• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

What's with all this #10 stuff? Peter Broadbent was a good number 10. John White of Spurs was considered one of the best. They played in a fashion that wouldn't work in the football of today. Can those of you proposing we need a #10 give some examples of players they consider good number 10s so that I have a clue what you're talking about.

Really glad I signed off at 11 pm & missed this last bit of pointless discussion.

We have no way of knowing who else we were in negotiation for but were unable to tempt in (& we know that the Club are not going to confirm/deny anything). Mention made of Lingard going to Derby, for all we know we were discussing with MU then Derby come into the picture & Lingard preferred that option - nothing to do with money.

We have a decent squad, though am surprised that people like Jacobs not been given much of a chance, but that's use of it rather that it not being there. Loan window opens shortly though would expect any incoming (if there are any) to wait a few days to ensure they can be here to the season end.

Afobe in & Clarke out. Sako still here. Johnson removed. Not unhappy with that during a window when really very little happened anywhere.

Life of a football supporter - always want more than we get!

The only thing I now worry about, and I'm probably off the mark with this. But with Leon offski, does this make Doyle third choice striker?

I think our first eleven, if they can show a bit more belief, is a good one for this division and will keep improving. With players like Henry/van la Parra, Afobe, Evans to call on in't that bad in my opinion. And we have Graham/Hunte/Bancessi who are all talented young player who when the time is right will be given an opportunity if they deserve it.

The only thing I now worry about, and I'm probably off the mark with this. But with Leon offski, does this make Doyle third choice striker?

Loan market I reckon.

Not too fussed about yesterday's lack of incoming transfers - the outgoings were all positive moves and I didn't think we'd get rid of Johnson until the summer. So although it wasn't the best transfer window for us, it wasn't the worst either.

Reid or Keita, i'd have either on the bench ahead of Doyle. (unless either are out on loan obviously as i don't follow the ins and outs of our youth)

Edit: Fnarr!

A good window if your Kenny Jackett having covered the teams weakness with speed up top should Dicko be unavailable. Holding on to Sako which enables us balance going forward. Removing more deadwood from the ranks who were eating up large amounts of money.
Its a good streamlined squad that allows the youth to develop and see a pathway forward while still retaining depth in all positions. A smart window rather than a headline window.

We don't have a number 10 ready to go in the U21s unfortunately but my point is that you can't just keep signing players forever. It would have been easy for Ken to sign a RB on loan in late November - he went with a kid. Surely that is the way to go.

You can't just use a blanket approach either way though can you? You can't refuse to sign replacements for Edwards or whoever else you feel needs upgrading on just because it worked out at right back with Iorfa coming in and doing well from the youth team, likewise you can't just go and make a new signing everytime there's an issue because you block the development of someone like Iorfa. You've got to judge each individual case on it's own merits. When right back was an issue it made sense to give a highly rated young lad a chance to see if he could step up, he's done that and it's worked out, same happened over on the left with Hause though his impact wasn't nearly as impressive and he's since taken a step back now that Golbourne is back. The same thing happened for McAlinden, he'd done well on loan and had chances back at Wolves in the first team but he's struggled to make much impact so he's been pushed back by the signing of Afobe now.

If there is no-one in the U21s who looks anything like ready then you may as well skip that step of giving a youngster a chance, in this instance, and just go straight ahead with sourcing a replacement for that position externally, you're not blocking anyone's development that way because there was no-one there ready to make the step up anyway.

I personally believe Edwards is largely unfit for purpose - but the manager doesn't feel that way! We can debate the "vacancy" there all we like but he thinks Edwards is good in that position. There isn't a vacancy. For me Jacobs is a clear upgrade and we already own him - the manager thinks otherwise. If he wants to upgrade on Edwards then he'll be looking for someone with similar energy levels but better at scoring and creating. I don't think he's looking for one and I don't think he'll find one. Number 10s don't generally run around a lot.

74eriksen2908a.jpg

A smart window rather than a headline window.

There weren't really any headlines for any side though TBH - a much quieter window, with clubs maybe cottoning on to the fact that there's fuck all value out there in January, especially on deadline day when clubs are reluctant to lose players without a replacement being lined up.

The twitter meltdown from the fans of our beloved neighbours is a case in point - loads of deals on the table but for various reasons, most of them didn't go through.

I think and hope that the deadline day furore is starting to calm down a bit - SSN don't help by hyping it up to the ridiculous levels they do, and the likes of David Gold tweeting what he did last night before it all went to pot will learn from that.

The fact that fuck all happened yesterday and the highlight of SSN was seeing Jim White dance to MC Hammer summed it up for me.

The headline as I see it went to Derby County in the Championship. Who could have beaten the deals they were able to offer Ince and Lingard. High in the table with the opportunity to offer very good Premier league promotion bonus.
Wolves for me are just looking to improve season by season by just doing things right rather than trying to build to quickly with the quick fix approach that has served us badly through the decades.

