• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

3 goals, 5 assists... I haven't seen him play so I can't say for certain but that's not a fantastic return IMV.

He's been the best player in the league in the first half of the season IMO.

Would rather have Luongo on a permanent than Lingard on a loan. Slightly worried that neither will arrive and we'll sign Maidstone's RB on deadline day...

Would rather have Luongo on a permanent than Lingard on a loan. Slightly worried that neither will arrive and we'll sign Maidstone's RB on deadline day...

Assuming Sako doesn't leave and on the bases that he's moved house within Wolverhampton it suggests he won't be going anywhere, then I'm quite happy with what we've got. That said, I'm pretty sure we will see Lingard signed and Kenny was watching a match abroad last night, so we must be close to signing someone overseas.

Yeah, cause Wolverhampton is so far from West Brom..... :stirthepot:

Assuming Sako doesn't leave and on the bases that he's moved house within Wolverhampton it suggests he won't be going anywhere, then I'm quite happy with what we've got. That said, I'm pretty sure we will see Lingard signed and Kenny was watching a match abroad last night, so we must be close to signing someone overseas.

Takes a wild guess: Angers vs Brest in Ligue 2 or Jong PSV vs Jong Twente. Failing that he had a proper jolly and went to South Korea vs Japan...

That said, I'm pretty sure we will see Lingard signed and Kenny was watching a match abroad last night, so we must be close to signing someone overseas.
So you've gone from 100% to 'pretty sure' I used to revere you and your information, now I cant even look my avatar in the face !

:)

After the Brighton game at Molineux, I was told be a director that money was available and that "lots of targets" had been identified.

So is it just me, or do Wolves really find it so much harder to sign players to improve the First XI than our rivals.

For example Bolton ( massively in debt) have just signed a striker Le Fondre and a winger from Benfica.

Now, we may not have wanted those players, but Neil Lennon obviously believes that they will improve his team.

So why do we struggle to convert targets into signings, players who are better than our current First XI.

Afobe was a good start but as we all know more is needed, to give us a good chance to get into the play offs.

Am I wrong to assume that compared to most teams in this league our faclilities are better and we can afford higher wages than most or am I being naieve ???

Yes we can afford higher wages. We're just giving them to Doyle and Johnson.

After the Brighton game at Molineux, I was told be a director that money was available and that "lots of targets" had been identified.

So is it just me, or do Wolves really find it so much harder to sign players to improve the First XI than our rivals.

For example Bolton ( massively in debt) have just signed a striker Le Fondre and a winger from Benfica.

Now, we may not have wanted those players, but Neil Lennon obviously believes that they will improve his team.

So why do we struggle to convert targets into signings, players who are better than our current First XI.

Afobe was a good start but as we all know more is needed, to give us a good chance to get into the play offs.

Am I wrong to assume that compared to most teams in this league our faclilities are better and we can afford higher wages than most or am I being naieve ???

Teams try and gazump each other - happened to us with Delort.
Just so happens that whilst we can afford to pay higher wages and transfer fees, the people at the top will not pay over the odds for players.
Which is why Wigan are stuck with a no goals striker on an inflated wage.

Our facilities are better than most if not all in this league. There is a big difference between wages we can afford and those we will pay. Kenny is on record (I think) as saying he does not want a big disparity in wages across the squad.

We are also looking for first team starters not squad fillers. The exception to that I think should have been a Sako temporary replacement. KJ said in Nov/Dec we wanted someone in to cover him and it disappoints me we haven't got one. Although 10/12 points this far is a good return without him, there must be competent left footed wide options out there that we could have brought in for a month or so.

Kusczak, Goldbourne, McDonald, Jacobs, Henry, Dicko, Efobe,Ricketts, Van La Parra, Clarke, Rowe, Saville all signed by Jackett over 4 transfer windows - that's not really a poor return. Add to that he has successfully integrated a number of younger players into the team I think it is a bit unfair to be hugely critical of our transfer policy especially as over the same period we won promotion from league 1 and currently sit just outside the play offs.

