• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

I know the loan window will soon be open, but genuinely surprised we haven't brought a forward in. Of the deals done Becchio is the player I would have liked along with Murray if he is over his injury and the price was right. If Dicko were to get injured I have no doubt we'd bring someone in straight away, but that would have to be who is available at that point in time, so we are relying on an element of luck there. I understand the stated desire that anyone we sign has to be good enough to replace one of the first 11, but in this one position I think we should be looking to improve what we have below Dicko, if they are better than him than great, but in reality need to be an upgrade on Clarke. I'm hoping someone is already lined up, but a deal couldn't be done just yet, for instance Leicester signed Lawrence and Powell very late on so perhaps Wood might be available in a couple of weeks.

I would like to know if KJ is comfortable with the situation, if so then I trust his judgement, if not (and we'll never know this), then I'd be disappointed if he felt he hadn't been supported by the Board.

Overall though a decent window. 3 players signed to be genuine first 11 contenders and 4 high earners off the books - 3 permanently, and one until Jan at least, when someone will pick him up on a free worse case I would imagine.

There's always a tinge of dissapointment when we don't bring anyone in on deadline day but i think the best bit of business we've done this window is keeping Sako, who knows, his goals could prove the need for an extra striker irrelevant.

Wood will definitely be available on loan - it's whether we are interested anymore after failing to agree terms before

Under a loan Leicester may subsidise a part of his wages to make the deal happen.

Still leaves us in the same position come January though

For whatever reason, Leicester City failed in their attempts to bring in a striker, so I do not think they will allow Wood to leave on loan.

Still leaves us in the same position come January though

And that would be the issue I think for KT and KJ. They don't seem to like bringing loans in that aren't potentially going to become permanent deals

And that would be the issue I think for KT and KJ. They don't seem to like bringing loans in that aren't potentially going to become permanent deals

My guess would be that they have already identified their targets. There really is no problem. KJ used the loan market so well last season, as he also did at Millwall, and he will bring in a couple of players.

There really is no problem..

There must be a problem. The internet melted last night and lots of people thumped their keyboards with anger last night. So many lives have been affected by the lack of a signing, some refuse to go to work today due to the threat of being fired or picked on or ridiculed because the club didn't spend.

The funniest part last night was the link to the lad from Oldham. 99.9% of people had never heard of him and inside 3 hours he was suddenly the answer and then he joined Rotherham and the world ended (despite us not actually being in for him)

I hope KJ uses McAlinden as Dicko's backup rather than Clarke until/unless we get a loan striker in. Always thought he looks good and we know he has an eye for goal, certainly would rather him than Clarke get on the pitch.

You know you shouldn't but sometimes you just can't help yourself, just had a look at the Mix, oh dear!, probably just as well there's a break.

There must be a problem. The internet melted last night and lots of people thumped their keyboards with anger last night. So many lives have been affected by the lack of a signing, some refuse to go to work today due to the threat of being fired or picked on or ridiculed because the club didn't spend.

The funniest part last night was the link to the lad from Oldham. 99.9% of people had never heard of him and inside 3 hours he was suddenly the answer and then he joined Rotherham and the world ended (despite us not actually being in for him)

What I can't understand is that this happens every single transfer window. And certainly during the time KJ has been with us, he has been proven right not to just buy for the sake of it. It also seems - according to various journalists - that it's been Jackett himself who hasn't been keen on paying high wages to upset the dressing room dynamic. Yet STILL the impatient mouth breathers out there are unable to see past their blinkered hatred of the board and continue to froth at the mouth.

I just gave up arguing with them after about 6pm last night and just enjoyed the meltdown from the comfort of my armchair.

What I can't understand is that this happens every single transfer window. And certainly during the time KJ has been with us, he has been proven right not to just buy for the sake of it. It also seems - according to various journalists - that it's been Jackett himself who hasn't been keen on paying high wages to upset the dressing room dynamic. Yet STILL the impatient mouth breathers out there are unable to see past their blinkered hatred of the board and continue to froth at the mouth.