Afobe in, kept sako.. Johnson and clarke gone a smart window I'd say. Never any value in January, with everyone available we have a very capable side. The loan window to cover injuries and then we look again in the summer. A lot of armchair manager on his telling us all what we need CB, CM etc would you rather we threw money around and end up with the likes of ohara and Johnson again or we build and add the right players at the right time? As for the jacobs debate KJ sees him everyday and doesn't fancy him, didn't get much of a run at Derby either. For me he is too lightweight and one paced, a good league one player but the step up is too much for him, that's why he was only £150,000.

Loan market I reckon.

Not too fussed about yesterday's lack of incoming transfers - the outgoings were all positive moves and I didn't think we'd get rid of Johnson until the summer. So although it wasn't the best transfer window for us, it wasn't the worst either.

Johnson leaving is a massive boost. If we do find ourselves short it frees up a fair wad of wages to bring in a loan signing or two. I do think the likes of Johnson, Doyle and O'Hara were/are a bigger drain on our resources than some fans seem to realise.

As has been said, keeping Sako until at least the end of the season was better than bringing in a player 90% of our fans had never heard of.

Johnson leaving is a massive boost. If we do find ourselves short it frees up a fair wad of wages to bring in a loan signing or two. I do think the likes of Johnson, Doyle and O'Hara were/are a bigger drain on our resources than some fans seem to realise.

Fans see clubs like Bolton adding players to an already bloated squad on higher wages than they can afford and get swept up in that silly type of fantasy football management.
Wolves thank god are dealing in the reality of the situation We should be thankful to Kenny Jackett because he has enabled a far better recovery than could have been anticipated from where were as a club two seasons ago.

Wolves thank god are dealing in the reality of the situation We should be thankful to Kenny Jackett because he has enabled a far better recovery than could have been anticipated from where were as a club two seasons ago.

Indeed. I think some forget that this time two years ago we were staring down the barrel of a gun. The squad turnover in that time has been pretty phenomenal.

Just reading these quotes from Kenny and I find it very encouraging
“I’m very confident of the group.

“Us finding a balance between attack and defence is a big one really.

“That’s something you’re consistently looking for instead of at different times saying ‘come on, we've got to stop the goals against, we've got to compete better,’

“We want to be in the games more, which we weren't for a spell.

“Going from there, to keeping it as tight and as competitive as that, but opening up and actually dominating the opposition is where we want to get to.

“Us getting the balance, the mix of players, pace, ability, goal scorers, short passers, long passers, defenders, forwards, that mix is there it’s just about getting the right one.

“I’m confident of getting that right.”

Pretty much how I see it, we need to be a bit braver and dominate the game higher up the pitch and I'm glad KJ sees that. I do wonder if he thinks we can do that with Edwards as the link man. Last season we really clicked when we switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Jacobs behind the forward and I think a similar player in that role (I still think Jacobs could be that player) would have the same effect in my opinion.

Now the current squad consists of

Keepers - 3 Ikeme, McCarey and Kruschak

RB - Doherty & Iorfa

LB - Golbourne & Hause ( really a CB)

CB - Baath, Stearman & EEL

CM - MacDonald, Price, Evans, Rowe

AM - Edwards

Wingers: Sako, RVLP, Henry & Jacobs

ST - Dicko and Afobe

That is only 21 players and we have 18 in a match day squad. So if you r fit u play !!!

Those in bold r the players who have good experience in this league = 8 and only 6 of those are outfield players

Others - Doyle, Ricketts and Saville on loan

Conclusion we have a young inexperienced squad with only 2 strikers and not 1 fit player for central midfield who has played regularly in this league before this season.

Of the teams above us we are so behind in goals scored its unreal and all we sign is 1 striker and let one go

If after reading this anyone thinks the club really wants to go up then you are deluded.

I don't quite get all this freeing up wages thing. That doesn't particularly help us immediately as the club will have still had to pay him off in some respect, which is presumably the majority if not all of his contract. So presumably the club will have accounted for the wages somehow in terms of cashflow up until the summer?

Granted after the summer it looks better, even more so with Doyle's wages off the books, but until then, the club will still feel the impact.

If after reading this anyone thinks the club really wants to go up then you are deluded.

The club doesn't want to go up. Morgan is far too interested in collecting a meagre few million in the Championship rather than the 100's of millions available for going up.

[QUOTE

If after reading this anyone thinks the club really wants to go up then you are deluded.[/QUOTE]

That is shouting the no ambition i.e. don't want to spend any money argument. Whatever the plan of the club is, promotion would be seen as a huge benefit surely and not something to be avoided at all costs.

FWIW I think the club sees every possibility of Wolves being there or thereabouts in terms of promotion via the play-offs and can't identify any achievable players that would dramatically improve the squad within the confines of a sensible budget.

Back