Kusczak, Goldbourne, McDonald, Jacobs, Henry, Dicko, Efobe,Ricketts, Van La Parra, Clarke, Rowe, Saville all signed by Jackett over 4 transfer windows - that's not really a poor return. Add to that he has successfully integrated a number of younger players into the team I think it is a bit unfair to be hugely critical of our transfer policy especially as over the same period we won promotion from league 1 and currently sit just outside the play offs.

Yeah, but you know talking sense doesn't prove anything.

Of those 12 half have contributed very little this season which is why we need a successful transfer window to take advantage of the opportunity we currently have. Hence my frustration

Of those 12 half have contributed very little this season which is why we need a successful transfer window to take advantage of the opportunity we currently have. Hence my frustration

Golbourne; McDonald; Henry; Van La Parra; Dicko; have all contributed and you could say Kusczak has too by putting real pressure on Ikeme to perform. Ricketts was brought in for last season to help steady the ship and has been worth every penny we've given him; Afobe has just signed. The Jacobs situation just baffles me as he hasn't been given the chance to contribute in the position he excelled in last season.

Rowe has had a fair few injuries; We all knew what we were getting with Clarke and he has got us some vital points with the winner at Leeds; Saville is only young and a work in progress

No club has a perfect record when it comes to transfers but given where we where and where we are I would say our transfer policy compares very favourably. It is sustainable, effective and based on gradual improvement. We have struggled to sign players in those positions where many teams struggle -namely the attacking third -as good players in these positions are highly coveted.

No club has a perfect record when it comes to transfers but given where we where and where we are I would say our transfer policy compares very favourably. It is sustainable, effective and based on gradual improvement. We have struggled to sign players in those positions where many teams struggle -namely the attacking third -as good players in these positions are highly coveted.

You are right. We are where we are because our defence is so good.

However, our performance at the other end is cause for concern. We are not scoring enough goals.

I'll say it again that our shooting is just not good enough. KJ has admitted after our FA cup exit that we don't practice penalties so I feel that all our players need to practice shooting from all angles concentrating on hitting the target.
Time and again I see the after-match stats showing figures like against Charlton - 12 shots 2 on target. Even they had 6 shots with 4 on target.

Everybody can't have a cannonball shot, or a swerving dipper, but if you are going to shoot at least get it on target.

If our players can't, then get others in who can.

I don't think we've even tried to sign attacking players in the central positions which is part of the problem. A striker yes but we haven't attracted a decent winger/ cover for Sako and their are plenty of left sided players around that we could have gotten in on loan.

Your first post on transfer policy should be split. Last season it was clearly a success with the right players in at the right time (bar one) but this season's transfer policy has been very poor with only one player (Afobe given a pass as he's only just got here) making any first team impact. That's abysmal for any club. Add that the most expensive signing was neither needed or successful then I think the recruitment team and KJ need a good period of evaluation and some alteration as it isn't working in this division.

It is a nonsense to say that we can't sign players or that our targets will not come to us. It is relatively easy at this level to identify players that will improve the first XI, not so to sign them without breaking wage structures.

Everybody can't have a cannonball shot, or a swerving dipper, but if you are going to shoot at least get it on target.

If our players can't, then get others in who can.

Dead easy to do that isn't it? And where do we find these players that only hit the target?

Finally, WWFC facilities are not as good as Norwich, Derby, Middlesborough and Reading and are on a par with Blackburn, Leeds, Fulham and Bolton IMO. I can only go on what I've seen and know and I haven't seen Rotherham, Watford, Huddersfield and Charlton so they might be better or worse.

I don't think we've even tried to sign attacking players in the central positions which is part of the problem

Does our formation allow for us to have attacking players in the central position though? Our midfield went missing in November and the result was a defence being over ran and 5 defeats on the bounce and a couple of heavy defeats thrown in

(I know the above when put through Deutschtranslate will read "Does our formation allow for us to have attacking players in the central position though? BECAUSE OF MATT FUCKING DOHERTY)

Back