I just gave up arguing with them after about 6pm last night and just enjoyed the meltdown from the comfort of my armchair.

This, right here! Seen quite a bit this morning along the lines of "Morgan is laughing all the way to the bank" which is an argument I really hate! I mean, yeah of course he's being tight fisted when we have obviously been trying to get strikers in, when we tried to get Delort for £3 million or something around that!

Maybe this will distract them a bit from the footballing side of Morgan though... ;)

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/west...ail&utm_campaign=_2nd_Sep_2014_-_Daily_E-mail

EDIT: Here comes the Twitter comments! "Wolves' chairman has had the fans' pants down this morning. Impeccably announced the day after window shuts. #wwfc "

We've got rid of O'Hara, Ward, Doyle, Doumbia.

We've kept Sako, McDonald.

We've signed Rowe, Van La Parra, Saville.

We DIDN'T address the striker situation, we DIDN'T manage to shift Johnson, Foley, Margreitter, Boukari. So being critical, it's obviously not been the perfect window.

We have the opportunity to bring in a striker and offload Johnson, Foley, Margreitter before we next kick a ball. We won't shift the injured Boukari. I believe we will get a striker on loan, and I believe Johnson will leave on loan.

Marks out of 10 for the window? Got to be around 7/10 IMO. Absolutely nothing to start foaming at the mouth about and shouting abuse at the board. Again.

.... of course he's being tight fisted when we have obviously been trying to get strikers in, when we tried to get Delort for £3 million or something around that!

Don't think he was Hamlet. Slightly OTT there.
We went in for him but he chose Wigan because they were going to pay him more than we were.
We seem to have a really good squad all in or around a set salary range.
It'd be folly to bring someone in who wanted miles more than we were paying anyone else.

I think we've learned lessons here from our past.
Maybe when we get to the Prem again, then we can be talking about £40+ a week, but now that greedy bastard Doyle on his £42k has gone, we really don't want to be going back there again, you naughty young pup!

With the amount of "panic" signings last night, I am pleased that KJ kept away from the madness. He will bring in players as and when it is right for Wolves. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

Also, surely Foley will find another club.

We've got rid of O'Hara, Ward, Doyle, Doumbia.

We've kept Sako, McDonald.

We've signed Rowe, Van La Parra, Saville.

We DIDN'T address the striker situation, we DIDN'T manage to shift Johnson, Foley, Margreitter, Boukari. So being critical, it's obviously not been the perfect window.

We have the opportunity to bring in a striker and offload Johnson, Foley, Margreitter before we next kick a ball. We won't shift the injured Boukari. I believe we will get a striker on loan, and I believe Johnson will leave on loan.

Marks out of 10 for the window? Got to be around 7/10 IMO. Absolutely nothing to start foaming at the mouth about and shouting abuse at the board. Again.

I think that's a damn good summation of the window, although I think it's more of a 5/6 than a 7. I think we've done the minimum for us to be competitive (and I mean pushing for the play off's) at this level which is no bad thing.

I understand Jackett's stance on the wages but it's folly if true. To get better players you need to have higher wage earners, that's just a fact of the market football is not anything to do with principal. I think we may have missed out on somebody like Bamford because of this and that may well prove to be the limitations of Jackett as a manager (he had to have one as his football is breathtaking).

Kudos to the board and KT for putting the targets up, bidding on them and getting the bids accepted but it's a little short sighted from the manager not to get players in on higher wages so as not to upset the squad. It has to happen at some point and I do understand his thinking it's just against the tide of the market he's in (if the wages rumour is true).

Edit: That's not to say I want to see another JoH, Johnson and Doyle situation but controlled wage structures for progression is necessary.

Last edited:
We went down the higher wage earners road a couple of years ago, and look at the mess we were left in.

Back