homeless, and decided to live in Devon. After a few moves, I've finally ended up in Torbay. The three guys I used to hang around most with have all moved away too, many years ago, two to the USA and one to Ipswich, but we still send each other verdict emails after every game. Some things just don't leave you.

the passion and atmosphere in the NB

Nothing changed there then 👀

Born in Wolves and raised in Pendeford, and then Willenhall before taking my Wolves shirt on a tour of the South.

Spent 3 years in Witney, Oxfordshire with my mate D-Cam, a couple of years in Wantage before heading to Farnborough, back up to Solihull before settling now in Telford

Born near the West Park in the fifties into a long line of Wolves supporters on both sides of the family. Saw my first game in 1960. Our family moved away to South Manchester in the mid- sixties - all the kids at school supported Manure or Citeh. Used to go to Maine Road as I wasn't old enough to travel back to Molineux. Never changed colours though! Moved to London for work in the 70's and ended up in North Wales 20 odd years ago. Gave up the season ticket when the scouse git was driving the club into the ground - much as many of you are doing now with Fosun - it was a point of principle.

Got a season ticket at Wrexham, long before the razzamatazz started, so as I could continue seeing live football. Love everything that has happened at Wrexham since R & R arrived, but will be rooting for our U21's when they travel to Cae Ras in the cup this season!

Someone did a survey of around 2,000 Wolves fans from 'Dingles Ay We' and it produced the following results of where people said they lived in the West Midlands, but didn't take account of those further afield. No real surprises, Tipton strong though considering in Sandwell: -
I'm a Wolves fan living in Tipton. I wasn't brought up here though, moved 14 years ago. I would say Tipton is probably 70/30 Albion/Wolves though.

I'm a Wolves fan living in Tipton. I wasn't brought up here though, moved 14 years ago. I would say Tipton is probably 70/30 Albion/Wolves though.
Yeah it is around Great Bridge/Dudley Port. But round Princes End its about 50-50 according to my mates who come from there, then you go into Bradley where its 80% Wolves. 'The Tibby' used to be a bit of a Wolves stronghold in Tipton (around Ivy Road), one mate lived nearby in 'Hawthorne' Road on the Lost City I think, ironically.

I'm a Wolves fan because my Dad was, his side of the family were from Wolverhampton originally so there was no real choice there. Born in Redditch, lived in Hollywood until I was around 5 or 6 then moved to Dunblane, Norfolk, then back to Dunblane. Went to uni in Dundee, spent some time in Stirling & Falkirk and now living in Warwick since 2019.

Always loved being a Wolves fan in places like Norfolk and Scotland. I think it made me slightly more obsessed than I would've been if I had grown up in the Midlands.

My Grandad was never interested in football and had 4 sisters luckily my uncle (his older sisters then boyfriend/future husband) was a Manchester United fan and took my dad to his first ever game, which was at Molineux where United beat Wolves 3-2 - I'm not 100% sure but I think it was in 1967. Our family have always lived in Cannock, so it was local enough for him to start going regularly and then he started taking me and my brother as we got old enough. I think my first game was when I was around 4 but I can't remember who we played or any of the details around my first game. I now have a son of my own and I will start taking him at some point so he can join in the misery.

Brought up in Coseley, I've been a fan for longer than I can remember. My dad started taking me to the reserves when I was five and the first "proper" game I saw was versus Carlisle in January 1967. Moved to London for uni, and have never lived back in the West Midlands since. Arrived in Cambridge in 1986 via Brighton, Ontario (briefly) and Manchester. Both kids were born here, but are also die-hard Wolves. My son's partner is a Pompey fan, so there's work to do to ensure a fourth generation, if and when that happens.

Apparently my dad's dad was an Albion fan, but he died when my dad was three, so he started to go to Wolves with his mates in the 1940's. The rest of my dad's family are/were Albion, but my mom's side are all Wolves fans. She went to school with Norman Deeley.

Born in Stafford & now live in the North West. My Dad & his dad were Wolves fans from Wheaton Aston. My dad took me to my first Wolves game in the 90's & I've been hooked since.

Mine’s a bit of an odd one.

Always lived in the south (brought up in Berkshire, live near Brighton now) but I have an older cousin who was married to Mike Stowell when I was a kid. Used to get kits/gloves and go to the odd game as a result.

By about 97/98 i reckon was when I started getting more into football and the Wolves connection meant that they became my team. I remember going to his testimonial against Villa which must have been 1999 I guess and getting to go to the dinner event afterwards where I met such legends as Steve Stone and Gareth Barry.
Obviously Mick wasn’t around for much longer from that point and they’re divorced now but I was already fully in by that point.

I managed to get to a couple of local away games at Crawley and Colchester when we were in league one which I enjoyed but in general I’ve spent most of my adult life working weekends and at minimum wage so never been much room to get to games.

Back